UKBouldering.com

Too early to ditch the snow tires in Yorkshire? (Read 4882 times)

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
The wife informed me that she's booked her car in to have her normal tires put back on this weekend.  This is our first Yorkshire winter. I think it's too early. 
(It's a 1 series BMW so is useless in the snow without them)

Dolly

• forum hero

dave

If you've got winter tyres its probably worth keeping them on while the temps are still cool, regardless of snow.

tomtom

• forum hero
S'posed to be colder next week - and sleet/snergh expected.

SamT

• forum hero

:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

Just swapped mine back yesterday - car was in for MOT anyway, so took em along so they could swap them while they had the car on the ramp etc. - save myself a little hassle.

Then I heard the forecast.   :slap:

Ho Hum - hopefully just a bit of sleet next week then back to balmy spring conditions.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Quote from: Met Office: Peak District
Saturday
Rain at all levels initially is likely to turn to snow over the summits by the middle of the day and then progressively to lower levels during the afternoon. Hill fog. Strong easterly winds will make it feel very cold at altitude as the freezing level drops to only around 400m by the end of the day.

Sunday
A drier and brighter but very cold day. The freezing level is likely to be no higher than 200m and this probably only for a short time around the middle of the day, otherwise all levels. Some sunny spells are expected but also a few snow showers, initially only light but perhaps a few locally rather heavy ones later. Strong to gale easterly winds.

Monday
Winds less strong than on Sunday but still quite a strong easterly or northeasterly. Freezing at all levels with a mixture of sunny spells and occasional snow showers.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
I can't vote because as Slackers pointed out, it's missing two options.

What Dave said.  Forget the date, keep an eye on the average temps. For Sheffield the next five days are 7,7,4,1,0. Until those are consistently in double figures keep them on. Winter tyres are better in all conditions as long as the temps are low. They are actually still better in some conditions at higher temps (damp or greasy roads, wet leaves, first rain after a dusty dry period etc). The only downside to running them all year is in high temps they will wear quicker as they are a softer compound designed to still be flexible at temps less than 10degrees.

andyd

• forum hero
 :strongbench:
Ahem :read: :clown:

Grovel sorry grovel it won't happen again grovel
I wasn't aware of that Page's existence. I'd purposely left the Anasazi bit out as I wanted to show it to the wife, who would probably discredit it with the presence of a level of humour unappreciated by herself.

Thanks for the back up. I fixed the situation by ringing the garage and cancelling. Now all I have to do is tell the wife... :spank:

andyd

• forum hero
I see. It's not a thread I have followed with much interest. Pastries heh? Which tart came up with that one?

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
also, why don't you invest in a set of cheap steel wheels and have the winter tyres fitted to these. It would be probably be cheaper than having swapped over before and after winter in just one year then your not paying out to swap over and you can do it yourself at your own convenience

SamT

• forum hero
Not sure how much steel wheels are but it Cost me 16 quid to get them swapped and ballanced, so not really too much.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
(£32/year x number of years tires last) v's cost of spare rims?

tregiffian

• stalker
  • Struggling
Some insurance companies have an unhealthy interest in what boots your motor is wearing. Apologies if I am repetitious.

runt

• obsessive maniac
Left a set of winter michelins on well into spring once and they did wear quickly on dry warmer roads, but the current nokians wra3 are miles and miles better, no excessive wear and on for over 6 months a year, awesome at resisting aquaplaning as well as mud,snow,verges, fields etc, so I'm loath to go back to summer tyres. Only benefits of the summer tyres are marginally better mpg, and slightly better handling, but given that the nokians are on 17s and have 18 summer tyres nothing to write home about. At next change of car/wheels/tyres time I'll probably just get one set of nokians and forget any summer rubber........no I don't work for them!

andyd

• forum hero
also, why don't you invest in a set of cheap steel wheels and have the winter tyres fitted to these?
Because nobody buys a BMW to have shit looking wheels on them for 5 months of the year

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Pretty glad mine are still on today.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1

SamT

• forum hero
This should be under cars cars thread....

Fuming.

In a panic I forked out 24 quid to have mine put back on at ten to five last nighy for anticipated journey to Manchester airport today.

Except we've ditched the car and are going by train at a cost of 56 quid.

Glad I booked the airport parking then!!!!

Flight better not flipping well be affected

[/fuming]

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Let me guess, the decision may not have been yours?

tomtom

• forum hero
This should be under cars cars thread....

Fuming.

In a panic I forked out 24 quid to have mine put back on at ten to five last nighy for anticipated journey to Manchester airport today.

Except we've ditched the car and are going by train at a cost of 56 quid.

Glad I booked the airport parking then!!!!

Flight better not flipping well be affected

[/fuming]

On a train journey - time to kill - wish you werent there..
Only one thing for it.

CANS

SamT

• forum hero
Cans I need vodka !!!

STILL sat on train outside Picadilly waiting for a platform. Where we are now told it will terminate

Trains trains....etc

tomtom

• forum hero
Cans I need vodka !!!

Stella. mandatory for train journeys.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#CANS

And SamT switch that bloody sig off on Taptalk (on your S3).

Sent from my desk in my office in my house.

SamT

• forum hero
Can you do that?

Sent fron seat 21d on the 1.15 to Barcelona :-)

( at frigging last)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal