UKBouldering.com

Countdown to Olympic decision on climbing (Read 36046 times)

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
Squash has never been in but has been on the short list twice

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I knew it had been in something. Should have a two strikes and out policy!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Squash is rubbish as a spectator sport, you can't see where the ball is cos they hit it so hard. Remeber seeing a bit on tv years ago and switching it off pretty quickly.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
Article about the coming decision

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/olympics/wrestling-ioc-presidential-race-and-2020-bids-all-on-show-at-st-petersburg-meetings/2013/05/27/1aa4a77a-c69c-11e2-9cd9-3b9a22a4000a_story.html

The sports will make closed-door presentations to the IOC board, during which the delegations will hope to impress the judges with home-made cakes. Roller sports are rumoured to be deploying naked ladies (with tasty buns).

Squash and karate have been cited as other leading contenders, but everyone knows the reason they have been kept out of the Olympics for over a century is because they are flippin boring

Wrestling, a sport with a tradition dating back to the ancient Olympics, has gone through a major upheaval since it was dropped by the IOC in February....
“The federation definitely understood the reasons why they were ousted and they reacted well,” Rogge said. "They have been dieting and eating lots of salads. They know we are taking this very seriously, and we refuse to allow athletes with muffin tops into the olympics."

Lund

• obsessive maniac
This may have been discussed ad nauseum at local meetings but I don’t feel there has been any real consultation by the BMC.  Perhaps that’s deliberate?  This isn’t 1982 and other forms of consultation should have been used.  I never know what my local  meeting will be discussing (example) and I’m not going to attend if the agenda is not available in advance: I might have to sit through a two hour of discussion on brush clearing at Harrison’s and I get quite enough of that kind of thing at work already.

Duncan, your next area meeting is June the 5th, at the Alpine Club.  Can I assume you're going to turn up?

Area meetings are ineffective if people can't be bothered.  Just like ever other democracy, they require participation.

There will definitely NOT be a two hour discussion about brush clearing at Harrison's.  Why you would assume that I don't know.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
Not in.  For one, I am pleased.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2013/05/29/sp-ioc-meetings-russia-sochi-2020-olympics-wrestling-sports.html

As long as the world cups continue, I'm not too fussed about climbing's inclusion in a quadrennial event. Though I would have preferred to watch it instead of yawning at squash, wrestling or baseball. And it's a shame for the climbers that most of them don't earn much money.

On a different topic, I don't really understand why Basketball, Football or Tennis are still there. The Olympics should be the pinnacle of sporting achievement, and for these sports it's a just pleasant sideshow.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
+2 (did I get that right?)

willackers

• junky
    • Vimeo

:agree:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Don't mind that climbing isn't in but Baseball?! BASEBALL?! Apart from Japan is it actually played anywhere but the USA?

Oh yeah, it is but it's called rounders and is a kid's game that you stop playing once you're old enough to learn to bat and bowl properly or you play for a laugh when you're pissed.

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
:agree: blimey i agree with gcw things are going downhill...

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Don't mind that climbing isn't in but Baseball?! BASEBALL?! Apart from Japan is it actually played anywhere but the USA?

Big all over the far east and south america i think. Needs beer to be made interesting.

Still indifferent on climbing though.

dave

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
Mixed feelings, here.

Seems all those sub 30 yo, of my acquaintance are disappointed. Those older, pleased.

A few months ago, I'd have been firmly in the pleased camp.

Now.......?

andy_e

• forum hero

ianv

• forum abuser
Personally I am disappointed.

Being an Olympic sport would have injected a fair bit of money into the sport and allowed the better competitors to concentrate on training and progressing standards. It don't think it would have had any effect on the how the majority enjoy their sport but it would have been a massive benefit to those who chose to climb full time and were good, they could have made a  living out of what they love doing rather than scratching around skint.

Who would turn down the opportunity to make a living from climbing if they had the chance? Now the opportunity to do this is much less than it could have been (for some).

a dense loner

• forum hero

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
Just been re-reading this in context of the BMC Peak Area meeting last week. Neil as chair made the valid point that despite broad support in area meets and national council when this was discussed a few years back, that if we were looking for support for a new bid now, things might even go the other way. Johnny Brown is wrong (for once!) in his recall of the Peak Area meet as someone turned up almost every time it was discussed to say why the Olympic support was wrong (might have been Ivan, if it wasnt him, he was for it and another guy from one of the big clubs was against). Personally I'm surprised that more like Bonjoy hadn't deleted the pain and tedium from their memory banks; I remembered as much as I did as it became interesting black comedy with beer goggles.

philo

• forum hero
Personally I am disappointed.

Being an Olympic sport would have injected a fair bit of money into the sport and allowed the better competitors to concentrate on training and progressing standards. It don't think it would have had any effect on the how the majority enjoy their sport but it would have been a massive benefit to those who chose to climb full time and were good, they could have made a  living out of what they love doing rather than scratching around skint.

Who would turn down the opportunity to make a living from climbing if they had the chance? Now the opportunity to do this is much less than it could have been (for some).

I am sorry but who cares about injecting money into the sport?  Like all sports with limited resources you do not want it popular or publicizing.  Climbing, Surfing and other sports that are not crowd friendly should be as far away from the public eye as it can be.  That may come across as extremely selfish but the only people who would benefit are the companies and one or two individuals, fuck that

granticus

• forum abuser
Climbing, Surfing and other sports that are not crowd friendly
  ::)

It's a double edged sword no doubt.  However, without the individuals or the companies you refer to, you would be climbing in home made shoes and kit.  My assumption is.. that you don't climb in plimsolls, your chalk bag isn't homemade, you didn't machine your own gear and your chalk wasn't quarried by your own fair hand.  ie. You've already helped to benefit the companies and individuals you refer to. 

Don't see why you would begrudge anyone willing to form a company to manufacture the goods you benefit from, especially if that company trades ethically and feeds back into the climbing community.

philo

• forum hero
double edged sword you are right but the products you refer to are part of capitalism where people buy things that will benefit them and thus putting money into the company that way.  If it wasn't worth buying then people wouldn't buy it - I have no problem with people investing money and time on good ideas but any sort of traffic or public interest is bad for the punters

crimp

Does any of this matter anymore?

It was a shit idea, and was rightly shot down as piss poor.

More important, let's have a UKB Bristol chapter piss up. Anyone else, or just me?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
double edged sword you are right but the products you refer to are part of capitalism where people buy things that will benefit them and thus putting money into the company that way.  If it wasn't worth buying then people wouldn't buy it - I have no problem with people investing money and time on good ideas but any sort of traffic or public interest is bad for the punters

Are you still swinging that self contradictory libertarian sword or not? Reason I can't tell is probably cos you are, or aren't.

philo

• forum hero
left on war, right on money

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal