UKBouldering.com

Avoid Wilton 1 Graveyard area (Read 7623 times)

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
Avoid Wilton 1 Graveyard area
March 11, 2013, 09:56:08 am
There are reports of a peregrine nesting on a ledge in the Graveyard area - not sure as to the accuracy of this yet, but for the time being can people avoid the 'classic' Lancashire test-pieces in the Graveyard area.
not that I've ever queued for routes to be fair...
I'll be checking it out over the next couple of days.
Cheers
RG

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
#1 Re: Avoid Wilton 1 Graveyard area
June 13, 2013, 12:28:10 am
If you're visiting Wilton 1 please be aware that the peregrine is nesting above Frightful Fred.

One of the pair has been shot and killed, if anyone knows anything more about this please contact the BMC or myself. As a consequence it seems the remaining bird is very twitchy and gets spooked when anyone enters the quarry so please bear this in mind if going there.

Also there have been off road bikers recently in the quarry which have upset the birds, if anyone sees any off-roaders can you please note reg. numbers and contact me.

The birds are being monitored but the way things are going it'll be a miracle if they fledge.

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#2 Re: Avoid Wilton 1 Graveyard area
June 13, 2013, 12:46:23 am
fuck me  :(

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#3 Re: Avoid Wilton 1 Graveyard area
June 13, 2013, 01:59:37 am
Bugger. Sad.

Was climbing at the other end of Wilton just last week and saw one of the peregrines flying. Fingers crossed the littluns pull through.

Baldy

• obsessive maniac
  • Low Bawler
    • CBclimbing
#4 Re: Avoid Wilton 1 Graveyard area
June 13, 2013, 09:05:21 am
Why would you shoot a Peregrine?

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#5 Avoid Wilton 1 Graveyard area
June 13, 2013, 09:14:55 am
Gamekeeper? "Protecting" their Grouse/Pheasant chicks, for wealthy morons to shoot at; because "hunting" makes them feel so macho?

crimp

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#7 Re: Avoid Wilton 1 Graveyard area
June 13, 2013, 09:49:09 am
What a fucking disgrace.

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
#8 Re: Avoid Wilton 1 Graveyard area
June 13, 2013, 09:52:48 am
No idea why anyone would want to harm them. I'm not aware of any pheasant rearing in the immediate vicinity. I do know the gun club shoots in W2/3/4.
Not saying it's one of them, but non-gun club people have been known to illegally shoot in the ranges.
If anyone was in the vicinity recently and saw anything suspicious, please let me know.

It might be best to avoid the quarry altogether for the next few weeks, the remaining bird goes nuts if anyone goes in the quarry from any entrance.

crimp

#9 Re: Avoid Wilton 1 Graveyard area
June 13, 2013, 09:57:23 am
I agree, best avoided for climbing completely.

Has anyone informed the Hawk and Owl Trust? Someone needs to monitor the situation closely.

Sorry. Just realised you already said its being monitored
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 10:07:18 am by Adge »

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#10 Re: Avoid Wilton 1 Graveyard area
June 13, 2013, 10:16:55 am
Never heard of so much Peregrine persecution as this year. It would suggest to me that the government's licensing of the destruction of Buzzard nests has sent out a certain message to certain members of the community. As I mentioned on another thread, I was told that in a recent prosecution of a guy stealing Peregrine chicks for sale to falconers, he was given 20 hours community service. Not much of a deterrent.

andy_e

• forum hero
#11 Re: Avoid Wilton 1 Graveyard area
June 13, 2013, 10:20:21 am
He was given twenty hours community service and a slap on the back from Richard Benyon, and will be invited around to their next shooting party.

crimp

#12 Re: Avoid Wilton 1 Graveyard area
June 13, 2013, 10:26:24 am
Never heard of so much Peregrine persecution as this year. It would suggest to me that the government's licensing of the destruction of Buzzard nests has sent out a certain message to certain members of the community. As I mentioned on another thread, I was told that in a recent prosecution of a guy stealing Peregrine chicks for sale to falconers, he was given 20 hours community service. Not much of a deterrent.

this govt, DEFRA, and unnatural England, are a total fucking disgrace when it comes to wildlife. Voted against bees, killing badgers, rare buzzards and gulls for their shooting estates, and wanting to reintroduce fox hunting.

Even mild mannered Bill Oddie called environment minister Owen Paterson a cunt in the house of commons.

tomtom

• forum hero
#13 Re: Avoid Wilton 1 Graveyard area
June 13, 2013, 11:36:38 am

this govt, DEFRA, and unnatural England, are a total fucking disgrace when it comes to wildlife. Voted against bees, killing badgers, rare buzzards and gulls for their shooting estates, and wanting to reintroduce fox hunting.

Even mild mannered Bill Oddie called environment minister Owen Paterson a cunt in the house of commons.

Richard Benyon and Owen Paterson are the reasons why.. watch DEFRA and NatEng (who the EA may merge with - oh what a good idea..) turn into custodians of the countryside who are more interested in preserving our very un-natural ways of managing the landscape (ie via agriculture..)

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#14 Re: Avoid Wilton 1 Graveyard area
June 13, 2013, 11:46:42 am
I wouldn't call a shooting estate 'agriculture' personally.

tomtom

• forum hero
#15 Re: Avoid Wilton 1 Graveyard area
June 13, 2013, 12:01:13 pm
I wouldn't call a shooting estate 'agriculture' personally.

Yeah - it tends to conjure up images of tractors and hay bales to many.. But I'm in academic mode...

Quote from Wikibollocks:
"Agriculture, also called farming or husbandry, is the cultivation of animals, plants, fungi, and other life forms for food, fiber, biofuel, drugs and other products used to sustain and enhance human life."

90% of our fair isle should be forests of varying types... tree clearance, agriculture, grazing, burning heather for grouse etc.. all examples of Humans dicking about with it for their own benefit..

crimp

#16 Re: Avoid Wilton 1 Graveyard area
June 13, 2013, 12:14:41 pm
And they've got their eton pal Boris whipping up groundless urban fox anxiety and saying we need to cull them to save our babies. Which is a crock of shit to soften people up for a repeal of the hunting act.

There are govt epetitions we can all sign against badger cull, buzzard cull, and urban fox cull. I have. And visit Hunt Saboteurs Association website for more direct action.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#17 Re: Avoid Wilton 1 Graveyard area
June 13, 2013, 12:42:58 pm
other products used to sustain and enhance human life

So, in this case, a 'product' used to enhance a tiny minority of human lives. Whilst diminishing the many others. Stretching the definition, imho. I'd call it a largely damaging form of land use.

r-man

• forum hero
#18 Re: Avoid Wilton 1 Graveyard area
June 13, 2013, 12:44:50 pm
It might be best to avoid the quarry altogether for the next few weeks, the remaining bird goes nuts if anyone goes in the quarry from any entrance.

Good idea. Have you posted this on the other channel?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 12:55:21 pm by r-man »

crimp

#19 Re: Avoid Wilton 1 Graveyard area
June 13, 2013, 02:27:41 pm

r-man

• forum hero
#20 Re: Avoid Wilton 1 Graveyard area
June 19, 2013, 06:06:14 pm
Updated news from Rob Dyer, posted on ukc:

The birds are still there and the chicks haven't yet fledged yet due to the eggs hatching later than expected. I've updated the RAD with later dates lasting until 14th July, which is the best guess on when the chicks are likely to fledge, but if they go earlier the restriction will be lifted. I'm stuck in London at meetings until Friday but plan to head up and swap the on site signs over that morning. In the meantime, Rob Archer from the Manchester Raptor Group is going to temporarily change the dates with a marker pen until they can be swapped. Thanks for the reminder!

Cheers,
 Rob Dyer
 BMC Access & Conservation Officer

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
#21 Re: Avoid Wilton 1 Graveyard area
June 19, 2013, 11:22:19 pm
Cheers for posting robin, in fact the information on the shot bird which came from the guys observing was in fact wrong information which is great news. I went down last Thursday to check and they're both definitely still there although the female did spend a night away from the nest which is highly unusual. I guess they put two and two together...
anyway best to stay away for the time being as they still get spooked.
 :)

crimp

#22 Re: Avoid Wilton 1 Graveyard area
June 19, 2013, 11:57:02 pm
 :2thumbsup:

crimp

r-man

• forum hero
#24 Re: Avoid Wilton 1 Graveyard area
June 20, 2013, 10:38:17 am
That is good news.

RAD has been updated, but this section has not:
The birds will be monitored regularly and the restriction lifted as soon as the young fledge or if the nest is unsucessful. The current estimate on a datre for the young birds fledging is 15th June, however it's likely that this will change and the restriction be lifted earlier so keep checking this page for updates.

Hopefully it won't confuse people.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal