UKBouldering.com

Southern Sandstone Bouldering (Read 3680 times)

Crocuta

Southern Sandstone Bouldering
May 20, 2004, 03:59:22 pm
Due to current injuries I am in no position to do any climbing at the moment but the accounts of bouldering on the sandstone have motivated me to want to do some filming.

Anyone fancy giving me a tour of the bouldering at any of the crags whilst I film their every move?  I'm particularly keen to film at High Rocks because I think the rock is excellent quality but I will gratefully accept an invitation anywhere else too.

Also, if anyone out there owns their own digital video camera and wants to come along and collaborate so that we can capture more than one angle, that would be awesome.

Anyone?  Bueller ...... PM me.

MrBlue

• regular
#1 Southern Sandstone Bouldering
May 20, 2004, 07:14:25 pm
how bizarre...

i'm going to be embarking on a similar venture this summer - a super 8/dv combination, digitally combined. should be a laugh :)

was thinking of the majority of the venues, not concentrating on one particular place...and having all sorts of problems, not just the well 'ard ones :roll:

just need to sort out my camera-on-a-stick setup.

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
#2 Southern Sandstone Bouldering
May 21, 2004, 09:19:18 am
Ian H (although I think he's away at the mo) and his buds might let you film 'em but I dunno.

I get down there a fair amount and a couple of my mates are responsible for most of the quality stuff at High Rocks but I don't think they'd wanna be filmed.

However if you do find someone, stuff like Happy Days, Mojo and Brevna sitter and Ches's Dyno would look good on film..................

the_dom

• forum abuser
    • The Blog
#3 Southern Sandstone Bouldering
May 21, 2004, 09:46:45 am
On the whole filming issue, what camera setups/editing tools etc is everyone using?

We're filming some stuff here (in SA) - mostly on my g/f's 1 CCD Canon. The picture quality is good, but not exceptional in lower light. We're hoping to get access to a camera from my housemates work (a TV company). It would be somewhat preferable to shoot on one of their 3 CCD sonys.

We do, however, have access to their AVID suite, which is pretty sweet.

cheers,
dom

dave

#4 Southern Sandstone Bouldering
May 21, 2004, 09:50:56 am
Kims videos, i.e. the Font one o the norope comp and the ones on the beardown site are shot with a canon mv600 and edited on premier.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#5 Southern Sandstone Bouldering
May 21, 2004, 09:52:29 am
Quote from: "dave"
Kims videos, i.e. the Font one o the norope comp and the ones on the beardown site are shit

Thought you were mates  :wink:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#6 Southern Sandstone Bouldering
May 21, 2004, 09:55:33 am
Quote from: "the_dom"
On the whole filming issue, what camera setups/editing tools etc is everyone using?

All the ukbouldering ones on this site were filmed on a Sony DCR 9E which is only a 1 ccd cam, compressed with Sorenson, edited in Adobe Premiere and the titles added using Flash MX.

dave

#7 Southern Sandstone Bouldering
May 21, 2004, 09:59:18 am
Quote from: "Bubba"
Kims videos, i.e. the Font one o the norope comp and the ones on the beardown site are shit

Thought you were mates  :wink:

slip of the keyboard.....

the_dom

• forum abuser
    • The Blog
#8 Southern Sandstone Bouldering
May 21, 2004, 11:32:49 am
Kims videos, i.e. the Font one o the norope comp and the ones on the beardown site are shot with a canon mv600 and edited on premier.

Yeah, we're shooting on the MV550i. Canon optics are really good - I never fail to be impressed with their digital stills cameras too.

I saw a 3 CCD Panasonic the other day for R9000 (about 750 pounds) new - has anyone heard about/used this cam? Seems like a very good deal for a 3 CCD, but apparently the actual chips are very small, and thus crap in low light...

dom

Crocuta

#9 Southern Sandstone Bouldering
May 21, 2004, 11:49:07 am
I have a Canon XL1-S.

I don't think you're going to notice any differences in quality looking at vids on the web because they are compressed to buggery.  I shot a climbing video using the video function on a digital stills camera and it looked great on the web.  I would also imagine that the majority of digital camcorders available would produce good quality vids when shot under "normal" lighting conditions.   I think I'll get another digi camcorder although perhaps not another 3CCD one.  

I was looking at the prices in the US and they are much much cheaper.  Â£800 cameras for $800!  Will definately look at the Canons.

Crocuta

#10 Southern Sandstone Bouldering
May 21, 2004, 11:51:02 am
Quote from: "Carnage"
I get down there a fair amount and a couple of my mates are responsible for most of the quality stuff at High Rocks but I don't think they'd wanna be filmed.

I would also love to come down without the camera just to have a look at the problems and meet a few people...

the_dom

• forum abuser
    • The Blog
#11 Southern Sandstone Bouldering
May 21, 2004, 12:05:11 pm
Quote from: "Crocuta"
I have a Canon XL1-S.

I think I'll get another digi camcorder although perhaps not another 3CCD one.  

I was looking at the prices in the US and they are much much cheaper.  Â£800 cameras for $800!  Will definately look at the Canons.

You lucky ...

Man, that is one slick camera. I've used the XL-1 before, and it was awesome. The only thing I don't like (which is in the Sony's favour) is the lack of a pop-up screen.

If I could afford that (it's about 40000 rand here) I'd buy it in a second.  Another one of my housemates is a pro photographer, and she's always got Canon lenses lying around which would work so nicely for climbing footage (wide-angle and fish-eye especially).

My brother in Dublin just bought an EOS 10D for $1000 through the net, which was about 20% cheaper than he could get it on Dublin.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#12 Southern Sandstone Bouldering
May 21, 2004, 12:08:54 pm
My brother in Dublin just bought an EOS 10D for $1000 through the net, which was about 20% cheaper than he could get it on Dublin.

Where was that from? I'd love a 10d

the_dom

• forum abuser
    • The Blog
#13 Southern Sandstone Bouldering
May 21, 2004, 12:18:18 pm
I'll get you the links etc bubba - it's a beautiful camera. My housemate will shoot on nothing else - she says it's the only camera she's ever used that has never given her a single problem, despite being used for full-time, 7 day a week news photography.

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
#14 Southern Sandstone Bouldering
May 21, 2004, 12:21:41 pm

I would also love to come down without the camera just to have a look at the problems and meet a few people...

Don't think any of the boys will be around for the next two weekends but I reckon we'll be there for the weekend of 5/6, probably at High Rocks.

Come down for a wander.....

MrBlue

• regular
#15 Southern Sandstone Bouldering
May 21, 2004, 09:23:05 pm
I have a Canon XL1-S.

:cry:

i want one of them, but i can't justify spending that much as i don't do enough filmwork...

i use a canon mv600i, it's not too bad for the stuff i do and would probably work fine for web-based films.

Crocuta

#16 Southern Sandstone Bouldering
May 24, 2004, 11:58:52 am
I saw a 3 CCD Panasonic the other day for R9000 (about 750 pounds) new - has anyone heard about/used this cam? Seems like a very good deal for a 3 CCD, but apparently the actual chips are very small, and thus crap in low light...

dom

I'm assuming you mean the  Panasonic GS200.  The reviews for it are very good indeed.  Apparently it does struggle in lowlight but then, unless you're going to be shooting night bouldering light by headlamps it shouldn't be an issue.  I am actually thinking of getting one of these (or the Panasonic DV953 which is a bit more expensive).  My gf is going to New York next month so I may ask her to get it for me as you can pick it up for £420 there rather than the £750 over here.

the_dom

• forum abuser
    • The Blog
#17 Southern Sandstone Bouldering
May 24, 2004, 12:28:09 pm
That's interesting, crocuta, because I had this discussion with my partner in film-making (who is a professional director/cameraman/editor) and he was saying that we should go with the Panasonic, and ignore the low light issues.

They're pretty much the price of a medium-range 1 CCD camera here, so that's a pretty good deal.

Do you know if they have a firewire in as well as a firewire out? That's pretty necessary for us..

Crocuta

#18 Southern Sandstone Bouldering
May 24, 2004, 01:18:41 pm
Have a look at this GS200 review.

According to this, the low-light shooting is good.  It does have a firewire port which they refer to as DV in/out on many websites.  Always annoys me that the same port is called DV port/I-Link/firewire/IEEE1394 with no consistency whatsoever.

ian h

• forum abuser
#19 Southern Sandstone Bouldering
May 25, 2004, 09:24:56 am
Ian H (although I think he's away at the mo) and his buds might let you film 'em but I dunno.

However if you do find someone, stuff like Happy Days, Mojo and Brevna sitter and Ches's Dyno would look good on film..................

hello i in a internet cafe in thailand at the moment. bouldering is shit hot i think . i just travelling round the islands seeing what i can find, i come home on the 7th of june. so might sort something out then

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#20 Southern Sandstone Bouldering
May 25, 2004, 09:28:31 am
I'm sure I can speak for all of us stuck at work when I say "I hate you, you spawny bastard"  :wink:

ian h

• forum abuser
#21 Southern Sandstone Bouldering
May 29, 2004, 01:59:47 pm
Quote from: "Bubba"
I'm sure I can speak for all of us stuck at work when I say "I hate you, you spawny bastard"  :wink:

weather is sweet hit railay beach, krabi 3 days ago. bouldering in paradise. maybe tomorrow head off to another island for full moon party happening soon.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#22 Southern Sandstone Bouldering
May 30, 2004, 07:59:01 pm
u're so 5 years behind the times ian  :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal