UKBouldering.com

Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !! (Read 281665 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
#75 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
July 13, 2013, 04:37:46 pm
My first car insurance policy was £220 (TTFT) in 1987... its never ever been cheaper than that for me, despite getting older, no claims etc..

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#76 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
July 15, 2013, 12:09:47 pm
Mark they obviously know you were a Scooby owner and posted the Petrolheads video clips thread :D

TT, thanks for the info about driving belt, got it replaced in the end.

Insurance renewal this year is only £580 (~£3k car, a lot of years no claims), hasn't gone up for a while which is nice.

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
#77 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
July 15, 2013, 08:49:24 pm
265 quid to insure a 1100cc saxo.....

It's a Saxo - typically driven by kids whose ago is less than your bicep diameter (in inches!!). Don't think I paid much more for my VRS.

Paul B

• forum hero
#78 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
July 16, 2013, 01:05:39 am
That's nuts. Mines the same price,  2 yr old golf.. Same ish age no claims etc..

but they forgot to put an engine in your golf so it isn't going anywhere?  ;)

tomtom

• forum hero
#79 Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
July 16, 2013, 07:56:58 am
That's nuts. Mines the same price,  2 yr old golf.. Same ish age no claims etc..

but they forgot to put an engine in your golf so it isn't going anywhere?  ;)

I'll get them to look at that - should be under the warranty....

underground

• forum hero
#80 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
July 18, 2013, 11:14:22 pm
Right, used BMW or Audi advice needed. I'm a bit bored and nonplussed by the new car experience, and I think I prefer to weigh in my motor and go used (value to settlement means I can walk away with a few quid in my pocket) - the idea being rather than paying a further year of PCP on the car, I can borrow a chunk of cash at a vastly reduced interest rate, not suffer much at all in terms of driving experience, provided I buy something with a decent warranty, and end up with a thing of value at the end of it having paid for a bit of servicing, which I can then choose to sell and recoup a reasonable amount of money on rather than walk away having spent the same amount for nowt...

So i'm looking 3 series touring, 318 or 320 d, or A4 avant - not too bothered about mileage being diesel, not too high obviously, and especially in BMW, 2007 on for the Efficiency Dynamics.

Test driven both (A4 2.0 TDi 143 S line (used) and 320d SE (new) and like them both. The BMW was definitely interesting and nicer in the way the RWD delivered the power, less sketchy on uneven roads (A57 out to Moscar where a FWD might have bounced a bit as the front wheels hit the rough patches it didn't seem to notice)

underground

• forum hero
#81 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
July 18, 2013, 11:21:58 pm
Yes as I said it's just down to pure bad luck (unless andy is right).

None of the tyres have been worn in the slightest and all 4 have had a nail/screw/random bit of metal stuck in them.
Just re-reading this thread.... could this be anything to do with the fact you have to drive past a plumber's trade counter every day?

tomtom

• forum hero
#82 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
July 19, 2013, 08:55:49 am
So i'm looking 3 series touring, 318 or 320 d, or A4 avant - not too bothered about mileage being diesel, not too high obviously, and especially in BMW, 2007 on for the Efficiency Dynamics.

Test driven both (A4 2.0 TDi 143 S line (used) and 320d SE (new) and like them both. The BMW was definitely interesting and nicer in the way the RWD delivered the power, less sketchy on uneven roads (A57 out to Moscar where a FWD might have bounced a bit as the front wheels hit the rough patches it didn't seem to notice)

I had an old 320d touring (E46) and it was a great car - I believe the correct term is a 'More involved driving experience' and it was certainly more twitchy/responsive than the regular front wheel drive tractors.. THis is great most of the time, but made it a little too ansty for my liking on motorways (it would get dragged a little by the truck troughs). But they are complete dog shit in the snow. I mean not just bad - really bad. You can hustle them along OK on fresh snow, but any of that icy shit and you move around with the grace of Carlton Palmer on ice.. Fat low profile tyres and RWD = snow badness... I was getting 45-50 to a gallon from that, and moved to a brand new Golf Bluemotion and get much better economy - and a more brainless motorway experience...

A good friend has a new 320D and gets very good mileage from it - my 120K 8 yr old (when I sold it) Bimmer was better built than a brand new golf (in terms of interior squeaks, solidness).

I know naaaaathing about the A4's except they also have a good reputation.

Considered the Octavia Estate..? (huuuge) which is actually the same as a Golf Estate (another good option - which are a bit rarer and surprisingly cheaper than the hatches as no-one seems to want them though still great cars..)

underground

• forum hero
#83 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
August 15, 2013, 12:45:11 pm
I decided to keep the Passat, after a couple of test drives confirmed that I actually really like it etc.
However, it's in for the 2 year service at the mo and I just got the call to try to screw a few more quid out of me... 'The technician has noted the wiper blades are starting to smear' but since I didn't buy from them, they don't know that the current ones are a month old like for like replacement. Lying, robbing chuffs.

tomtom

• forum hero
#84 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
August 15, 2013, 02:22:21 pm
I decided to keep the Passat, after a couple of test drives confirmed that I actually really like it etc.
However, it's in for the 2 year service at the mo and I just got the call to try to screw a few more quid out of me... 'The technician has noted the wiper blades are starting to smear' but since I didn't buy from them, they don't know that the current ones are a month old like for like replacement. Lying, robbing chuffs.

Yup - main dealers :( Mines up for a service now its free 30k service deal is up - and I'm straight off to my usual indie garage...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#85 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
August 15, 2013, 02:47:08 pm
Do all the mechanics have floppy hair, wear baggy jeans and play guitars?

tomtom

• forum hero
#86 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
August 15, 2013, 03:01:11 pm
Do all the mechanics have floppy hair, wear baggy jeans and play guitars?

Yeah - thats the one. I used to take it to the Emo garage but despite being black they baulked (they get alot of Hearse servicing nowadays).

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#87 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
September 17, 2013, 03:43:41 pm

Swings and roundabouts. Mine went for it's 2 yr service recently and they didn't try to screw me at all. Also, they came and picked it up from my house and dropped it off a few hours later saving me the faff of dropping it off, courtesy cars etc etc. And they'd washed it.

Yup - main dealers :( Mines up for a service now its free 30k service deal is up - and I'm straight off to my usual indie garage...

Hilarious. I do such low mileage now that I'll get nowhere near 30k by the time my 3 yr / 30k service contract is up. Done just over 15k in 2 yrs most of which was in the first.

I'm trying to use this as justification for buying a far less economical car next year but I don't think it's going to work.  ;)

tomtom

• forum hero
#88 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
September 17, 2013, 04:19:33 pm
Which reminds me..
Just picked mine up from the 'cosmetic repairs unit' - having a couple of scrapes that (1) a neigbour and (2) some random in a supermarket car park gave to the beast. The only (and its proved sensible) 'add on' that I bought with the car was a 3 year scrapes policy (for £300), where they fix any dents/scratches/bumps (up to 15cm) for a £10 excess (waived it you take it to their bodyshop instead of doing it at home). So far I've had 5 done and recon I've more than made my money back. Living in a city street it makes the "what f*cking wankers done that" moment a bit more paletable...

Just clocked 50K... :(

Paul B

• forum hero
#89 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
September 17, 2013, 11:29:57 pm
Rather than start a new thread I thought I'd ask here:

Does anyone have any bright ideas on how to sell the van we've just bought for this trip?

We've got it advertised on Supertopo, Mountainproject and Craigslist but we're not really getting any interest at all. This is no doubt partially due to the fact we're flying out of Denver and people in the area have bigger things to worry about than buying a vehicle right now.

We've got a price from a Webuyanycar type company and its fairly insultingly low (more so than when I priced up the Fabia this way in the UK) but currently its looking like our last resort option is our only option.

It's been pointed out that selling is only a matter of 'price' but given we've got a little over a week to sell it I'm getting nervous on how to approach this (also, the minute it sells we've got nowhere to stay which is obviously an issue and a cost).

dave

#90 Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
September 18, 2013, 08:54:17 am
Can you still swap it for a gun? A bet a gun is easier to shift over there.

tomtom

• forum hero
#91 Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
September 18, 2013, 09:07:27 am
Car dealers - they'll see you coming a mile off - but in your position sadly the buyer holds most of the cards... whack 30-50% on top of the we buy any car etc... shizzle and tell them thats what you've been offered?

BTW, you know the we buy any car people have another round of reducing the price when you bring it in 'you didnt tell us about that scratch'... etc.. bullshit..

OR - get involved in a underground card game - and use it as stake money?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#92 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
September 18, 2013, 09:23:01 am
I was in the same situation, I put up flyers in the local climbing gyms around Denver, Boulder etc and didn't get a bite. I ended up having to sell to a second hand dealer who robbed me blind, but time was running out and I had no choice. There was a car auction place where they offered to put the van up with a minimum reserve and they took a fee, but I was out of time. Is there a US equivalent to Autotrader? I have a friend who lives in Denver, I could see what she suggests?

hamsforlegs

• regular
  • Wildcat. Pkow.
#93 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
September 18, 2013, 06:12:35 pm
I just sold a Subaru in Vancouver before moving back to the UK and had a similar issue. The wholesale price is usually crazily low (probably about one third to a half of what you would pay at a dealership), and dealers don't feel any pressure to pay more than that because they can always just pick up something similar at auction.

Bearing that in mind, we looked up the book value and pitched our Craigslist ad for a price halfway between normal forecourt pricing and the wholesale price. In our ad we totally fronted up that we had a limited time to sell, that we were pitching a good price, and that we would consider sensible offers. We also included a brutally honest description of the condition in the ad so that we could avoid any protracted haggling over faults.

We got a lot of serious enquiries and sold quickly, but for a lot less than the real value of the car. Still better than cutting it fine and taking a log offer from a dealer.

Good luck getting it shifted.

Paul B

• forum hero
#94 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
September 18, 2013, 06:30:05 pm
Can you still swap it for a gun? A bet a gun is easier to shift over there.

Sadly we're not still in Vegas. I WAS seriously interested in what firearms he thought might make a fair trade for a van?

If the webuyyourcar people do another round of reducing then they'll effectively be taking it off our hands for nothing to "do us a favour" (the offer was that low).

Good info re: wholesale prices, that makes a lot of sense. Before we bought it we discussed the fact that we simply may not be able to shift it at the end and we'd have to be willing to write the cost of the van off (it was always going to be cheaper than hiring something suitable for 6 months). It'd be good if it did sell for something as I saw a rather nice Passat V6 Tdi on ebay the other day...(Nat seems to want a twingo!).

We're not yet in Denver but I'd given up on any interest from the Boulder region / climbers given what a mess the flooding has caused there.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#95 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
September 18, 2013, 06:42:05 pm
Plus side is Denver has loads of second hand garages in one area; Broadway in Engelwood if I remember, you can just drive the street and see who gives you the best offer.

Paul B

• forum hero
#96 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
September 18, 2013, 06:42:51 pm
Plus side is Denver has loads of second hand garages in one area; Broadway in Engelwood if I remember, you can just drive the street and see who gives you the best offer.

and pick up another free cap from Rockys Autos...

tomtom

• forum hero
#97 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
September 18, 2013, 08:14:36 pm
Being serious - if you go the craigslist way - why not consider swapping for something you could reasonably take back with you of value - macbook for example...?

underground

• forum hero
#98 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
September 18, 2013, 09:58:39 pm

Swings and roundabouts. Mine went for it's 2 yr service recently and they didn't try to screw me at all. Also, they came and picked it up from my house and dropped it off a few hours later saving me the faff of dropping it off, courtesy cars etc etc. And they'd washed it.

Hilarious. I do such low mileage now that I'll get nowhere near 30k by the time my 3 yr / 30k service contract is up. Done just over 15k in 2 yrs most of which was in the first.

I'm trying to use this as justification for buying a far less economical car next year but I don't think it's going to work.  ;)
I must admit I got the valet and collect/drop off (plus a Convertible Beetle 'Fender 50's edition' with red leather seats for the day to drive around feeling daft in). I'm in the same boat mileage wise, about 19k, and I'm starting to see fuel economy improve like they said it would, so it'd be daft to replace after 2 years having paid for bluemotion etc...

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal