UKBouldering.com

Who's in Devon? (Read 11909 times)

granticus

• forum abuser
#25 Re: Who's in Devon?
April 16, 2013, 09:13:42 pm
Is anyone keen for a trip to Hartland on Wednesday...?
I ll be traveling from Plymouth(High Sports climbing wall).
Keen to check out the Carnage bouldering area.

Working Wednesday, then looking after the little bear, otherwise would be keen.  There must be someone at High Sports that is keen though?! There has been a pretty monster swell running for the last few days, so not sure what conditions will be like as everything will have had a proper soaking last few high tides.  Swell still big tommorow but tides are smaller so could be OK.  Looks like a small rain band will pass over at around about 4pm which is when low tide is.  Worth risking the drive?  :-\

kingholmesy

• forum abuser
#26 Re: Who's in Devon?
April 16, 2013, 11:07:22 pm
I work in Plymouth and live just over the water in Cornwall.  I only moved here a couple of weeks ago and so am on the look out for partners, whether it be for bouldering, sport or trad.  If anyone's interested please feel free to get in touch by posting on here or sending me a PM.

I'm busy this weekend but am hoping to nip up to Hound Tor to get Limbo Dancer sent after work on Friday.  I'm also keen to get out after work on Monday and/or Tuesday - maybe to the Dewerstone or Torbryan if anyone is interested?

Finally, I'd be appreciative of a local tour of Bovey Woods sometime if anyone fancies showing me around - I hear it's a bit of a pain to find stuff on first acquaintance.

Cheers, Luke.  :wave:

Nike Air

• forum abuser
#27 Re: Who's in Devon?
April 16, 2013, 11:20:18 pm
Is anyone keen for a trip to Hartland on Wednesday...?
I ll be traveling from Plymouth(High Sports climbing wall).
Keen to check out the Carnage bouldering area.

Working Wednesday, then looking after the little bear, otherwise would be keen.  There must be someone at High Sports that is keen though?! There has been a pretty monster swell running for the last few days, so not sure what conditions will be like as everything will have had a proper soaking last few high tides.  Swell still big tomorrow but tides are smaller so could be OK.  Looks like a small rain band will pass over at around about 4pm which is when low tide is.  Worth risking the drive?  :-\

I never noted the swell, good point. Its meant to be mega windy so hopefully that could help dry things and blow over any rain quickly...
I would check out the granite but my tips would not appreciate that.

If anyone fancies any trad round torquay Id be keen. Pretty battered from multi pitching in cheddar so might be nice to take it easy!!

kingholmesy

• forum abuser
#28 Re: Who's in Devon?
April 16, 2013, 11:30:49 pm

If anyone fancies any trad round torquay Id be keen. Pretty battered from multi pitching in cheddar so might be nice to take it easy!!
[/quote]

Unfortunately I don't think I'll be out of work in time to head out tradding tomorrow.  Does the fact that you're at High Sports tomorrow mean the bouldering is being reset?

kingholmesy

• forum abuser
#29 Re: Who's in Devon?
April 16, 2013, 11:42:20 pm
Simon Young has a new wall nr Liskeard now too,  I haven't been so can't comment.

Do you know what this is called/where exactly it is/whether it is open yet?  Someone mentioned it to me the other day, but I can't remember the name and can't find anything on the 'net.

I know you say you haven't been, but have you heard good reports?

Nike Air

• forum abuser
#30 Re: Who's in Devon?
April 16, 2013, 11:51:44 pm

Unfortunately I don't think I'll be out of work in time to head out tradding tomorrow.  Does the fact that you're at High Sports tomorrow mean the bouldering is being reset?
[/quote]

Im only there dropping off the better half who will be taking the Bmc movement masterclass.

granticus

• forum abuser
#31 Re: Who's in Devon?
April 17, 2013, 09:14:45 am
Simon Young has a new wall nr Liskeard now too,  I haven't been so can't comment.

Do you know what this is called/where exactly it is/whether it is open yet?  Someone mentioned it to me the other day, but I can't remember the name and can't find anything on the 'net.

I have heard good reports from folk that have been, a typical Simon Young creation!  Not sure what it's called or where it is anyone?  Will have an ask around too.

Andy W

• forum abuser
    • http://andywhall.com/
#32 Re: Who's in Devon?
April 17, 2013, 09:18:55 am

I have heard good reports from folk that have been, a typical Simon Young creation!  Not sure what it's called or where it is anyone?  Will have an ask around too.

Its here....  https://www.facebook.com/MagicWoodCC

I haven't been yet, but I'm sure its good.

Looks like Devon is busier than Cornwall! Whoever suggested a dedicated South West thread, thats a good idea.

tomtom

• forum hero
#33 Re: Who's in Devon?
April 17, 2013, 10:10:03 am
Just reading this thread today - and I'm not in the SW...

I think if you want to promote/bring together climbers in the SW then I would just start posting more things here.. get a SW thread going and keep posting things on it. News, FA's etc.. mirror any blogs of FB pages.. the more things that are posted here - the more people will start to use it as a reference point - and this will drive more of a community through UKB etc..

Don't underestimate the lurker power of UKB. there are LOADS of people who read and never (or rarely) post.. From my own experience, my climbing vids will often get c.1-200 plays when posted here, and 10 or so if on FB & Twitter.. I take that to be an indication of there being alot of traffic that you dont necessarily appreciate..

crimp

#34 Re: Who's in Devon?
April 17, 2013, 10:19:34 am
Hi tomtom.

That's what i said further up thread. Keep plugging away posting local news, wiki, topos, and stuff. I do for bristol area.

Sometimes you feel like your talking to yourself. Then someone else pops up and says they appreciate it.

I work on the assumption that the more local info on here, the more people are likely to be led here by interweb searches for local climbing info.

Andy W

• forum abuser
    • http://andywhall.com/
#35 Re: Who's in Devon?
April 17, 2013, 10:35:54 am
It does seem a good idea, that is a thread for the SW. It would encourage news, a scene etc.

Bodmin seems to be the happening spot right now with its FB page    https://www.facebook.com/Bodminbouldering?hc_location=stream

West Cornwall also has a FB page   https://www.facebook.com/groups/350310441862/   not much new problem activity though mostly reports of things falling down!

I also just about keep blocspenwith website going. But to be fair its pretty inactive and it won't be going much longer. The topos on it are a bit dated now and need updating redoing etc.

So basically a dedicated thread would give the area a bit of cohesion and dynamism.

crimp

#36 Re: Who's in Devon?
April 17, 2013, 10:49:52 am
Start building up the devon and cornwall wiki, it's pretty threadbare.

When you visit a venue, post a brief report in conditions thread.

Post news, significant ascents, access, environment issues, rockfalls, local indoor walls news, etc.

If we build it they will come, as someone said about something or other.

granticus

• forum abuser
#37 Re: Who's in Devon?
April 17, 2013, 03:15:09 pm
I have started a SW Bouldering thread in the bouldering section.  Post away.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#38 Re: Who's in Devon?
April 17, 2013, 03:28:01 pm
Trouble is most of the population of Devon haven't evolved opposing thumbs yet and therefore can't use a computer mouse, so a lot of climbers never use the internet, let alone UKB.

granticus

• forum abuser
#39 Re: Who's in Devon?
April 17, 2013, 05:01:55 pm
Trouble is most of the population of Devon haven't evolved opposing thumbs yet and therefore can't use a computer mouse, so a lot of climbers never use the internet, let alone UKB.
  :lol:

Shit I didn't think of that!

kingholmesy

• forum abuser
#40 Re: Who's in Devon?
April 17, 2013, 07:45:39 pm

Its here....  https://www.facebook.com/MagicWoodCC

I haven't been yet, but I'm sure its good.

Looks like Devon is busier than Cornwall! Whoever suggested a dedicated South West thread, thats a good idea.

Nice one.  Have now found a web page for it:

http://www.magicwoodclimbing.co.uk/

Seems like it's a work in progress, but could be good.  Will post on the SW bouldering thread too.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal