UKBouldering.com

Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !! (Read 281590 times)

Paul B

• forum hero
#1300 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 01, 2024, 10:06:47 pm
I've emailed you James in case you want to borrow the charger. I'm not here as of Monday but my wife is and I can easily leave it with a neighbour or somewhere secure.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#1301 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 02, 2024, 10:07:58 am
Thanks Paul, I really appreciate the offer but I’m visiting their house in Cumbria rather than at home in Skipton, so a bit far this time.

There’s a garage down the road which has them in stock for £80 so I’ll just sort a new one out as it would be a pain for her if it went again.

And thanks for the additional info Lopez, very useful to know!

James Malloch

• forum hero
#1302 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 02, 2024, 10:10:26 am
On her breaks, she always parks in gear without the handbrake on if she is leaving the car for more than a few days.

Though this time they have stuck anyway.

She was told it would be a massive job to fix. Is this really the case? It seems annoying to me and something I would try to sort out…

Paul B

• forum hero
#1303 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 02, 2024, 10:37:31 am
Depends what's stuck? It's labour intensive rebuilding calipers (watch M539 do it if you've got the time). You could try a can of Holts!

I've had the parking brake fail on my E46 at Manchester Airport from a cracked shoe. Likewise, my Dad needed two calipers rebuilding when he wintered his TT in my garage.

Lopez

• stalker
#1304 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 02, 2024, 12:07:00 pm
Brake calipers are actually some of the simplest and most straightforward repairs/rebuilds you can do on a car.

It's just a lump of cast iron or aluminium, with 1 moving part (piston) which is connected to the bracket wth 2 sliding pins so the caliper can move.

If it's seized it's because one of those 2 things (piston or sliding pins) are not moving freely. If the parking brake is cable operated sometimes the problem could be a frayed cable, but sems not to be the case here.

Very easy to remove the caliper to check the pins. Remove wheel, disconnect hoses/cables from whatever fixing brackets there are (just to get more movement. No need to disconnect from caliper), undo brake fluid reservoir cap (don't leave it open too long. It absorbs moisture from the air and gets f*cked), use a screwdriver between pads and disc to compress piston and get some clearance, close reservoir cap.

Now just remove two rubber caps at the back of the caliper, that give you access to the pins. The pins come out with an allen key through the hole the caps were protecting. Unscrew the pins out, and the caliper can come out with a bit of wiggling.

Now just reinsert the pins in the caliper and check if they move freely by hand. They go into rubber bushings which chances are will be dried and perished preventing free movement. (Replace rubber bushings, clean pins, and reinsert them with a load of lube. Job done)

Check the rubber boot on the piston. If it's cracked, ripped or perished chances are the piston is full of crap inside and rusty, preventing free movement.

Removing/replacing the piston is a little more involved but it only takes 5 minutes. Plenty videos around or we can run you through it if you want to go that way. Only thing with that is the brake fluid will need filling, bleeding and flushing, which is not a bad thing and should be done every 2 years at most anyway. (Absorbs moisture and gest f*cked, etc) but needs a bleeder ideally (cheap).

Rebuild kits can be bought everywhere and are cheap.They can be a basic kit of just gaskets, sliding pins rubber bushings, red grease to lubricate them, caps, etc. Or you can get them with new pistons as well. These guys are the go to for kits and they also have an ebay shop https://www.biggred.co.uk/

What i do with all my cars, i buy used calipers on ebay for peanuts. Rebuild them, and then do a straight swap. And so other than not having the car unavailable while rebuilding (i take the chance to paint them) i also have a second set ready at all times.

Some cars need a piston winding tool for the rears. If you want, i got one one i've been trying to get rid of for years that you can have

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal