UKBouldering.com

bristol area bird stuff 2013 (Read 2860 times)

crimp

bristol area bird stuff 2013
April 07, 2013, 07:24:03 pm
Worth mentioning as it's a large restriction, not on BMC RAD yet, and may save somebody a wasted trip.

I had a scuttle about Avon gorge today, and apart from holds seeming a bit loose and coming away in my hands, i had a chat with some folks who were climbing at wintours leap yesterday.

Apparently, the vast majority of the terrifying precipice that is GO Wall, from king kong rightwards is out of bounds for nesting purposes. Notices are in place.

Oh, and usual main wall bird restrictions in place at Avon.

crimp

#1 Re: bristol area bird stuff 2013
April 13, 2013, 02:02:53 pm
Nesting restrictions update for the heap from RAD

Restrictions apply from 12 April -30 June.

Reason -Nesting Birds Peregrine falcons are nesting on the Pedestal Area of GO Wall.

Please avoid all routes in the Pedestal Area (pages 179-187 of the Lower Wye Valley guidebook, pages 149-151 of South West Climbs Vol I), and also Zebrazone and Surrealist which finish in this area. Also, please avoid routes in Woodcroft Quarry to the left of Still Nice and Still Sleazy.

crimp

#2 Re: bristol area bird stuff 2013
April 21, 2013, 09:58:40 am
Wintours Leap again.

Please avoid all routes on Fly Wall to the right of Dragonfly (facing the cliff).

That's pages 225 to 231 of the current Lower Wye Valley guidebook.

And GO wall restrictions above still in place.

I will post update here, when BMC and nature reserve folks clarify where nest actually is.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#3 Re: bristol area bird stuff 2013
April 21, 2013, 10:09:48 am
This is not the thread i was expecting

crimp

#4 Re: bristol area bird stuff 2013
April 21, 2013, 10:42:40 am
In case anyone is interested, and isn't already aware:

the annual spring/summer nesting restrictions at Spion Kop have been lifted and no longer apply. Fill your boots, but as anywhere, if you encounter nesting birds, back off route, and inform local access rep (relevant links in bristol wiki)

Remember, all year permitted climbing areas restriction still do

crimp

#5 Re: bristol area bird stuff 2013
April 24, 2013, 08:47:42 am
Wintours Leap again.

Please avoid all routes on Fly Wall to the right of Dragonfly (facing the cliff).

That's pages 225 to 231 of the current Lower Wye Valley guidebook.

And GO wall restrictions above still in place.

I will post update here, when BMC and nature reserve folks clarify where nest actually is.

This is now confirmed on RAD.

in place until 30th June.

That should mean GO wall is back open. (incidentally, be aware the first pitch of the perfumed garden collapsed this winter)

As usual, signs should be in place on site.

crimp

#6 Re: bristol area bird stuff 2013
May 08, 2013, 03:44:11 pm
Avon Gorge - IMPORTANT - from climb bristol - please note

"We have just had a report that peregrines are nesting on Suspension Bridge Buttress, on the West (Hell's Gates) face. Once confirmed by our Access Rep this will mean that all climbing will have to cease on the routes between Suspension Bridge Arete and Rock On Ruby until the season is over.

Please spread the word"

Best practice would be to avoid until clarified in my opinion?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 03:54:29 pm by Adge »

crimp

#7 Re: bristol area bird stuff 2013
May 09, 2013, 10:17:24 am
Avon Gorge - IMPORTANT - from climb bristol - please note

"We have just had a report that peregrines are nesting on Suspension Bridge Buttress, on the West (Hell's Gates) face. Once confirmed by our Access Rep this will mean that all climbing will have to cease on the routes between Suspension Bridge Arete and Rock On Ruby until the season is over.

Please spread the word"

Best practice would be to avoid until clarified in my opinion?

this is now confirmed. Please stay away

For the first time in living memory not one but TWO pairs of peregrines are nesting in the Avon Gorge. It is an incredibly rare event for peregrines to nest so close together. The established pair are nesting in their traditional site in the Pink Wall section of the Main Wall. Currently they have four young chicks. Posted seasonal climbing restrictions have been in place there for some time.

The new pair are nesting on Suspension Bridge Buttress at the top of the Limbo area. The nest, currently with two eggs, is clearly visible from the Suspension Bridge itself. Seasonal climbing restriction notices are being posted currently and will be in force until July 15th.

crimp

#8 Re: bristol area bird stuff 2013
May 09, 2013, 08:28:09 pm
RAD update.

The WHOLE of suspension bridge buttress is now off limits until chicks have fledged.

crimp

#9 Re: bristol area bird stuff 2013
May 30, 2013, 07:50:47 am
The climbing restriction on Suspension Bridge Buttress is lifted as of today (29/05/ 13). Unfortunately the nest was unsucessful and after confirming this with Ed Drewitt (the local peregrine expert) all restriction for this part of the gorge no longer apply. The Pink wall restriction is still in place however -see the Main Wall page on the RAD for more details.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal