UKBouldering.com

Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !! (Read 277827 times)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#525 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
November 28, 2017, 04:27:15 pm
Cheers Ross. Was that a Fabia hatch? Same symptoms?

Googling suggests that this is a common problem with drum brakes. Causes seem to vary, though wet weather seems to be a common contributor. Some suggest that there's a small rust build up; another explanation is that the drum brakes release a glue like substance when used in the wet which then "sets" overnight (seems a bit far fetched?).
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 04:53:29 pm by Will Hunt »

Paul B

• forum hero
#526 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
November 28, 2017, 04:51:34 pm
How corroded are your rear discs (actually, are they discs or drums)? Just stop using the handbrake and leave it in gear  :devangel:

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#527 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
November 28, 2017, 04:59:30 pm
Soz, was editing when you posted. I think it's rear drum brakes; no idea if they're a bit rusty.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#528 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
November 28, 2017, 07:26:12 pm
I’d agree with Paul, leave it in 1st and apply handbrake lightly. Leaving it wrenched on In wet weather can cause them to stick a bit, we have the same problem at work (admittedly it’s on a nearly 30 year old ex military RB44) but as a general rule all vehicles are left in lowest gear and handbrake off. I appreciate you might not want to do this if it’s on a drive, but you’ll be fine.

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
#529 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
November 29, 2017, 08:47:06 am

Googling suggests that this is a common problem with drum brakes. Causes seem to vary, though wet weather seems to be a common contributor. Some suggest that there's a small rust build up; another explanation is that the drum brakes release a glue like substance when used in the wet which then "sets" overnight (seems a bit far fetched?).
Focus hatch with drum brakes. However it wasn't a problem with the corrosion/rust of the drum for me, just this small part that was broken. I can't remember or find (with googling) what this part was called though :(

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#530 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
November 29, 2017, 12:58:33 pm

Yes. Sound like common or garden brakes binding to me. Your first prognosis is probably the one - mild rust buildup caused by moisture and car not moving.

You clearly never had the "pleasure" of owning a 70s Mini as your first car. Used to happen all the time to mine.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#531 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
December 04, 2017, 10:16:05 am
2013 Skoda Fabia hatchback (the best car ever created  :ang:)

Okay, forget that thing about the brakes, it's been trumped big time.

18 months ago, when the car was still just in warranty, I took it to get serviced at an independent garage and was advised to get the turbo actuator looked at as it was making a lot of noise when revved. I took it to the dealership and had them look at it under warranty. They reported that this wasn't a fault. I've got the service invoice to prove this.

Fast forward a year and a half and I turn on the car to get two fault lights and the car in limp mode. Breakdown repair bloke can't fix it but the error code he's getting is to do with the turbo. It appears that the actuator (or something turbo related) has stopped moving.
Some googling indicates that people with this problem have ended up having to completely replace the turbo - in the region of 2k. Car not in warranty.

The dealership is going to look at the car this week and I want to be prepared for whatever argument I might need to have with them. The car has only done 45k miles and has a full documented service history. If they want to charge me big bucks to fix this, do I have any recourse? As far as I'm concerned, a well looked after car should not need a new turbo at that mileage, especially since the dealership looked at it 18 months ago and reported that all was well.

Any advice appreciated as I'm well out of my depth with this stuff.

Paul B

• forum hero
#532 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
December 04, 2017, 12:02:35 pm
As far as I'm concerned, a well looked after car should not need a new turbo at that mileage, especially since the dealership looked at it 18 months ago and reported that all was well.

Sure, it's early but if you've done lots of short journeys then the turbo won't have had a good life. £2k seems a bit steep for a turbo replacement unless it's already imploded?

tomtom

• forum hero
#533 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
December 04, 2017, 03:09:56 pm
Sadly its probably a 'tough shit mate' moment...

But - you could argue with the dealer that as this was investigated 18 months ago whether they could discount the repair to show good will on the part of the dealers and of Skoda (is it a Skoda?) - after all they do have a very good dealer reputation.

It may well be that any discounted dealer price for the fix is about the same (still more) than an independent garages fix costs... Its not an uncommon engine, sounds like its not an uncommon fault so shop around and as Paul said - £2k seems a bit steep for replacing a snail...

Has Paul been near, sat in or brushed past your car in the last 18 months? Such encounters are normally in the small print in car warranties to invalidate any claims.... ;)

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#534 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
December 04, 2017, 03:37:52 pm

It may well be that any discounted dealer price for the fix is about the same (still more) than an independent garages fix costs... Its not an uncommon engine, sounds like its not an uncommon fault so shop around and as Paul said - £2k seems a bit steep for replacing a snail...

Seconded - depending on how it goes you might want a second opinion.

I'd recommend German Autocare in Pudsey, who are a very good independant and look after my shed of a Fabia. Plus they're literally across the road from The Depot.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#535 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
December 04, 2017, 04:07:41 pm
Thanks guys, my garage down the road (who are great) also said it was likely to be a case of "tough shit".
I'll see what the dealer says and then get a quote from my local.

dunnyg

• forum hero
#536 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
December 23, 2017, 02:59:39 am
Exploring small engined estate possibilities at the moment.

Does anyone know how good pads stack in a kia c'eed estate or a vauxhall astra estate? Previously had a ford focus (ace for pads) and a skoda fabia (less good...).

cheers!

andy_e

• forum hero
#537 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
December 28, 2017, 01:14:20 pm
The Skoda locking wheel nut design is a heap of shit. Anybody got four spare normal nuts for a Fabia that they wouldn't mind parting with? Ta!

James Malloch

• forum hero
#538 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 08, 2018, 02:14:17 pm
I recently got my Berlingo serviced by Citroen and have a number of things which I might need to consider fixing soon. Some items (pollen filter & break fluid replacement) I'm going to get done at a local place due to the extortionate prices Citroen charge.

Others I'd prefer to get done elsewhere also but I've no idea what would be involved or if it's needed.

The main one is: "Engine under tray is broken and hanging down. May be best to remove it. Will need new tray and all fixings and both wheel arch liners"

They quoted £485 to do this (inc VAT) which seems a lot for something they describe "may" be best removing.

Any thoughts on how best to approach this or any garages in Leeds who could provide a second opinion? A quick Google shows you can get an under tray for around £40. But I'm not sure why the wheel arches would need replacing also.

They also quoted £275 to replace the front disk brakes and pads which have some cracking. Does this sound reasonable?

tomtom

• forum hero
#539 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 08, 2018, 02:32:35 pm

The main one is: "Engine under tray is broken and hanging down. May be best to remove it. Will need new tray and all fixings and both wheel arch liners"

They quoted £485 to do this (inc VAT) which seems a lot for something they describe "may" be best removing.

Any thoughts on how best to approach this or any garages in Leeds who could provide a second opinion? A quick Google shows you can get an under tray for around £40. But I'm not sure why the wheel arches would need replacing also.

They also quoted £275 to replace the front disk brakes and pads which have some cracking. Does this sound reasonable?

Its the plastic cover under the engine that helps keep crap off the engine and also makes the underside of the car more aerodynamic (in some cases). I've had loads of cars that never had one - and aside from a dirty engine (engines are rarely clean anyway!) on an older vehicle I wouldnt lose too much sleep over it not being there.. They probably quote the inner wheel arches as I guess thats something that the undertray is also screwed to (and the plastic has probably broken).

On my car the tray has fallen down (a bit too much rally driving scraping it :) ) and I just used a few self tapping screws to hold it up. This may be an option from your local garage if you ask. TBH, they'll probably just say rip it off mate.

£275 for discs and pads sounds like quite alot. Its also the type of job most nationwide tyre joints (e.g. Kwick Fit, National, ATS etc..) and places like Halfords will do. You can probably get an online quote for the price.

Google how to change the pollen filter - it may be a 5 min job you can do yourself following a youtube vid. On some cars its about as hard as changing a bag on a hoover...

James Malloch

• forum hero
#540 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 09, 2018, 08:32:56 am

Its the plastic cover under the engine that helps keep crap off the engine and also makes the underside of the car more aerodynamic (in some cases). I've had loads of cars that never had one - and aside from a dirty engine (engines are rarely clean anyway!) on an older vehicle I wouldnt lose too much sleep over it not being there.. They probably quote the inner wheel arches as I guess thats something that the undertray is also screwed to (and the plastic has probably broken).

On my car the tray has fallen down (a bit too much rally driving scraping it :) ) and I just used a few self tapping screws to hold it up. This may be an option from your local garage if you ask. TBH, they'll probably just say rip it off mate.

£275 for discs and pads sounds like quite alot. Its also the type of job most nationwide tyre joints (e.g. Kwick Fit, National, ATS etc..) and places like Halfords will do. You can probably get an online quote for the price.

Google how to change the pollen filter - it may be a 5 min job you can do yourself following a youtube vid. On some cars its about as hard as changing a bag on a hoover...

Cheers TT! I'll save myself the money and see what the local place says then. Good to know it's nothing vital. Could be a duct tape fix depending on how bad it is... same for the breaks, I'll get a quote but may leave them to run down a bit.

They did day on the phone that it's not an urgent job so no problem to wait.

The pollen filler does look easy as well, nor sure where the £60 charge they wanted was going... same for the £30 side lamp bulb!

Really appreciate the help.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#541 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 09, 2018, 09:15:18 am
A few sturdy cable ties should be OK to get it back in place. I've done that before, was probably stronger than screwing it in,a bit more "give" in the system. Might need to make some new holes in the tray.

With a Haynes manual or an online video and a decent trolley jack and a good set of tools, you can do pads and discs yourself in a couple of hours, if you really want to save the money, but it takes just one seized nut or threaded screw to really throw a spanner in the works (pun intended). I've not bothered since I got a paying job though, the time effort and skinned knuckles aren't worth the money. It's a standard job, so you can easily phone a few local garages to get a quote. Avoid Kwik Fit if you can though, had too many bad experiences.

Reprobate_Rob

• menacing presence
#542 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 09, 2018, 10:10:31 am
Are we talking about an older style Blingo here? If so I wouldn't worry about the under tray, unlikely to cause any problems until long after the engine/electricals give out. I'd also be a bit wary of just using cable ties to reattach it. Mine fell off (an '03 Blingo) on the M60 which wasn't much fun. Turned out it had only been cable tied on. In fact.....what car was that on Chris?  :P

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#543 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 09, 2018, 12:01:59 pm
Wasn't me. It was my old Espace, first and last time I ever owned a french vehicle. Main thing it does is stop water splashing up into electric compartment, which may account for the central locking activating when i used the indicators if it was raining.

Whoever fixed yours probably wasn't versed enough in the load bearing properties of cable ties. It's an art.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#544 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 09, 2018, 12:39:19 pm
It's a 59 plate Multispace. So fairly old, but definitely an updated version compared to some that I've seen in the past.

bigironhorse

• junky
    • YouTube
#545 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 10, 2018, 05:11:44 pm
I've noticed a bit of a vibration coming through the steering wheel of my car the last few weeks. Just got chance to jack it up and have found that there is considerable resistance to turning one of the rear wheels. So I am thinking seized bearing or brake. Only problem is I'm now stranded in Hull and need to get back to Sheffield tomorrow. Is it safe to drive back and get I looked at during the week or will I have to leave it here and get my folks to take it to a garage for me?

tomtom

• forum hero
#546 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 10, 2018, 05:27:34 pm
I've noticed a bit of a vibration coming through the steering wheel of my car the last few weeks. Just got chance to jack it up and have found that there is considerable resistance to turning one of the rear wheels. So I am thinking seized bearing or brake. Only problem is I'm now stranded in Hull and need to get back to Sheffield tomorrow. Is it safe to drive back and get I looked at during the week or will I have to leave it here and get my folks to take it to a garage for me?

Id be surprised if that was caus JT the vibration thru the steering wheel...

How big was the vibration (low speed, high speed or just at one speed?) and how hard is it to turn the rear wheel?

I recommend PMA motors on Newland Ave BTW.

bigironhorse

• junky
    • YouTube
#547 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 10, 2018, 05:34:09 pm
Vibration pretty minor, you would only notice it if you drove the car regularly, girlfriend didn't even notice. Only noticeable on smooth roads.  Only vibrates over 50mph. The unaffected wheel keeps spinning when you give it a turn. The dodgy one can be turned pretty easily with one hand but doesn't keep spinning.

bigironhorse

• junky
    • YouTube
#548 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 10, 2018, 05:37:24 pm
Cheers for the recommendation. Don't suppose you know if they're open Sundays? Have only found kwik fit so far and not that keen.

bigironhorse

• junky
    • YouTube
#549 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 10, 2018, 06:01:00 pm
Also the vibration is through the whole car not just specifically the steering wheel.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal