UKBouldering.com

Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !! (Read 277839 times)

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#575 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
April 13, 2018, 08:28:19 am
I’ve found a mint looking Mazda, not far away from me at all. So will try and get along and see it soon. The other thing to consider is all I am going to do is whack a load of miles on it, so realistically I’m better off with something that is relatively cheap to buy and run, and that I don’t mind tootling about in for the next few years.

The RS6 Avant will just have to wait a few years!

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#576 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
April 13, 2018, 02:01:13 pm
The Mazda 5 is one step too close to a people carrier I'm afraid. Its bad enough that I have to give up on my dream of owning something totally stupid like an S4, R32, Impreza or other equally fast and unsuitable car. I couldn't bring myself to crusing about in an MPV. Sorry if I sound like a wally, just I know what I like, and know what I really don't like.

I'm the same as you - I have been round virtually the same process as you looking for something sensible and slighly bigger for family use, only to end up with a 12 year old 210bhp 2.0l turbo petrol Saab.

I figured I'll give it 6 months, see how much it cripples me financially and take a view from there. Can always punt it on if it gets silly.

tomtom

• forum hero
#577 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
April 13, 2018, 02:24:39 pm
Looked at the seat estates? Exeo, Leon?

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#578 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
April 13, 2018, 03:18:38 pm
TTT good to know I'm not alone!

TT yes I've had a butchers at the Exeo, it is in essence and A4 so not quite big enough unfortunately. Cheers for the shout though.

tomtom

• forum hero
#579 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
April 13, 2018, 05:27:25 pm
Present you casting the net at the moment for a small estate.

Interested in trying the latest small petrol lumps 3 cylinder 1.0 used by BMW, VAG and Ford... time to cast away my long line of oil burners...

Paul B

• forum hero
#580 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
April 13, 2018, 05:56:21 pm
A lady at work just had her turbo go pop on the 1.0 3 cyclinder petrol engine used by VAG at 22k miles  :tumble:

tomtom

• forum hero
#581 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
April 13, 2018, 06:16:23 pm
Yes..... under warranty I assume..

tomtom

• forum hero
#582 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
April 14, 2018, 02:56:36 pm
Word up - MOT changing quite a lot from May 20th. Esp for 2006 onwards diesel owners...

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/apr/14/mot-changes-strict-tests-diesel-cars-fail?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#583 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
April 17, 2018, 09:01:40 pm
Update!

Paid deposit on a mint Mazda 6 today, picking it up from Derby on Thursday so will report back once I’ve got it (taking a bit of a gamble as bought a one way train ticket there, so car better be what they say it is, or I’ll be asking for recommendations for hotels in Derby!)

measles23

• stalker
#584 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
April 17, 2018, 10:52:28 pm
The RS6 Avant will just have to wait a few years!

Indeed the perfect all round car - great family car, great load hauler (mine regularly takes bales of hay/straw etc) - good in snow, magnificent in rain - also the a6 frame takes a Saturn pad across the backseats leaving boot free for other pads..

If it makes you hate me any less for having one, the low profiles are pitiful on peak potholes and I’m currently off road with my concurrent 4th and 5th punctures over the last 2yrs - tyres £300 a pop

old cheese

• obsessive maniac
  • does my arse look big in this
#585 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
April 17, 2018, 11:17:56 pm
Mike, if it all goes pear shaped then it is an easy 20 min train journey up to matlock to stay at ours.

tomtom

• forum hero
#586 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
April 18, 2018, 07:05:19 am
Nice one mike. Hope it’s all good.

On a random Q - does anyone in Manchester have a 7mm Allen key/hex on a 1/2 inch socket I can borrow?

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#587 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
April 18, 2018, 10:25:03 am
Mike, if it all goes pear shaped then it is an easy 20 min train journey up to matlock to stay at ours.

Cheers matey! Fingers crossed all goes well!

bigironhorse

• junky
    • YouTube
#588 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
May 19, 2018, 10:37:43 am
Car broke down yesterday on way out of Sheffield  :( can anyone recommend someone local and cheap to tow it to a garage? If anyone on here has a vehicle capable of towing a skoda fabia ~5 miles would be willing to pay £50 for a tow!

Simon W

• menacing presence
#589 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
May 20, 2018, 07:02:59 pm
Thinking about getting a new car. Been looking at all the usual estates and MPVs but second hand price on many of these would be the same as a brand new Dacia Logan MCV.

I'm looking at the petrol TCe 0.9L version, seems to have good MPG and a massive boot so thinking it would be a good option to fit the family and a load of gear in to get about for the next few years. Currently driving a 20 year old 1L Polo so really not too fussed about spec and performance as anything will be an upgrade on what I've currently got. Can extend from a 3 year to a 7 year warranty for around £800 so considering buying new so I'm set for the next 7 years. Don't see many about though so wondering if this is because there are a bit shit!

Just wondering whether anyone on here has got one and can give any input?

tomtom

• forum hero
#590 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
May 20, 2018, 09:53:21 pm
Look at the numbers for getting one thats 1yo. You can probably extend the warranty if you want to - and you'll save at least 20% on new... Or get one with a few bells and whistles (e.g. AC and maybe bluetooth etc..) for the same price as the most basic models.

If you go for new - ring around Dacia dealers around the UK to see what kind of deal they'll do.. the warranty/servicing will work in any garage once you've bought it....

Personally I'm never going to buy a new car again (brand new). Its nice and all that, but loses 20% (the vat) the moment you drive it off the forecourt - and I always noticed every blemish and thing that happened to it. At least with a second hand car (even one year old) I'm not so precious about it.

I have no idea what they're like though. sorry!!

Simon W

• menacing presence
#591 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
May 21, 2018, 06:03:38 am
Cheers Tom, I'd never have considered brand new previously for the reason you mention. Just wondering if in this case it may be worth paying the premium to get the full 7 years peace of mind warranty and to know the car's history. Guessing due to type of car it is there's not too many out there that will have been thrashed by boy racers though anyway.

Hadn't thought about getting the warranty extended on a nearly new, was going to book a test drive so will get more info about how the warranty works.

Thanks again.

bigironhorse

• junky
    • YouTube
#592 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
January 08, 2019, 09:08:13 am
I've discovered that the seals under the door cards on the rear doors of my car are letting in water. I've bought some sealant from halfords, any one got any tips for repairing the leak and getting a good seal?

BuzyG

#593 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
January 12, 2019, 12:42:11 pm
I've discovered that the seals under the door cards on the rear doors of my car are letting in water. I've bought some sealant from halfords, any one got any tips for repairing the leak and getting a good seal?
Try Gummi Pflege.  Great on frameless window seals, might do the trick.

Rocksteady

• forum abuser
  • Crank
  • Hotter than the sun!
#594 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
January 30, 2019, 03:04:30 pm
Bit of a weird one. My car has started smelling of damp really badly. But I can't identify any leaks or wet patches. Seems worst in the boot.

Any tips: (a) of what it might be/rogue leaks that I might not have considered; (b) how to stop a car smelling of damp?

Cheers!

Wil

• obsessive maniac
    • Wil Treasure
#595 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
January 30, 2019, 03:14:51 pm
(b) how to stop a car smelling of damp?

In the many leaky cars I've owned a margerine tub full of cat litter (punch holes in the top and put the whole thing in an old sock/tights) has done wonders for absorbing a lot of the moisture.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#596 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
January 30, 2019, 03:16:16 pm
I've just had this in my front passenger side foot well.

Check that drain lines for where rain water runs off your car. Chances are you've got a gulley blocked somewhere, or the actual drain hole filled up with a horrid black sludge of water and decomposing leaves (which was the case in mine).

Other than that I'd check the door and boot seals. The rubber perishes over time.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#597 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
January 30, 2019, 03:16:26 pm
Could try those allegedly dehumidfying stones or packets of silica in the boot? Obviously not ideal if you have a dog in there or similar.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#598 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
January 30, 2019, 03:52:51 pm

Mid-2000s Fabia have a well-known issue the rear door seals  - look at any of that era this time of year, back windows will always be fogged up.

There's a fix that main dealers do which involves silicone bathroom sealant. Worked on mine.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#599 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
January 30, 2019, 05:15:50 pm
Thinking about getting a new car. Been looking at all the usual estates and MPVs but second hand price on many of these would be the same as a brand new Dacia Logan MCV.

Branch of Renault isn’t it? They do ‘approved used’ ie nearly new but much cheaper and will have full warranty. I bought a Kia estate that way, pretty happy with the result.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal