places to visit > conditions reports (isitgreasy on twitter)

Forest rock

(1/26) > >>

wintermute:
Going to be vaguely in the vicinity of forest rock in Leicestershire at the weekend. Does anyone have any idea what sort of state it will be in? Boulder britain describes is as 'dank in the winter'......

Ta.

i_a_coops:
I was down about a week ago, and it was soaked. Having said that, it can be fine in the winter as it doesn't seem to seep for that long after rain, the main problem is that almost the entire crag gets wet from run off. If it gets a day or two of sun it might be ok, but the forecast isn't that optimistic.

If you're desperate, Cracked Up (7b+/c thing right in the back of the cave, SS in crack finish matched on the volume in the roof) might well be dry, only one of the holds seeps and that is fingerlocky enough that it doesn't matter that much if it's damp.

Also, it's 10 minutes drive off the M1 and the crag is 30s from the road, so if you're driving past junction 23 anyway it's not much of a detour even if it is wet!

i_a_coops:
Just had a thought - Nunckley is about 5 minutes drive from Forest Rock, and might be more likely to be dry? I've only checked it out once, and it was raining (it was a bit wet) but it looked pretty compact and unlikely to seep too much. If anyone knows different please correct me.

It's granite rather than slate btw, but looks similarly like board climbing.

wintermute:
Cheers for that. Whilst i will be close to there relative to where i am now, i won't be close enough to risk it if the odds are it will be bobbins!

Plastic it is.

clintos:
I've been by today and its pretty good, i'm also working in the village friday so should be able to give you a update then,there is some good problems on the corner at the entrance which dry quick and dont take any seepage. Nunckley would also be a good bet or if you like quarried highballs check out Morley quarry also only 5 mins from J23. Good to see this place getting more traffic it is quality.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version