UKBouldering.com

Bouldering around Pune (India) or near to Mumbai (Read 2189 times)

Paul Emery

Does anyone know anything about bouldering around Pune (India) or anywhere close to Mumbai?
My pal is there with work in December, and hopes to fit in some bouldering.
Thanks for any help.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
I did a bit of checking out videos prior to a business trip a couple of years ago, but as it turned out I had no time for anything other than the hotel gym. There is some stuff in the Western Ghats, and climbing clubs in both cities with whom it would for sure be worth getting in touch.

There's also a rather impressively large and steep wall visible from the Mumbai-Pune highway, the Duke's Nose. Doug Scott originally aided this in the 70s, but according to Victor Saunders it now goes free bolted at 6b. Note, however, that Victor Saunders is a notorious Fowler partner-in-crime so his idea of adequate bolting may differ from yours or your friend's.

underground

• forum hero
I've asked my mate in Pune....

Plattsy

• forum hero
Spoke to a guy in Mumbai in 2007 when I was researching something similar. I'll see if I can find any information when I get home.

underground

• forum hero
A suggestion is to look for Lovalala and Khandala, both I the Sahyadri mountains between Pune and Mumbai

Plattsy

• forum hero
Pretty sure I had an email conversation with Abhijit "Bong" (email in the link below) about bouldering in Mumbai and stopping at his for a night or two. Unfortunately it didn't work out.

http://girivihar.org/2012/competition-information-document/

Paul Emery

Thanks for your help everyone.

zivout

Hi man,

I'm moving right now to pune for a couple of months...did you finally found something for bouldering? Are you still there?

thanks!

Davide

klaasw

Paul posted the question for me. No I didn't go bouldering in Pune in the end. It seems that the good venues are a bit away from the city. By the way, there is a Facebook page for plundering in Pune

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal