UKBouldering.com

Extensive gardening at Sprotbrough (Read 5639 times)

Dolph

• player
Extensive gardening at Sprotbrough
March 12, 2013, 09:42:44 pm
I randomly found myself back down at Sprotbrough today after work. I went down really to check a potential project line on Mo's Buttress that I remembered about. I was a bit shocked by what I ended up seeing. There has been extensive stripping of ivy, tree clearance and gardening to reveal the buttresses to the right of Mo's. But most impressive of all is the landscaping on the third buttress. This involves the building of some steps up to its approach. The moving of soil and placement of tree branches to create a flat platform. But the best is the patio built on these platforms out of boulders. At first I thought it couldn't be climbers, but the traverse line above the patio had chalk on it. But I really can't see who, why or how someone would go to all that effort? (I did take a photo but I don't want to get into how to get it on here right now). I am not necessarily against that sort of think as long as it was all appropriately agreed before hand, I suppose I am just worried as I like climbing in the area and don't want it to set a bad precedence. Does anyone know any details?

a dense loner

• forum hero
No, perhaps the developer will release a guide?

Dolph

• player
Ha Ha Lee trust you to come up with a one liner! Like I said I'd like to know what's been done from a personal interest perspective. A guide detailing any agreed or tolerated access issues and stating that this sort of thing is generally not acceptable would be a good thing. As if copied in other areas it could cause massive problems.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Neve heard of the place; is it public land or what? Had your potential project line been cleaned?

masonwoods101

• forum abuser

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Ta

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Not sure exactly whereabouts the crag is in relation to the SSSI at Sprotborough but this could be an access jeopardising issue.
http://www.natureonthemap.naturalengland.org.uk/map.aspx?map=sssi&feature=1003224,sssi,HYPERLINK,LABEL

Dr Random

#8 Re: Extensive gardening at Sprotbrough
August 03, 2013, 01:12:15 am
I noticed that this site had been "developed" fairly recently when I passed last week - I was quite surprised how much work had gone into it.

This IS in the Engine Wood SSSI, I'm afraid - the work done could be considered an operation likely to damage the condition of the site and as such is illegal, unless it was with the permission of Natural England and the landowner.

The list of operations likely to damage this SSSI as given on the site citation include:
"The destruction, displacement, removal or cutting of any plant or plant remains, including tree, shrub, herb, hedge, dead or decaying wood, moss, lichen, fungus, leaf-mould and turf"

Unless this really was done with permission, I doubt the BMC would be impressed - this is exactly the kind of thing that gets access stopped, and none of us want that, however few crags there might be in the Doncaster area...

TonyS

• regular
#9 Re: Extensive gardening at Sprotbrough
August 03, 2013, 11:35:05 am
Have visited on more than one occasion with Dolph over he last few months we did actually bump into one solatory local climber. 
When asked if he knew anything about th clearance and ground works, he informed us it has been done by the local council with a view to local schools etc using it as an outdoor activity site. 
All above board but could do with a few bolts and belays adding and would make a great low grade sports venue if anyone is interested.  :)

Dr Random

Thanks, that's good to know - no problems then - though I do wonder if the council got permission!

Some bolts would be good, I agree, though the usual problems of maintenance/liability might apply if it is a council "facility".

Dr Random

#11 Re: Extensive gardening at Sprotbrough
October 17, 2013, 05:51:44 pm
I've been a meeting at which Natural England and Doncaster Council were represented, at which this site was discussed, and can confirm that this work was not approved by the council nor was it approved by Natural England.

It is still unclear exactly who was responsible.

As well as the wood being a biological SSSI, the cliff is also apparently a geological SSSI, so I would suggest that bolting is a big no-no.  Best stick to low-key bouldering to avoid getting climbing banned...
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 06:22:16 pm by Dr Random »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal