UKBouldering.com

Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !! (Read 280586 times)

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#825 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
February 11, 2021, 10:37:51 am
Pretty weird request - but I've been hankering after the new Yaris GR, but have zero intentions of ever signing up for a lease on one, especially as I barely drive anywhere now.

From a mate who did similar with a 911, rented one for a weekend and said it was the best thing he'd ever done as he'd "scratched that itch now"...anyone come across a place where I could rent one for a weekend?

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
#826 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
February 11, 2021, 11:15:17 am
You can hire them at the ring... Good excuse for a weekend away when we can travel to Germany

gme

• forum hero
#827 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
February 11, 2021, 05:12:06 pm
Pretty weird request - but I've been hankering after the new Yaris GR, but have zero intentions of ever signing up for a lease on one, especially as I barely drive anywhere now.

From a mate who did similar with a 911, rented one for a weekend and said it was the best thing he'd ever done as he'd "scratched that itch now"...anyone come across a place where I could rent one for a weekend?

Ive had a few extended test drives off dealers and lease companies if they think your keen to sign up. Got and RS3 off Audi for 4 days totally free, although we do have a lot of Audis off them for the business so guess this wasnt normal.
Merc gave me an A3 AMG overnight as well and i didnt lease one afterwards.

You would be amazed what you can get test drives in from dealers if they think your legit.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#828 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
February 12, 2021, 09:14:23 am
Yeah I did consider that route but I guess it's a bit brazen / sketchy, and in COVID-land probably not the cleverest thing.

On the subject of Yaris GRs and brazen behaviour...check out Chris Harris' Twitter feed, he's called out an "influencer" for some typically influencer-ish behaviour.

Seems Influencer A approached tuning company Lichfield with their new Yaris GR, with a view to getting Lichfield's new suspension kit on it. Apparently this was followed up by a request that Lichfield pay Influencer A £25k for the exposure, plus an ongoing %age of any sales!

Paul B

• forum hero
#829 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
February 12, 2021, 12:56:11 pm
There's also the very real risk that this doesn't scratch the itch but instead inflames it  :tumble:

If anybody wants a laugh at my expense, the locking mechanism on the A6's fuel cap stuck on me recently, typically when the tank was approaching empty. The emergency release did sweet FA and was approximately double the length it should be suggesting that this issue may have presented itself previously. An ocean of WD40 appears to have fixed it for now but I think for the £30 I'll just replace the part!

205Chris

• forum hero
#830 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
February 12, 2021, 01:06:10 pm
If you want to test drive something enthusiastically then now is the time to do it.

Dealers don't come out with you on test drives due to COVID.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#831 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
February 12, 2021, 01:22:54 pm
If you want to test drive something enthusiastically...

205Chris

• forum hero
#832 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
February 12, 2021, 01:34:38 pm
If you want to test drive something enthusiastically...

True story -  that's the very origin of my username, although the car has long since gone. Shame, as it's probably worth a small fortune now.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#833 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
February 12, 2021, 01:53:28 pm
There's also the very real risk that this doesn't scratch the itch but instead inflames it  :tumble:

I think no matter how amazing it is, there's no way it's gonna convert me from a £2k shed which owes me nothing to a c.£250 monthly payment on something I a) don't own b) will sit around not getting driven and c) will probably be a crime-magnet!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#834 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
February 12, 2021, 02:27:01 pm
If anybody wants a laugh at my expense, the locking mechanism on the A6's fuel cap stuck on me recently, typically when the tank was approaching empty. The emergency release did sweet FA and was approximately double the length it should be suggesting that this issue may have presented itself previously. An ocean of WD40 appears to have fixed it for now but I think for the £30 I'll just replace the part!

Mate had the same problem on his, said apparently it's a common fault?

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#835 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
February 12, 2021, 03:20:26 pm
We had it happen on my other half's old (£2k shed) Clio - after removing most of my knuckles finding and triggering the emergency release, I just snipped off the locking "pin" thing.

Not like people syphoning off your fuel is really a common crime nowadays, they're more interested in angle-grinding your Cat off, or just breaking into your house for your keys so they can export your car to Europe and break it for parts!

gme

• forum hero
#836 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
February 12, 2021, 03:47:16 pm

Its happened twice on my wifes A class. The 1st time she was in a mad rush and ripped the colour coded cover off trying to open it. Luckily they paid for that as well.

gme

• forum hero
#837 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
February 12, 2021, 03:50:57 pm
If you want to test drive something enthusiastically then now is the time to do it.

Dealers don't come out with you on test drives due to COVID.

I have found they actually encourage you to drive enthusiastically when they are with you. I guess they want to hook you in and you dont buy an RS/AMG/M car to pootle about in.

Paul B

• forum hero
#838 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
February 13, 2021, 09:08:34 pm
My Dad was a traffic policeman for most of his career. It was always fun going out on test drives with dealers being a little panicked by his 'commitment' in the corners.

I don't know where its gone mind you as I drove his toy (which isn't my cup of tea), a V6 Quattro original TT, and he was wanting me to drive it at speeds my current shed would've been fine. He's the same.

Yes, the filler cap issue is common on Audis, but you can't just vandalise the mechanism as its also the bit that holds the flap flush to the body (it's a T headed mechanism that rotates through 90deg as it goes in/out and engages in a slot). The part is <£30.

Duma

• forum hero
#839 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 04, 2021, 03:47:26 pm
was perusing autotrader, with TT's advice on comfy seats in mind, and this popped up - think its a sign!

Paul B

• forum hero
#840 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 04, 2021, 04:12:33 pm
We had really cold temperatures up here a few weeks ago (as in minus and double figures at night) and having not needed to go anywhere both cars had been stood. Don't let cars with lots of electrics get a flat battery unless you want a whole world of pain.

Thankfully Peewee owns a CARISTA bluetooth OBD dongle and with the Car Scanner Android App I was able to reset it (airbag system on Audi's supposedly need this every time).

Given the cost of a diagnostic scan such items pay for themselves.

tomtom

• forum hero
#841 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 04, 2021, 04:19:40 pm
was perusing autotrader, with TT's advice on comfy seats in mind, and this popped up - think its a sign!

I like mine (it’s a focus built by Volvo - so has good handling etc..) but it does have a smallish boot - that frustratingly is only 90cm wide so most pads have to go in with the back seats down. Except organic regular pads... had mine for nearly five years if you want any tips/more info...

tomtom

• forum hero
#842 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 04, 2021, 04:23:02 pm
We had really cold temperatures up here a few weeks ago (as in minus and double figures at night) and having not needed to go anywhere both cars had been stood. Don't let cars with lots of electrics get a flat battery unless you want a whole world of pain.

Thankfully Peewee owns a CARISTA bluetooth OBD dongle and with the Car Scanner Android App I was able to reset it (airbag system on Audi's supposedly need this every time).

Given the cost of a diagnostic scan such items pay for themselves.

Mine had a low battery warning the other day - as it’s only been in one short journey a week since Jan...

Figured I needed a trickle charger. I discovered this is now a whole different ballgame since I last got one ten years ago or more. Many modern cars can’t use old ones or be jump started - it Seems gel batteries need a fancy charger...

In the end I got an Einhell one off Amazon for £22 - it’s not fast (2A max) bit worked fine and now all is back to normal (including the start stop).

Duma

• forum hero
#843 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 04, 2021, 04:31:34 pm

I like mine (it’s a focus built by Volvo - so has good handling etc..) but it does have a smallish boot - that frustratingly is only 90cm wide so most pads have to go in with the back seats down. Except organic regular pads... had mine for nearly five years if you want any tips/more info...

Any tips gratefully recieved, it'd be a motorway tool almost entirely (bristol - swindon). Your comments on the seats was what made me look at them as I don't really get on with the A3's. That one's done 90k, anything to look out for?

Paul B

• forum hero
#844 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 04, 2021, 04:34:52 pm
I'm not that keen on Einhell after buying a petrol strimmer that had a mind of its own (randomly engaging when set down by itself on first use which was less than desirable). Dealing with them (being petrol it couldn't just go back to Toolstation) was a total PITA.

I believe CTEK are good for trickle chargers / battery conditioners; this advice comes from my boss, who is a glutton for punishment with classic cars (inc. a TVR).

tomtom

• forum hero
#845 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 04, 2021, 05:17:12 pm
@duma - what engine you looking at? Mine came with the winter pack (heated seats and electric front screen) that’s ace in winter. The next trim up has adaptive cruise that would be great for motorway plodding (i had the choice on one with that but worse colour). That bright Volvo blue is ace.

@paul. Ctek ones were £60+. For the one time in 5 years I’ll probably use it £22 seemed a better bet. It’s worked perfectly.

Duma

• forum hero
#846 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 04, 2021, 05:45:12 pm
It's the D4 rline

Paul B

• forum hero
#847 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 04, 2021, 06:02:44 pm
@paul. Ctek ones were £60+. For the one time in 5 years I’ll probably use it £22 seemed a better bet. It’s worked perfectly.

Yup! I've got my Dad's here currently which looks like it's from the 80s  8).

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#848 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 04, 2021, 06:04:11 pm
Talking of cars the Fiendmobile is showing it's age with various annoying niggles (just like it's owner) and thus I'm considering a similar replacement for when I'm able to drive further than the local Tesco.

Sticking with VAG of course, ideally a like-for-like slightly younger A3 but they seem to be pretty rare in the right spec (<7K, >2010, <80K, auto gearbox, 5 door - as I've turned into a right fanny I'm willing to go below 150bhp and above 9 sec 0-60 (although not too far!)). Thus have considered other options. Seat Leon - again pretty rare with the right spec. Skoda - not really similar.

What IS coming up a lot is a VW Golf, I tried one when I got the A3 but didn't like the inside ergonomics of the pre 2010 models, very low central console etc. They seem to improved since then, and obviously I'd be going for an era before everything got fucking touchscreen-ified for maximum inconvenience and driver distraction. There seem to be plenty around in 1.4 TSI (tempted be petrol after DPF issues) or 1.8+ TDI and decent spec. Not bothered about fanciness apart from steering wheel controls and cruise control. Any thoughts from the UKB massif?? Am I right in assuming that dealers are not doing test drives at the covid moment?? (Based on a sample of one dealer I tried, who said they were doing in-car inspections and start-ups but only 14 day money back guarantees in lieu of road tests).

tomtom

• forum hero
#849 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 04, 2021, 06:24:11 pm
If it’s a 5 cylinder D4 it’ll be fun and it’s a solid (if a little old) lump.

But the 4 pot D4’s had persistent problems with the EGR valve. It’s a fancy twin turbo set up (small one for low revs, large one for high) and when I was looking at Volvo forums (up to 2018) a good few people were still having problems with them. Multiple dealer visits etc.. may well be resolved now but it was an issue. Watch the tax too - that can be high for quicker diesels...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal