UKBouldering.com

Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !! (Read 280362 times)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#1225 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
May 11, 2023, 02:39:27 pm
What engine does it have? Ours is the 1.9l diesel and while it's not like shit of a shovel, it's pretty nippy and economical.

If this is about the Focus then it's one of the petrol eco things, so unsurprising that it isn't very responsive. That's not the issue, my Fabia hatchback has a 1.2l petrol turbo, so not exactly a hot rod. It's the handling (or lack thereof) that sucks the fun out of the Focus. Maybe it's just estates in general, the Focus is the only one I've driven.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1226 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
May 11, 2023, 02:55:11 pm
Maybe. I've only ever driven estates, and I am usually in the T5 Van, so it feels nippy by comparison!

Paul B

• forum hero
#1227 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
May 11, 2023, 03:29:20 pm
If this is about the Focus then it's one of the petrol eco things, so unsurprising that it isn't very responsive.

EcoBoost/EcoBoom? The 1.0 EcoBoost in the Fiesta I've driven is a riot. It sounds like an angry wasp under the bonnet. I think the 1.5 EB engine is 182BHP in the Focus?

https://www.parkers.co.uk/ford/focus/hatchback-2011/15-ecoboost-(182bhp)-titanium-x-5d/specs/

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#1228 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
May 11, 2023, 07:59:54 pm
Unrelated but cars cars fucking cars crossed my thoughts and mouth a few times today.
3 series beamer 2.0td 113k on clock, timing belt snappage last night, adios engine, adios car. I was under the impression it had been changed at 100k, apparently not.
I struggle to understand why this is even possible with todays tec, and why everything cant be shifted over to chain.

Paul B

• forum hero
#1229 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
May 12, 2023, 11:33:20 am
Was it not a chain then?

My E46 was chain driven.

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#1230 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
May 14, 2023, 11:30:07 pm
Going off what the AA said at the time, it was belt. But no, yes it was chain. I now have the unfortunate knowledge that the 4 cylinders chains (N47 engine in this one I believe) going pop is a common occurrence. Did you ever have any bother with yours? 

Paul B

• forum hero
#1231 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
May 14, 2023, 11:46:24 pm
Loads, but I bought it with a lot of miles on the clock and added a load more. The chain wasn't one of my issues. I got the swirl flaps removed as soon as I had it home and one was so close to being ingested by the engine it's a miracle we made it.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#1232 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
May 19, 2023, 11:57:28 am
Ended up buying a Subaru Legacy with 100k on the clock, timing belt done at 60k and a complete service history for £2100 which I am tentatively pleased with. FWIW in the future if anyone else is in a similar position, the seats in these go dead flat so definitely an option for sleeping in.

All that being said I'm still not driving it far until the breakdown cover kicks in!

Paul B

• forum hero
#1233 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
May 19, 2023, 12:11:30 pm
Which engine?

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#1234 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
May 19, 2023, 12:14:14 pm
2.0 petrol

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#1235 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
May 19, 2023, 02:15:00 pm
Ended up buying a Subaru Legacy with 100k on the clock, timing belt done at 60k

Its more ‘when’ it was done year wise as its not just done on mileage. Sounds like it was done a few years ago.

Paul B

• forum hero
#1236 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
May 19, 2023, 02:40:21 pm
Significantly bigger intervals with Subarus though (if you're accustomed to VAG cars).

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#1237 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
May 19, 2023, 02:43:44 pm
Significantly bigger intervals with Subarus though (if you're accustomed to VAG cars).

For Jims its inspect every 30k and change every 105k. Or after 7 years

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#1238 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
May 19, 2023, 05:20:50 pm
Yeah, it's been in for 40k miles so would presumably have plenty of life left, but was many years ago, so prob due an inspection.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#1239 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
June 02, 2023, 05:35:40 pm
Hello UKB.

I’m reaching out to see if anyone has been through the debacle I’m about to enter. Details as follows….

I bought a 2011 Passat CC from an independent dealer in Leeds, on the 28th of February this year. I was given a 3 month warranty as part of the deal, which was about as much use as a chocolate teapot as no garage within a 50 mile radius of my home would do work on the car due to the warranty company not paying out.

Initially I had troubles with the coolant temperature. I ended up getting a new thermostat and coolant temperature sensor fitted, which resolved the issue. On Friday last week, the car went into limp mode. The DPF light came on, the engine management light also. I’ve had the car into my local garage who do all my work and have done for the last 4 years. They rang today with bad news.

The turbo is about to go pop and is sucking oil in which has filled the inter cooler and likely the DPF too. There is oil everywhere in fact. They’ve looked and there has been some serious historic bodge work on the wiring to various sensors to do with the turbo etc. In summary, I’ve been sold an absolute shed. I’ve managed 3 months before it’s gone tits up big time.

I’ve been doing my research, and according to the Citizens Advice the dealer who sold me it should stand the costs for repair under the consumers rights act 2015. They also state that because I bought the car in the last 6 months, the law says it must have been faulty when I bought it.

I am now pondering how to proceed. The dealer was nice and pleasant (no surprise) originally, but I dare say he is going to try and worm out if this as the bill is 2-3k approximately for repair. But it sounds like he hasn’t a leg to stand on really.

Thoughts?

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#1240 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
June 03, 2023, 09:51:42 am
Will reply to this when I get time, PM me if I forget...

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#1241 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
June 03, 2023, 10:28:33 am
My guess is that you technically / legally have every right to get the car repaired at the vendor's expense, or potentially just return it for a refund (which is probably the better option, as who knows what other bodges are there?).

Getting it to happen however, that will be a test of your patience and probably your wallet as well.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#1242 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
June 06, 2023, 09:54:07 am
@MIke, that's a shit situation. I've just been through something similar, which ended up in the courts. I would recommend avoiding that option until the absolute last resort, but feel free to threaten it! It's tedious, stressful and even if oyu win (I did) it doesn't mean you'll get a penny back.

Have you got documented proof of all the issues? It seems like your garage has inspected just outside the 3 month window, but that shouldn't matter in a legal sense. The warranty is one thing, but as you say, legally you have the right to rectification up to 6 months (don't quote me n that, I'm just bouncing your research back at you but it sounds familiar!).

Is the car still driveable at all? If so, take it back to the dealer and drop it in there drive, give them the keys and say you're are giving them one opportunity to fully rectify the issues before you are formally rejecting the car* and give them a report showing why (get your trusted independent garage to issue you a formal condition report with all the issues detailed.). Did you pay cash / credit card or finance?

Obviously follow everything up in writing. (email is fine so long as you keep a copy somewhere - my SMSs were used as evidence!)

If you have any mates that are solicitors / lawyers, get some free advice. I suspect if you go in pretty heavy initially they may just buckle and get it sorted.

* I just checked here: https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/rejecting-a-car/#:~:text=return%20the%20favour%E2%80%A6-,Final%20right%20to%20reject%20%E2%80%93%20the%20first%20six%20months,you%20can%20reject%20the%20vehicle. as I had initially said go straight to "rejection" but they reckon you have to give the garage one opportunity to fix

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#1243 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
June 11, 2023, 09:27:07 am
Update!

The dealer initially tried to squirm out of it, but I got on my soapbox and started quoting various things a legal friend advised me to say. So as it stands, he has agreed to put another 3 months warranty on it at his cost, and then we will claim on said warranty for the work to be done. I guess this way his pocket isn’t impacted quite as much, and I will get the car fixed hopefully. As soon as it’s done, I’ll be taking it to my local trusted garage to get checked over. And it it’s ok, I’ll be selling the car immediately. I have just lost faith in it completely, and have decided I won’t be getting another modern diesel again unfortunately.

Thanks for the replies folks.

Ross Barker

• menacing presence
  • Deathly afraid of traverses
#1244 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
July 16, 2023, 12:29:54 pm
Fucking breakdown cover cunts doing anything to avoid actually helping, the snotty little arsefucks.

Fuck, I'm not in the best of moods.

On a sidenote, has anyone in the last 10 years ever said, "boy, I sure am glad my car has an immobiliser"?

Paul B

• forum hero
#1245 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
August 02, 2023, 11:46:42 am
Does anyone own a vehicle that runs michelin latitude cross or similar tyres? The Audi (A6 AllRoad) is due its MOT in a week or so and I've noticed I'm approaching the wear indicator.

With other tyres I'm reasonably familiar with alternatives and what's a good value alternative (Vredeatein Sessanta and then the Vorti; Michelin PS4 for anything vaguely fast etc) but I'm struggling here. As it's 4wd it'll be a full set that's required which is currently looking like a relatively large bill (235/55 R18). The weather at our place is dire in winter so wet performance and snow performance are important plus it gets taken places where most people decide to park and walk (access 'roads' to remote reservoirs).

El Mocho

• forum abuser
#1246 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
October 22, 2023, 12:53:35 pm
And now in the right place!

Just after some advice on if I (potentially) need to get arsey with the garage....

Van (Transit Custom) went in for service and mot a couple of weeks back. Bit more than normal but all expected - oil change, 2 x front tyres and new brake discs.

Just over a week later, and after around 50-100 miles max I came to stop at traffic lights and heard a slight crack and then the brakes were not working great. So happened it was right by the garage so took it in. They had a look around etc and didn't diagnose issue but agreed brakes were not great/something wrong. Had dogs + bunch of stuff so they suggested I drive it back home (about 2 miles) and bring back without dogs etc and leave with them. Set off and after 100yds went to brake and big crack... brake disc on front left fully shattered. Took back to garage and walked home with dogs etc.

During the week driving the van I hadn't done any heavy braking or prolonged braking. The initial crack was when the car in front got through lights and they changed on me - so heavier than normal but def not emergency stop.

Garage had van a week but not heard back yet (they are a small local garage and pretty busy + I said there was no major hurry.) My wife and mum both immediately said that they would expect the garage to cover all the costs - it was either a faulty disc or fitting fault.

Obv I'd prefer not to pay another ££, and when I hear from them they may offer to cover costs straight off. I've got v little mechanical knowledge so does it sound like the garage should cover the costs? They have been great in the past with stuff, the guy who did the work on the van lives in the same village as me - knows me enough to call me by name when we pass in street, receptionist at garage always remembers name etc so I don't want to make a fuss unless it's necessary and correct to.

Paul B

• forum hero
#1247 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
October 22, 2023, 05:25:49 pm
Do you know which discs they put on the van?

El Mocho

• forum abuser
#1248 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
October 22, 2023, 07:15:46 pm
No idea. I can see if it says on receipt although that's likely still in the van...

Paul B

• forum hero
#1249 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
October 22, 2023, 07:32:17 pm
I was just trying to establish if you've had OEM or equivalent parts or something lesser installed.

If you've got a good relationship with your garage then is the starting point simply not to ask what they think happened and then get that sense checked?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal