UKBouldering.com

Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !! (Read 281050 times)

sdm

• forum abuser
#625 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 29, 2019, 12:24:20 pm
If it is just the linkage, that can be a fairly straightforward DIY fix on many cars even with no mechanical knowledge (like me).

The linkage went on my last car. Luckily, it went when I was in 3rd gear and I was only 3 miles from home late at night on quiet roads so I was able to nurse it home. I was worried it was going to be a very expensive problem but a quick bit of research when I got home left me confident it was worth trying to fix myself as the local garage was shut over the weekend anyway.

I think the replacement part was about 2 fuck alls from ebay and YouTube guided me through the rest. It was fiddly accessing it and took a couple of hours due to my lack of expertise but it wasn't difficult.

The replaced part outlasted the car and I never had any further gearbox issues.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#626 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 29, 2019, 12:51:26 pm
cheers all, bit more worried now than when I asked! It's booked in to the garage down the road on tues, won't need to drive it before then. Garage didn't seem too concerned, so fingers crossed.

My experience with my A3 has been that the sensors are less reliable than the issue they're supposed to warn you about.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#627 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 29, 2019, 01:07:38 pm
If it is just the linkage, that can be a fairly straightforward DIY fix on many cars even with no mechanical knowledge (like me).

The linkage went on my last car. Luckily, it went when I was in 3rd gear and I was only 3 miles from home late at night on quiet roads so I was able to nurse it home. I was worried it was going to be a very expensive problem but a quick bit of research when I got home left me confident it was worth trying to fix myself as the local garage was shut over the weekend anyway.

I think the replacement part was about 2 fuck alls from ebay and YouTube guided me through the rest. It was fiddly accessing it and took a couple of hours due to my lack of expertise but it wasn't difficult.

The replaced part outlasted the car and I never had any further gearbox issues.

Interesting; its a rod and another part that needs replacing in addition anyway so the scope for self repair is limited even if I was halfway competent! Sounds like the linkages had previously been repaired with cable ties (apparently a common repair) so they're sorting that out too. I don't have the inclination or the ability to fix cars myself even if it does lose me man points...

Mine went with the stick in 5th but I ended up unable to accelerate so rescue was the only option!

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#628 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 29, 2019, 01:41:46 pm
I had an old Citroen XM (god that was a good car - massive, more like a boat, but a good car nonetheless) that dropped a linkage.

Called out the AA and I don't think I'm misremembering this, he fixed it with a paperclip we found in my glovebox as he hadn't got anything small enough. I was given strict instructions to get to to a garage and properly fixed, but the car ran fine with it in and did so for a further 9 months!

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#629 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
April 09, 2019, 08:12:26 pm

petejh

• forum hero
#630 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
April 25, 2019, 02:35:50 pm
Just because.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#631 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
April 25, 2019, 02:38:17 pm
Not another one. Who started this thread..

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#632 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
April 25, 2019, 05:16:49 pm
Easy to answer that question!

Intercoursing?

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#633 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
April 26, 2019, 01:12:32 pm
I was minding my own business this morning at 60mph when a pigeon decided to drop in for a friendly chat. Sadly, it was totally obliterated before we could properly converse, leaving a crack across 3/4 of the width of my windscreen, which isn't covered under my cheapskate insurance policy.

Does anybody have any experience with prices for this sort of thing? A quick look on Autoglass gives a quote for about £400. Am I likely to get much cheaper by calling round or is this the going rate?

dunnyg

• forum hero
#634 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
April 26, 2019, 01:17:37 pm
You coo-coo'd get a better quote elsewhere (maybe)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#635 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
April 26, 2019, 01:18:37 pm
Thank you for your input, Huw  :)

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#636 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
April 26, 2019, 01:19:40 pm
I was minding my own business this morning at 60mph when a pigeon decided to drop in for a friendly chat. Sadly, it was totally obliterated before we could properly converse, leaving a crack across 3/4 of the width of my windscreen, which isn't covered under my cheapskate insurance policy.

Does anybody have any experience with prices for this sort of thing? A quick look on Autoglass gives a quote for about £400. Am I likely to get much cheaper by calling round or is this the going rate?

Is the renewal soon? Just wait it out until then if so, take out the appropriate policy, wait a month and then use the windscreen repair element (which you have ensured is included) which shouldn't affect your no claims.  :thumbsup:

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#637 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
April 26, 2019, 01:38:04 pm

Is the renewal soon? Just wait it out until then if so, take out the appropriate policy, wait a month and then use the windscreen repair element (which you have ensured is included) which shouldn't affect your no claims.  :thumbsup:

As inviting as a life of crime may be, the renewal is due in October.

I'm not expecting people to get me quotes, just wondering if anybody has had this done recently and has any experience of whether there was a significant difference in price/quality between Autoglass and a smaller company/local independent.

petejh

• forum hero
#638 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
April 26, 2019, 01:39:04 pm
You could just wing it until then.

Duma

• forum hero
#639 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
April 26, 2019, 01:46:50 pm
I had my van done by national windscreens (was selling it and insurance had just lapsed) , £120. (ie only a few fuck alls more than the excess on the insurance was) Think it's very dependent on the windscreen itself, some modern heated/coated ones are pretty expensive.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#640 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
April 26, 2019, 01:59:13 pm
You could try https://www.breakeryard.com/ or similar or even ebay for a second hand one. They offer a guarantee and everything.

I got a set of steel wheels for a ford focus delivered for £80.

seankenny

• forum hero
#641 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
July 07, 2019, 02:49:10 pm
Okay quick car question here. I was a bit of a dipshit today and accidentally put about 50p worth of diesel into my petrol Civic.

Do I need to get the fuel flushed out for such a small amount?

tomtom

• forum hero
#642 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
July 07, 2019, 03:03:17 pm
Its ‘probably’ ok. It will smoke for a bit when it burns it through bitbshould be alright. This is based on doing the same (May be a 5 ers worth of diesel though) in a fiesta hire car 20 years ago.

If it’s a newer car (ie worth more) then might be worth asking a professional. Presumably you filled up with petrol afterwards? If so that would help dilute the issue...

seankenny

• forum hero
#643 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
July 07, 2019, 04:59:40 pm
Yes filled up with petrol straight away. Drive it home which is apparently a no-no but only a few hundred meters.

tomtom

• forum hero
#644 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
July 07, 2019, 05:10:45 pm
I’ve a feeling that petrol in diesels fucks them up but not the other way around.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#645 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
July 07, 2019, 06:07:17 pm
I’ve a feeling that petrol in diesels fucks them up but not the other way around.

Correct. Bit of diesel in a petrol , it'll probably run a touch smokey but unless you've brimmed it you'll be reyt.

Petrol in a diesel on the other hand...my mate's wife brimmed their old Merc diesel with unleaded in the midst of a family emergency, and then drove it about 50 miles. He said he was amazed the thing survived, but that's 90s Mercedes engineering for you.

BuzyG

#646 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
July 24, 2019, 12:30:44 am

Correct. Bit of diesel in a petrol , it'll probably run a touch smokey but unless you've brimmed it you'll be reyt.

Petrol in a diesel on the other hand...my mate's wife brimmed their old Merc diesel with unleaded in the midst of a family emergency, and then drove it about 50 miles. He said he was amazed the thing survived, but that's 90s Mercedes engineering for you.
Yup agree with that.  Newer engines are a lot less tolerant, due to all he fecking emissions sensors.  Shouldn't do any long term harm though.

That said I panic when I have to stick £10 worth 95 Ron in mine, to get to a filling station with 99 Ron in he pump.  :w00t:

Ally Smith

• obsessive maniac
#647 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
July 24, 2019, 01:45:25 pm
Okay quick car question here. I was a bit of a dipshit today and accidentally put about 50p worth of diesel into my petrol Civic.

You'll be absolutely fine; doubt it'll even be that smokey if you have added a load of petrol on top.

Correct - diesel common rail fuel pumps are lubricated by the fuel. Gasoline/petrol has a very low lubricity and will screw-up your fuel pump double quick. Even then, a dilute mix of petrol in diesel might be okay in older diesels (e.g. the Mercedes example above, or pre-2014 VW PD TDI)

seankenny

• forum hero
#648 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
July 24, 2019, 03:28:15 pm

You'll be absolutely fine; doubt it'll even be that smokey if you have added a load of petrol on top.

Thanks guys, have driven it since and all has been well.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#649 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
November 18, 2019, 07:20:39 pm
Driving my 59 plate Seat Altea today and the “bulb’s gone” warning light was on the dashboard. Not a problem as each time you start it with such a fault it will tell you which bulb it is.

Restarted it and it listed about half the lights on the car and, sure enough, loads are out. At the front  I have a working main beam on one side, sidelight on the other and one indicator and that’s it. At the back the entire left side is out I think, one indicator works, can’t remember if it’s left or right though. Number plate lights and all but one fog light gone too.  :blink: When I indicate the indicator on the dashboard goes at double speed too, although this isn’t reflected in the indicators themselves.

Anyone have any idea what this is? The random collection of lights seems to rule out fuses going (the number plate ones are the only category that’s gone completely and it’s surely not all the bulbs going at once!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal