UKBouldering.com

Scarpa Instinct VS (Read 25746 times)

cha1n

• forum hero
Scarpa Instinct VS
February 21, 2013, 06:36:38 pm
Anyone have a broken in pair of these yet? My Jet7's are getting thinner and thinner and would like an equivalent replacement. I tried these on last week and thought they seemed a little stiff for my liking but liked all other aspects (amazing at toehooking, decent heel, etc).

I had to ditch the instinct laces because they didn't seem to be softening up but have heard that these are a bit softer, though I thought they seemed similar in stiffness. Thoughts please!

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#1 Re: Scarpa Instinct VS
February 21, 2013, 07:00:08 pm
Worn mine for 5 sessions indoors so far and they have definitely softened a tad and become a lot more comfortable (i.e. not cramping the arch of the foot with the tension). Still, it's hard to tell how they will feel until I get to use them on some rock in anger!

Hopefully they will feel as good as the dragons and teams do on slightly overhanging rock as they are fucking boss in roofs for heel and toe trickery.

cha1n

• forum hero
#2 Re: Scarpa Instinct VS
February 21, 2013, 07:42:20 pm
Thanks for the reply.

How you you compare stiffness to your dragons? I know they're nowhere near as soft as teams.

I was sat bending the forefoot with my hands and then a new pair of dragons and they definitely felt stiffer than the dragons. I always thought my Talons were crazy stiff but the instinct vs felt on a par. Might try some on again tomorrow and decide whether to give them a go or not!

Paul B

• forum hero
#3 Re: Scarpa Instinct VS
February 21, 2013, 09:35:54 pm
Hopefully they will feel as good as the dragons and teams do on slightly overhanging rock as they are fucking boss in roofs for heel and toe trickery.

Well I'm about 10 sessions in and they haven't softened one bit in my opinion (I didn't have any cramping to begin with).

They're a fantastic fit and a great heel but there's just absolutely zero sensitivity and I find my feet popping off things rather unexpectedly. They're not dragons. I'm repeatedly told they look great, if that's your thing.

cha1n

• forum hero
#4 Re: Scarpa Instinct VS
February 21, 2013, 09:45:33 pm
Hmm, that's what I found with my instinct laces, they just stayed too stiff. Have you felt the boosters? They're stiff as boards, I have no idea who'd wear a shoe that stiff - obviously someone who never has to smear!

Well seeing as you guys have already taken the plunge, I'll hold out to see how you two get on. Good luck!

andybfreeman

• menacing presence
#5 Re: Scarpa Instinct VS
February 21, 2013, 10:25:08 pm
They're a fantastic fit and a great an ok heel but there's just absolutely zero sensitivity and I find my feet popping off things rather unexpectedly

That summed up my booster experience!

Maybe the slippers are a better bet after all?

thrashhard

• player
#6 Re: Scarpa Instinct VS
February 22, 2013, 08:42:22 am
I think the Instict VS wonīt get soft enough for people who think the booster is a stiff shoe.
According to the Scarpa US-Site the VS has the same midsole as the Instinct LU and Vapors (which is not the same as the Slipper) and it has XS Edge Rubber instead of the XS Grip2 of the LU.
So it looks like the Instinct VS is (and will stay) stiffer than both other Instincts.
i.e. the combination of the Flexan midsole and XS Edge Rubber is the same as on the Vapor Lace ups and those are stiff as hell. Thatīs what i love about them since they are the best "tinypocket-35m-route-shoes" iīve ever had but i canīt see any use for such a stiff bouldering shoe.
Anyway since the new Vapor Vīs are nowadays also made of XS Edge instead of Grip2 it looks like Scarpa somehow hates the XS Grip2 rubber and is switching to Xs Edge?

turnipturned

• forum abuser
#7 Re: Scarpa Instinct VS
February 22, 2013, 09:25:08 am
There are ace. Used them a lot on rock now. Best boot scarpa have made. They have also sorted out the heel tab with a rand that goes over the back of the boot so the heel doesnt fall to bits like the instinct slippers and laces. I recommend highly!

T_B

• forum hero
#8 Re: Scarpa Instinct VS
February 22, 2013, 11:42:41 am
Hmm, that's what I found with my instinct laces, they just stayed too stiff. Have you felt the boosters? They're stiff as boards, I have no idea who'd wear a shoe that stiff - obviously someone who never has to smear!

I absolutely love the Instincts (on my 3rd pair and have had a pair re-soled by Llanberis Resoles). But I do wonder whether they are a 'big mans' shoe? I am big and heavy and think they're brilliant on slabs  :???:

abarro81

• forum hero
#9 Re: Scarpa Instinct VS
February 22, 2013, 11:56:21 am
I am also bigtall and also love my instinct laces..

cha1n

• forum hero
#10 Re: Scarpa Instinct VS
February 22, 2013, 01:01:44 pm
Whoops, typo there. I meant the Boostics were stiff, not the boosters. I didn't mind the boosters, they were just the wrong shape for my feet. Well, they were twisted the wrong way, they twist torsionally towards the outside edge, whereas I prefer shoes which twist towards the inside edge (e.g. dragons).

Regarding the instincts, it may just be my preference. I think that once you get used to a reasonably soft shoe, it's hard to go back to stiffer lasts. I'm not exactly small, 6'1 and nearly 80kg!

ShortRound

• addict
#11 Re: Scarpa Instinct VS
February 22, 2013, 01:05:57 pm

I'm a short scrawny fucker and I love the instinct lace ups. I use them pretty exclusively for limestone sport.

thrashhard

• player
#12 Re: Scarpa Instinct VS
February 22, 2013, 08:28:46 pm
Whoops, typo there. I meant the Boostics were stiff, not the boosters. I didn't mind the boosters, they were just the wrong shape for my feet. Well, they were twisted the wrong way, they twist torsionally towards the outside edge, whereas I prefer shoes which twist towards the inside edge (e.g. dragons).

Regarding the instincts, it may just be my preference. I think that once you get used to a reasonably soft shoe, it's hard to go back to stiffer lasts. I'm not exactly small, 6'1 and nearly 80kg!

yeah that makes more sence than boosters.
I never had the boosters myself. only rockettes and magos since they both have a better fitting heel than the booster.

cha1n

• forum hero
#13 Re: Scarpa Instinct VS
March 01, 2013, 01:11:59 pm
Any news on breaking these in? Softened up?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#14 Re: Scarpa Instinct VS
March 01, 2013, 01:17:13 pm

Review

Paul B

• forum hero
#15 Re: Scarpa Instinct VS
March 01, 2013, 01:38:30 pm

you're pretty keen aren't you?

I used them on routes for the first time this week (i.e. mainly edging) and they seemed a whole world better and the lack of sensitivity on smaller holds seemed less of an issue.

Unfortunately I've also found that the toe-hooking rubber is threatening to start to peel on one shoe.

abarro81

• forum hero
#16 Re: Scarpa Instinct VS
March 01, 2013, 01:42:44 pm
Unfortunately I've also found that the toe-hooking rubber is threatening to start to peel on one shoe.

That's a pity, I was kinda hoping these would be better for that than the lace-ups where you get about 3 goes on a big toe hook before the upper section starts to rip off.

Paul B

• forum hero
#17 Re: Scarpa Instinct VS
March 01, 2013, 01:51:22 pm
That's a pity, I was kinda hoping these would be better for that than the lace-ups where you get about 3 goes on a big toe hook before the upper section starts to rip off.

We'll see, I'll show you at the wall at some point.

cha1n

• forum hero
#18 Re: Scarpa Instinct VS
March 01, 2013, 02:27:14 pm
Haha, yeah pretty keen. Knowing that my Jet 7's are almost wrecked has been niggling at the back of my mind for a while now. I guess I'll give the resole guy a try but the uppers themselves are in poor condition.

Also, I don't need a shoe for routes as I'm pretty happy with my dragons but might give the instinct vs a whirl when my dragons die. When I tried the VS out at the works I thought they toehooked excellently, better than any other shoe I've tried (and I've tried a LOT of shoes).

abarro81

• forum hero
#19 Re: Scarpa Instinct VS
March 01, 2013, 02:39:21 pm
I like the sounds of that. I freaking love toe hooks.

turnipturned

• forum abuser
#20 Re: Scarpa Instinct VS
March 01, 2013, 03:03:07 pm

I wore them once at the wall and then they felt perfect!

I have had mine for 3/4 weeks now, done a variety different styles of problems in them. Heels feel good and tight with out being mad painful, toe hooking is good, build quality is great a lot better than other scarpa's and five ten's (just to put it into perspective I went through 10 pairs of boots last year and by now these boots would be kinda on the way out, still look brand new). They are not great for smearing or standing on shiny pebbles though!

Heard they are prefect boot for Pilgrimage and kneebar's- true story bro!

Paul B

• forum hero
#21 Re: Scarpa Instinct VS
March 01, 2013, 05:02:46 pm
10 pairs of shoes in a year?

Stubbs

#22 Re: Scarpa Instinct VS
March 01, 2013, 06:08:55 pm
Turnip is like a walking test-to-destruction laboratory: shoes, clothes, mats, nothing is safe!

thrashhard

• player
#23 Re: Scarpa Instinct VS
March 02, 2013, 09:30:44 am
i have to admit that since all the the italian brands are using those new vibram rubbers i also never had a pair that lasted longer that 1,5 month.
first i thought itīs the poor la sportiva quality but it is the same with scarpas. The new rubbers donīt last as long as the old xs grip
and not half as long as stealth rubber.
thats one more reason for me not to buy any of the instincts. 3mm instead of 4mm rubber shortens the lifespan a lot.
at least the scarpa shoes are built massive enough to get them resoled at least 3 times.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#24 Re: Scarpa Instinct VS
March 02, 2013, 09:39:09 am
i have to admit that since all the the italian brands are using those new vibram rubbers i also never had a pair that lasted longer that 1,5 month.

Built-in obsolescence?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal