UKBouldering.com

Castle Hill, NZ (Read 2563 times)

JackAus

• junky
Castle Hill, NZ
April 03, 2013, 03:20:20 am
Anyone been to Castle Hill around September?

Thinking of heading over for 10ish days mid Sept.

castlehillbasin.co.nz

jern

• menacing presence
#1 Re: Castle Hill, NZ
April 03, 2013, 09:45:24 am
Mid September should be okay, temprrature-wise. You have to take your chance with the rain, but the basin is surprisingly dry. I'very only been rained off there once in the last year.

Check the Castle Hill webcam if you're not staying locally - its seed me few wasted trips
Anything else you need to know?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2 Re: Castle Hill, NZ
April 03, 2013, 10:28:52 am
Enjoy it. It's ace. Expect some polish on the easier stuff at Quantum Fields but V4 and up isn't too bad. Expect slopey weirdness, work on mantels and triceps before you go.

I'm gutted I never made it to Flock Hill looks great too. Awesome pies from bakery in Springfield.

JackAus

• junky
#3 Re: Castle Hill, NZ
April 05, 2013, 12:25:26 am
Cheers guys. Exactly what I was hoping with the temps/rain...

Will probably have a bunch more questions when/if I get around to booking something but current plan is to hire a camper from Christchurch. Pretty cheap.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#4 Re: Castle Hill, NZ
April 05, 2013, 09:19:57 am
That's what we did. If you get a tarp and some gaffer tape the mattresses can be folded up into a makeshift bouldering mat. Not ideal but better than nothing.

A few folk from in here have been, but I think they are on hols.

JackAus

• junky
#5 Re: Castle Hill, NZ
April 05, 2013, 10:05:40 am
If you get a tarp and some gaffer tape the mattresses can be folded up into a makeshift bouldering mat. Not ideal but better than nothing.

:lol:

Was planing taking a pad with me...   ;)

SA Chris

• forum hero
#6 Re: Castle Hill, NZ
April 05, 2013, 10:40:18 am
Bit tricky from the UK, and cost loads to hire in CC. Was OK most of the time, but I think I got really sketched out on Lung Arete and looked down and it looked like a stamp, and my 5ft nothing spotter didn't really inspire confidence. Luckily I manned up and pressed on.

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#7 Re: Castle Hill, NZ
April 05, 2013, 12:54:14 pm
There are places nearby (ish) that you can hire pads from if you're interested. I hired one from the Hotel and Backpackers in Springfield which wasnt that expensive also Smylies in Springfield hires them out. They do a discount for multiple days as well.
I stayed at the very cheap DOC campsite here:
http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-stay/conservation-campsites-by-region/canterbury/north-canterbury-and-arthurs-pass/craigieburn-shelter/
there were lots of climbers, psyche and frisbee happening which was fine by me.
If you are hiring a van then it could be a good option.
There's also a place down the road (flock hill lodge??) where you can stay and maybe camp (not sure about vans) which has showers and basic restaurant/bar is you cant be arsed to cook. You can walk to this from the campsite to eat and pay for a shower as well if you wanted to do a bit of both.
The only other thing I would say is take lots of the things that you might run out of - chalk, climbing boots etc. CC is a very long drive away!!
What sort of grade are you looking to climb when out there? I'm sure lots of peeps on here could recommend some good stuff. Like Chris said Flock Hill is well good, you do need to fill a form in to go there and take it with you so worth looking into that before you go - its privately owned or something. From personal experience I wouldnt recommend walking up there in the midday sun with a hangover.... Some popular stuff is a bit polished but a lot isnt. Even the stuff higher up on Splittle Hill is in very good nick considering its close proximity to the road.
After Fontainebleau its the best place I've been to go bouldering so you'll have a blast.

JackAus

• junky
#8 Re: Castle Hill, NZ
April 05, 2013, 03:44:04 pm
That is a quality reply. Thanks!

Thought I read somewhere that the farmer sold Flock Hill to the national parks or something...
Grades, should be looking at V7s and V6s and any dynos... ;D Got my eye on a couple of problems but not many...

derekthatcher

#9 Re: Castle Hill, NZ
April 18, 2013, 10:29:15 am
The weather in september can be stunning.
Flock Hill has not been sold, you still need to fill in the form at the Lodge or via email: http://castlehillbasin.co.nz/flockhillsafetynotice

If yo make an account on castlehillbasin.co.nz you get access to a bunch more info and maps. Happy to answer any questions you may have.

JackAus

• junky
#10 Re: Castle Hill, NZ
April 18, 2013, 02:21:43 pm
Ha, your username has only just registered to me. I'm actually in the middle of watching all your videos... :D
You've put up some amazing problems there. Top out on Weapon Omega just looks heinous...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal