UKBouldering.com

Weston Super Mare(ish) climbing (Read 4865 times)

rich d

• forum hero
Weston Super Mare(ish) climbing
June 24, 2013, 09:38:35 am
So off with assorted family to a cottage near weston supermare at end of august. Any locals got some info on bouldering down there (especially the sort of sneak off for a quick session, or it'd be a lovely place for the kids to play sort of locations).
We're only about 2 miles from brean down which seems to have some sport climbing on it. Cheers Rich

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: Weston Super Mare(ish) climbing
June 24, 2013, 09:47:50 am
http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,21021.0.html

Not too far away?

Someone posted a pic up here recently of a good looking roof in Cheddar somewhere

and there's uphill quarry as well

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=128

crimp

#2 Re: Weston Super Mare(ish) climbing
June 24, 2013, 10:03:19 am
For sloping off on your own for a bit there's Wood Lane Quarry in Weston itself. And a stones throw away are the Toll Road Crags.

with the kids i would say Brean Down for beach and goats. Sand Point for nice family walk. Ladye Bay. Uphill Quarry lovely family walk and great views above quarry.

Really, anything in the Avon and Cheddar guidebook is easily reachable from Weston. Goblin Combe id recommend a visit as well

rich d

• forum hero
#3 Re: Weston Super Mare(ish) climbing
June 24, 2013, 10:12:47 am
Cheers guys, I'll have a proper look at those when I get home from work tonight. Rich

lukeh

• addict
#4 Re: Weston Super Mare(ish) climbing
June 24, 2013, 11:03:19 am
Goblin Combe id recommend a visit as well
Goblin Combe is full of ticks at this time of year...

Someone posted a pic up here recently of a good looking roof in Cheddar somewhere
Tombstone, great problem but virtually no other bouldering in the gorge, and not a great spot for the family where the problem is (goat shit cave...) - although the gorge itself will be heaving with tourists, which is why there is no access from 1st of July to 1st of Sept)

Have a look at Toll Road Crags as Adge mentioned are a stones throw from Weston.

A bit further along at Sandy Point is The Prow

Baldy

• obsessive maniac
  • Low Bawler
    • CBclimbing
#5 Re: Weston Super Mare(ish) climbing
June 24, 2013, 11:16:26 am
Bouldering down that way is a bit wank,

If it were me, I would try to find a partner to pop down to Brean for a day.
It is one of my favourite sport areas in the UK, good range of routes from 6b-8b and a niceish beach to doss about on for the family...

Ladye bay is starting to get a little development, but I dont really know where you would find any details on it.

crimp

#6 Re: Weston Super Mare(ish) climbing
June 24, 2013, 11:20:46 am
Check the UKB Bristol wiki. There's some bouldering topos etc. And annual tide table for Weston Super Mud.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal