UKBouldering.com

Anyone know much about collarbones? (Read 2075 times)

ianv

• forum abuser
Anyone know much about collarbones?
May 27, 2013, 06:11:51 pm
My collar bone was pinned 2 years ago, plate is still in and a recent MRI suggests that everything was A OK. Recently I have started to integrate weighted dips into my weight training (25 kg). Last session the shoulder felt a bit weird and I now notice that I have a red patch running along the collar bone and onto my chest. Obviously something has happened but I have no idea what.

Do dips put a lot of pressure on the collar bone? Might I be overloading it? Should I stop doing dips or MTFU?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#1 Anyone know much about collarbones?
May 27, 2013, 08:26:56 pm
Usual reply I am afraid.

ianv

• forum abuser
Usual reply I am afraid.

???  :shrug:

chris05

• forum abuser
Get it checked by an expert.

Mark Lloyd

• menacing presence
I'm hoping you can enlighten me as I have just had my collar bone plated after falling off my bike. The registrar said it would be three months before i would be back on a bike, i'm sure wiggo et al get back riding sooner than that.
How long was it before you were back climbing or on the bike ?

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
The registrar said it would be three months before i would be back on a bike, i'm sure wiggo et al get back riding sooner than that.

True, but I assume that riding your bike is not your livelihood? The return to activity times of professional athletes often seems amazingly quick, but they will get daily physio / any other treatment, and be able to dedicate most of the day to appropriate and well directed rehab exercise. Having said that you may be ok well before that, but seek a not on the internet opinion if you are unsure.

ianv

• forum abuser
I was riding in Deux alpes in just over 8 weeks from surgery. I did spend a fair bit on physio though. Not sure about climbing.

Danny pedrosa came second in a moto gp 5 weeks after having both collar bones plated  :strongbench:

mikester

• regular
I've learned a few things from my girlfriend's recent collarbone break. Firstly, not all collarbone fractures are the same. Sounds daft, but most are clean mid-shaft brakes which heal really well with relatively few complications, often without surgery. Lots of cyclists bust their collarbones like this and can be back on their bikes in a relatively short time, especially (as Toby says) with their top-end medical support (the legitimate kind, that is!).

My girlfriend's was a messy distal fracture - at about 15 mm from the the shoulder end - which needed plating and immobilising. The operation to plate a collarbone can cause all sorts of nerve damage and referred pain, and the screws and plate actually protrude under the skin causing inflammation and bruising - I wonder if that might be like yours? Her consultant is adamant that the plate will be removed as soon as all is well so that there aren't any further complications or unnecessary risks (e.g. breaking a plated collarbone isn't advisable), probably after it's been in for 18 months and, again, I wonder if you might be in the same boat.

Despite all that, go see an expert! You only have one body.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal