UKBouldering.com

London (Read 21035 times)

crimp

#50 Re: London
May 11, 2013, 09:33:14 am
In the 5 years i spent in that London, the only stranger who spoke to me on public transport threatened to kill me.

And those bromptons are a fecking nightmare. Always some suited punter on bus or tube carrying their fold up bike and obliviously taking painful dints out of everyone else's shins. If you want to cycle to work, buy a real bike, and ride to work properly
 ;)

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#51 Re: London
May 11, 2013, 10:23:09 am

She only started talking to you because the guy in 50's specs on her other side was boring her to tears about his Brompton ;)

:lol:  :-[

Durbs

• forum hero
#52 Re: London
May 12, 2013, 01:11:26 am
Where in London have you landed?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#53 Re: London
May 13, 2013, 10:01:30 am
And those bromptons are a fecking nightmare. Always some suited punter on bus or tube carrying their fold up bike and obliviously taking painful dints out of everyone else's shins. If you want to cycle to work, buy a real bike, and ride to work properly

That's telling you Falling Down.

galpinos

• forum hero
#54 Re: London
May 13, 2013, 10:16:57 am

That's telling you Falling Down.

Ha Ha! First the football, now you're not allowed your Brompton! Not a good weekend.....

(I'm still smiling at "suited punter")

crimp

#55 Re: London
May 13, 2013, 10:38:00 am
That wasn't a dig at falling down.

Just a general London transport observation on the cult of the brompton.

I've got a chipped shin bone thanks to some careless, folding bike wielding, suit on the northern line. 

SA Chris

• forum hero
#56 Re: London
May 13, 2013, 11:09:29 am
At least you know how to back pedal.

crimp

#57 Re: London
May 13, 2013, 11:21:27 am
I wasn't cross-bar the shin dent.

(Are we starting on bike puns today)

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#58 Re: London
May 13, 2013, 12:38:21 pm
Just spent a weekend staying with a friend who lives pretty much next door to The Castle. I think I counted more people doing yoga at one point than people climbing which made me chortle. I can certifiably say that if I did move to London, I would give up climbing completely since three sessions = one Maserati.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#59 Re: London
May 13, 2013, 01:00:59 pm

No, you just did a major back-pdeal there.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#60 Re: London
May 13, 2013, 01:01:38 pm
Just spent a weekend staying with a friend who lives pretty much next door to The Castle. I think I counted more people doing yoga at one point than people climbing which made me chortle.

I think Lund was one of them.

crimp

#61 Re: London
May 13, 2013, 01:17:03 pm

No, you just did a major back-pdeal there.

nothing to back pedal from. It was a wry general observation, rooted in personal experience of living in central London. People were misconstruing my remark as being targeted at falling down. They weren't.

That's called clarifying, not back peddaling. Back pedalling would be to renounce or retract, or distance myself, from what i said. Which i haven't.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#62 Re: London
May 13, 2013, 02:06:01 pm
I think I counted more people doing yoga at one point than people climbing which made me chortle.

My local bouldering wall tends to have a particular corner full of people doing stretches, core exercises etc. Personally I prefer to do these in the privacy of my own home, but if others like to do them in a more social setting that's their choice I suppose.

Except when they choose to do them right underneath the spot on the steep circuit wall where I expect to be falling off. At one point recently I got so fed up with politely asking people to move that I decided to just land on the f*ckers instead, but sadly they realised their peril and got out of the way just before my forearms gave out.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#63 Re: London
May 13, 2013, 02:15:19 pm
nothing to back pedal from. It was a wry general observation, rooted in personal experience of living in central London. People were misconstruing my remark as being targeted at falling down. They weren't.

That's called clarifying, not back peddaling. Back pedalling would be to renounce or retract, or distance myself, from what i said. Which i haven't.

Whatever. It was meant as a joke, and a feeble pun. You and slackers would get on great.

Wipey Why

• forum hero
#64 Re: London
May 13, 2013, 02:18:20 pm
Where in London have you landed?

I'm starting early June and will be crashing with some mates in Peckham until I get myself sorted.

crimp

#65 Re: London
May 13, 2013, 02:32:51 pm

Whatever. It was meant as a joke, and a feeble pun. You and slackers would get on great.

We do. Slackers is a decent fella. So I'll take that as a compliment.

Lund

• obsessive maniac
#66 Re: London
May 13, 2013, 02:42:37 pm
Just spent a weekend staying with a friend who lives pretty much next door to The Castle. I think I counted more people doing yoga at one point than people climbing which made me chortle.

I think Lund was one of them.

I'm good with this shit now.  It's even got to the point where I can't climb unless there's a bird putting her ankle behind her ear next to my belayer.

(Obviously this is a joke.  Tie-on?  Having a laugh mate.)

Wipey Why

• forum hero
#67 Re: London
May 14, 2013, 10:13:07 am
It's even got to the point where I can't climb unless there's a bird putting her ankle behind her ear next to my belayer.

Interesting  :-\

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#68 Re: London
May 14, 2013, 05:07:03 pm
Nibile, you would love London walls ; )

I'm all for stretching, yoga, pilates etc but I can't see the need to pay a small fortune to practice it less the expertise of an instructor to further your practice. London walls are good fun - one of the few places on earth where you'll see a wolf vest and pencil moustache worn without a hint of irony.

JohnM

• junky
#69 Re: London
May 14, 2013, 05:33:34 pm
I think it's worth noting Tom that if you actually live here you'd buy a 6 month pass.  I pay 180 for a 6 month pass to the Biscuit Factory which works out less than 4 pounds a session.  It's really good for training and opens at 6am with free coffee for pre work sessions.  Also, people doing yoga are kept out of sight up on a mezzanine!

tomtom

• forum hero
#70 Re: London
May 14, 2013, 06:16:01 pm
Speaking of £££ when I went to "the Spot" in Boulder - it was $17... the other gym in town was $18....
Recon we might have it cheap here in the UK...

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#71 Re: London
May 14, 2013, 06:37:33 pm
I was bouldering at the Westway a couple of months back and counted three of us climbing and over ten stretching and doing yoga by the mats. 

Adge - Last week I cycled my Brompton after work to Sloane Square, had two gin and tonics then went to see Charles Moore talk about his biography of Thatcher and chatted to Fraser Nelson at the bar.   ;)

crimp

#72 Re: London
May 14, 2013, 06:50:11 pm

Adge - Last week I cycled my Brompton after work to Sloane Square, had two gin and tonics then went to see Charles Moore talk about his biography of Thatcher and chatted to Fraser Nelson at the bar.   ;)

living the dream there bud, living the dream.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#73 Re: London
May 15, 2013, 02:47:58 pm
Nibile, you would love London walls ; )
You shall have no other wall before me.

image by Nibile, on Flickr

i.munro

• junky
#74 Re: London
May 15, 2013, 06:46:53 pm
Useful stuff for taking the pain out of being a climber in London (in my experience)

1) Flexitime
 - getting a train at 4:50  on a nice evening to sandstone = very pleasant.
- try the same thing at 5:10 & it's an Hour wedged against a door in 60 deg heat (not a good start to a sesh).
Also during the day you have a good choice of ok-ish walls (evenings they're basically unusable IMO unless you have a LOT of very scary mates)

2) Mates/family who work at Eurostar.
I used to be able to get affordable tickets this way. Leave work at 5.0 (provided somebody can take your crash pad to St Pancras for you ) & finish the evening with a beer in Fontainebleau. Magic.

If you can't get  1) I suggest developing as scary a persona as you can. Demented ravings & strong body odour may help to get you some space in both situations. If you can't manage 2) then I can only suggest unlimited earnings (y'know Tory MP or major drug dealer territory. It doesn't help that Sterling is basically worthless in France now )

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal