UKBouldering.com

Downhill Domination, "dropping in" (Read 279916 times)

ianv

• forum abuser
thinking of going to Antur Stinog some time either this weekend or next. Saturday looks good weather but not many places left, sunday dry but overcast, more places.

Anyone interested? FD, Bubba, FBSF et al?

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
im uplifting at cwmcarn sunday.. places left on website... got permission from owners of Antur for me lad to go there... too young under usual Ts and Cs.. yet to sort date for that one..

STBoulderBoy

Off to Llandegla this weekend with my 2 lads 6/7yrs old to ride some of the red trails with them, then bouldering the day after around Llangollen

Then off to Antur the Saturday after.. went a couple weeks ago and the weather was cruel, belting down rain, freezing temps and the higher up you were the worse it got...

Found one lad clean as you like stood in the toilets holding  his hands up to the heaters refusing to go out until it stopped.  :lol: needless to say he went home clean without riding...

ianv

• forum abuser
Booked for sunday  :popcorn: will probably stay down a couple of days if the weather is OK

went a couple weeks ago and the weather was cruel, belting down rain, freezing temps and the higher up you were the worse it got

Does it justify taking the dh bike?

STBoulderBoy

Booked for sunday  :popcorn: will probably stay down a couple of days if the weather is OK

went a couple weeks ago and the weather was cruel, belting down rain, freezing temps and the higher up you were the worse it got

Does it justify taking the dh bike?

definitely take a DH bike, especially if you do "The Black" extremely steep and rocky, the end of which is a nice 15ft drop off which feeds you into some massive doubles with nice large gaps in between. lovely and smooth

I ride a Kona Stinky and that does well but seen people with some seriously gnarly DH rigs..

Staff are top and the uplift is excellent, pretty much each time you get to the bottom you can load you bike up and be on your way back up within a few minutes.

ianv

• forum abuser
Walked the wc course at Valnord the other day. It is going to be rad  :punk: fast then STEEP and gnarley. Danny hart for the win, especially as the weather has been a bit dodgy and it's all a bit muddy.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
U gonna be watching it? Bet u a fiver Gee beats Danny ;)

ianv

• forum abuser
We are going back for the racing  :dance1: . All the pistes are closed 24-28th which is a bummer but granvalira is only 30 mins away. Should be ace.

Felix is fast becoming a local celebrity, amazingly rapid for a little kid and going BIG. I cannot believe how much he has progressed since last year!

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
 :dance1:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Anyone interested? FD, Bubba, FBSF et al?
Not done DH for ages, would need something easy like Cwmcarn as a re-introduction.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
bubba, loads of places at antur stiniog week on Sunday left, I'm taking Oli.... Book online via their website.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
PM'ed you.

ianv

• forum abuser
Watched training today, the track is  :o . Carnage at the final steep bit. Money is on gee, he was looking SHARP.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
Watched training today, the track is  :o . Carnage at the final steep bit. Money is on gee, he was looking SHARP.

you getting much riding in Ian? hows the back fixed up now?

getting really psyched for my trip to les gets now, "accidentally" bought myself a specialized status last week for the trip, funny how you can walk in to the bike shop for a few spares and walk out a fair bit poorer  :ohmy:

ianv

• forum abuser
Status looks cool, there is a kiwi riding one here and it looks like a very beefed up enduro.

Hill fastest today, gee seemed pissed off with 3rd. Hart reckoned he had a bit more in the tank. It was super impressive how fast they were hitting stuff.

underground

• forum hero
Status looks cool, there is a kiwi riding one here and it looks like a very beefed up enduro.

Hill fastest today, gee seemed pissed off with 3rd. Hart reckoned he had a bit more in the tank. It was super impressive how fast they were hitting stuff.
Gee should have ridden a bit better....

account_inactive

• forum hero

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog

getting really psyched for my trip to les gets now, "accidentally" bought myself a specialized status last week for the trip, funny how you can walk in to the bike shop for a few spares and walk out a fair bit poorer  :ohmy:

Whats it like going up hill? Would it be ok for an all mountain bike?

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser

Whats it like going up hill? Would it be ok for an all mountain bike?

I got the status 2 which has boxxers on it, so I reckon it'll be hopeless going uphill, weighs in at about 38lbs too. The status 1 looks a little lighter and has x fusion forks on it so might climb a bit better. If you're after an all mtn specialized I'd look at the enduro evo.

ianv

• forum abuser
It would be shit as an all mountain bike. Enduro/enduro evo would work but a dh bike is too dh orientated.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
 :agree:

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
For once I'm apparently speaking sense! My enduro is great as an all mountain bike, hence why i couldn't really go for the enduro evo, too close to what I've got to justify the expense

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#948 Re: Downhill Domination, "dropping in"
August 16, 2013, 06:54:24 pm
Hey guys, anyone ridden snowdon? Over that way in a few weeks, and keen to do it. Am aware of restrictions. Will leave it till the evening. Is 160mm travel ok, i assume it is? Any advice/tips.

runt

• obsessive maniac
#949 Re: Downhill Domination, "dropping in"
August 16, 2013, 07:54:56 pm
160mm will be fine, ridden it rigid, hardtail and full boinger, just depends how fast you want to go!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal