UKBouldering.com

Pof in the UK, apparently (Read 2074 times)

psychomansam

• forum hero
Pof in the UK, apparently
May 20, 2013, 07:17:57 pm
I'm not normally one for the ethics brigade (I use chalk in Font for instance), but this liquid chalk seems rather suspect. On the one hand, very few people are using it, you use liquid chalk less and less of it rubs off, but on the other hand it doesn't seem very different to putting a certain % pof into a chalk ball/block. Or is that happening already too?

http://www.rockrun.com/products/Liquid-Grip.html

:popcorn:

psychomansam

• forum hero
#1 Re: Pof in the UK, apparently
May 20, 2013, 07:29:18 pm
Dave Mac reviews it, mentions the problem and links to this: http://rvproj.com/2012/11/30/a-review-of-liquid-grip-the-new-liquid-chalk/

Yet it's promoted on UKC with no mention of the pof (money before ethics?) and sold elsewhere.

Not the only one with pof in though apparently. DMM?

dave

#2 Re: Pof in the UK, apparently
May 20, 2013, 07:42:50 pm
To my understanding most if not all liquid chalk type products have had resin in. The Beal one certainly does/did, not sure about sid's jizz.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#3 Re: Pof in the UK, apparently
May 20, 2013, 08:22:19 pm
I'd agree there are probably very few people using it on the one hand  ;)

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#4 Re: Pof in the UK, apparently
May 21, 2013, 09:06:39 am
There's only three people in the world who can use pof in the UK. Me, myself and I.
 ;)

Greg C

• forum hero
#5 Re: Pof in the UK, apparently
May 21, 2013, 09:27:55 am
I've heard this about 'standard' Liquid Chalks having pof in before and whislt I couldn't confirm whether it's entirely accurate or not is seems likely that if they do, in most cases, it's a truly miiniscule amount. As well as supplying their own branded products, Rock Technologies actually make/re-brand Liquid Chalk for a number of other companies, Beal being the most obvious example (remember that next time your shelling out an extra £3 for the Beal version) and RT are a UK based company whom I believe have some level of specific climbing expertise at the helm. That being the case, it would seem unlikely they would use pof in their products. That's not to say they don't.

Having used Liquid Grip, it feels very different to standard Liquid Chalk. It has an almost tacky feel once dry, which is presumably a result of the pof and the reason I think it probably has a fair bit more rosin in it than standard liquid chalks - which generally feel dry to the touch once dry. As with Dave Mac I found its results variable: quite good/useful on very rough rock types, far less so on smoother grained rock and indoor walls. Having said that Leah Crane apparently thinks it's great, so what do I know.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal