UKBouldering.com

Germany / Frankenjura (Read 2905 times)

pete D

Germany / Frankenjura
May 14, 2013, 11:34:59 pm
First up is the offer of a lift to the Frankenjura...

I've lined up a sport climbing trip for the last week of May to the Frankenjura with two friends. I'm driving out from Sheffield on the evening of Fri 24th. Unfortunately, my 2 friends can't join me until Monday evening, so I have 3 places in the car on the way out if anyone needs a lift. The 3 of us are driving back on Sunday 2nd June, so we'll have one place in the car on the way back. Let me know if either journey is of interest to anyone.

Next up, I'll be on my own for the first Sunday and Monday of that week. I'll be taking my pad so I can go bouldering but is there anyone on here who will be in the Frankenjura that wouldn't mind me joining them for some routes? Lastly, can anyone recommend crags / climbers campsites where I'd have a good chance of meeting other people to climb with?

Cheers

Pete

a dense loner

• forum hero
#1 Re: Germany / Frankenjura
May 15, 2013, 05:08:24 am
I can't remember the name of campsite pete but the one directly under the route "subway" seemed to be the one to stay at. Nice location etc. If you've not been before the Jura is the one place I felt like putting a harness on

ianv

• forum abuser
#2 Re: Germany / Frankenjura
May 15, 2013, 06:34:30 am
There is a campsite under the barenschleucht wande. I think this is where most climbers stay nowadays. A good bouldering venue to meet people is the klagemauer. The valley next to the klagemauer, trubachtal has a load of crags close to the road for spotting potential Hookups.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#3 Re: Germany / Frankenjura
May 15, 2013, 06:46:27 am
Two other popular climber's campsites are Oma Eichler at Untertrubach, which is kind of like the Eric's at Tremadog / Pete's Eats / Camp Four of the Frankenjura, or the one behind the pub at Morschreuth. Both are ok but get overcrowded, which might not be an entirely bad thing from the hooking up point of view. Smaller and less well known, maybe quieter, is Gasthof Fischer at Stierberg which is where I usually stay. (Avoid the big campsite on the main road at Betzenstein at all costs)

JohnM

• junky
#4 Re: Germany / Frankenjura
May 15, 2013, 09:34:10 am
If you go to Weissenstein on a weekend it will probably be easy to get a belay as it is always quite busy.  Good crag to get going as well with some quality juggy low to mid 7s.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#5 Re: Germany / Frankenjura
May 16, 2013, 07:04:44 am
Turns out I have Sunday 26th free and no partner lined up yet. If you're happy to belay somebody puntering around on 6's ...

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#6 Re: Germany / Frankenjura
May 16, 2013, 09:25:43 am
A good bouldering venue to meet people is the klagemauer.
I didn't boulder when I was in the Frankenjura but I did have a look at various bouldering venues. I'd have to say Klagemauer was the least appeal (to me) of these. It's a good place if you like polished oldschool steep wall stuff on crimps and small pockets. Very Rubiconesque. I think I'd have enjoyed the the steeper slopier stuff at the newer places  e.g. Time Tunnel. Could be a good place to meet boulderers, but they might all me skinny little crimp freaks.

ianv

• forum abuser
#7 Re: Germany / Frankenjura
May 16, 2013, 12:00:01 pm
but they might all me skinny little crimp freaks

Fuck me you are on form today   :lol:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#8 Re: Germany / Frankenjura
May 16, 2013, 12:12:03 pm
Mentions a popular campsite in this video...

pete D

#9 Re: Germany / Frankenjura
May 16, 2013, 10:50:04 pm
Thanks for all the responses and info. A friend has also recommended the Oma Eichler campsite, so I'm going to head there. Muenchener, thanks for the offer to climb on Sunday 26th, that would be great. I'll pm you my email address and mobile number.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal