UKBouldering.com

NZ Bouldering - Queenstown/Wanaka - Looking for Info (Read 2852 times)

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
I'm currently in NZ and trying to find info on all the bouldering around Wanaka/Quenstown. I know stuff has been developed but it isn't in any guides. I've had a look on Powerband.org.nz and there are some great photos but not a lot of info.

Does anyone know anyone in this area? Ideally I'd find a local boulderer who is keen to give me a tour! Alternatively some info on the best blocs, the best problems, and some info on where they are would be great.

Thanks

derekthatcher

There have been plenty of small guides made of the jardines in queenstown. I do not have one on hand, but the best problems are at the wave boulderhttps://www.google.com/mapmaker?gw=55&activity_src=2&activity_filter=0&activity_sort=0&ll=-45.093569,168.767043&spn=0.002143,0.004656&z=18&vpid=1366243411983&iwloc=2_0&editids=YKtRAbenoragDi1k5P&t=h&lyt=large_map&htll=-45.093682,168.767043
The area is pretty small and easy to walk around and climb what looks good.

In wanaka the bouldering is documented in the sport climbing guides (available in the sports store in town). None of it is very good.

Make the trip to castle hill or even the darrans if you are down that way.

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
thanks for the link Derek. I found a project near Cromwell and have the limited but helpful Jardines bouldering guide. I'm planning on heading there in the morning.

We're planning on getting to the darrans for some sport climbing in a couple of days and then up to paynes ford via castle/flock Hill.

perhaps see you at the rocks!

derekthatcher

Cool - The orange prow over the road at Tarras? - That thing is rad.
I am heading to the darrans on monday night, If you are there then I am happy to show you around.

D

gingerninja

• menacing presence
the bouldering in wanaka is on the road to treblecone just past the big cliff face on hospital flats. theres also a boulder at the end of town near the outlet track.
theres a good boulder by the road just out of luggette too thats worth a visit from what i remember.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal