UKBouldering.com

Hold loss near the top of Darius ? (Read 3530 times)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Hold loss near the top of Darius ?
May 02, 2013, 09:29:53 pm
Its been a while but my recollection was that the hard move was moving left by the bolt on undercuts and smears. But now when you've done that move there  seems to be worse holds than I remember ie smallish sidepulls which are hard to recover on followed by a gnarly reach through the overlap using a tiny crimp which felt like 6a. 
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 09:39:55 pm by shark »

Neil F

• obsessive maniac
No wonder it felt so exciting without the bolt...!

Paul B

• forum hero
Its been a while but my recollection was that the hard move was moving left by the bolt on undercuts and smears. But now when you've done that move there  seems to be worse holds than I remember ie smallish sidepulls which are hard to recover on followed by a gnarly reach through the overlap using a tiny crimp which felt like 6a.

I thought the same although last time I did it was the evening after my viva, post pub (  :badidea: ). Therefore, I concluded that it was 'likely' "all in the mind".

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
No wonder it felt so exciting without the bolt...!

It was traumatic enough with it

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1

I thought the same although last time I did it was the evening after my viva, post pub (  :badidea: ). Therefore, I concluded that it was 'likely' "all in the mind".

I probably would have come to the same conclusion except my second who is a handy boulderer took a couple of goes to do the move and he said Brian from the Works took a big fall from up there last year.

Wood FT

• forum hero
 :smirk:

I probably would have come to the same conclusion except my second who is a handy boulderer took a couple of goes to do the move and he said Brian from the Works took a big fall from up there last year.

So E3 6a on the cards then?

Sidehaas

• stalker
It has been like that since at least July 2010 I think.  I fell off that move at that time, then went back.last year and did it by continuing left on crimps for a few feet from the end of the big undercuts, then moving up to the break and a move back right.  It seemed a fairly obvious line to take when I was there that time, altho I had missed it previously!  I didnt see anything that looked broken then and those crimps didnt look like the loose sort, but I guess its possible.  The noves felt quite hard up.there with all the rope drag, but def easier than the crux, and not 6a.
Si

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
went back.last year and did it by continuing left on crimps for a few feet from the end of the big undercuts, then moving up to the break and a move back right.  It seemed a fairly obvious line to take when I was there that time, altho I had missed it previously!

Off-route! Back around  ;)

Sidehaas

• stalker
 :furious:

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Did it in May 2011 and had a similar experience, though I wouldn't go so far as to say 6a, E3 might be fair though. It didn't look like anything had broken, but previously I've done the direct finish, protected by a tricam and a thread, and found it fine. Though I'll always take a techy move over getting pumped...

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
:furious:

Joke

Think you got it right. If you can move further left and then back up to gain the groove then that's the right way to go. Possibly worth mentioning in the route description for the next guide - or maybe not as it just desserts for those wearing  blinkers.

Sidehaas

• stalker
Sorry only just seen this.  I got the joke :)
Agree dont put anything in guide, it was obvious enough to not need that.  Would just make sure the line is correct on the topo and leave it at that.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal