UKBouldering.com

fingerboard fixings (Read 8812 times)

crimp

fingerboard fixings
February 18, 2013, 05:09:44 pm
Now then.

I am fixing some boards above a door for fixing my home made skip scavenged wood fingerboard bits and bobs too.

I was going to put the boards up with them brown 7mm rawl plugs. However, an inebriated but kindly builder down pub yesterday told me i was a mug, and today dropped me off some 12mm zinc wedge anchor through bolts.

My question is this: are the expansion bolts overkill? Will the rawl plugs suffice.

Ps. I am 6'1" and 14 stone

erm, sam

• forum hero
#1 Re: fingerboard fixings
February 18, 2013, 06:35:04 pm
As a general rule, if it seemed like a good idea in the pub then it probably still is a good idea. A credo to live by.

erm, sam

• forum hero
#2 Re: fingerboard fixings
February 18, 2013, 06:35:54 pm
Oh, and I have no clue about Rawl plugs and the like.

tomtom

• forum hero
#3 fingerboard fixings
February 18, 2013, 07:00:06 pm
Yes. Bigger the better. I have scars in my wall and had a bruise on my leg where my Beastmaker came off mid workout..

crimp

#4 Re: fingerboard fixings
February 18, 2013, 07:21:19 pm
Reckon you're right tomtom. There's nothing to lose by 'overfixing'

on another tip, a local legend has recommended i start with assisted hangs, either with a pulley and weights, or marginal footholds on doorframe. Any suggestions on which is preferable.?

tomtom

• forum hero
#5 fingerboard fixings
February 18, 2013, 07:26:12 pm
Yup just put a normal chair c.50 cm back from the fingerboard and do some of the exercises with feet on. Move the chair further away and it gets harder on your fingers etc.. That's how I normally warm up..

crimp

#6 Re: fingerboard fixings
February 18, 2013, 07:35:59 pm
 :thumbsup:

brilliant. Good advice that costs nowt and doesn't involve rigging a pulley, or screwing shin shredding bits of wood sticking out of my door frame.

Cheers bud

crimp

#7 Re: fingerboard fixings
February 20, 2013, 11:04:56 am
would somebody with a beastmaker 1000 kindly measure the fixing hole spacings in relation to each other and board edges.

That way i can put up my cobbled together tendon ripping torture device with the wall bolts set out thus. Then if i ever manage to get a real board my bolt spacings should be somewhere near right.

Cheers

punkpunk

• player
#8 Re: fingerboard fixings
February 20, 2013, 01:55:25 pm
Beastmaker fixes with wood screws....might be better mounting a sheet of ply to your bolt holes and screwing it to that if you get one? Mend you don't have to worry about spacing for now too

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

crimp

#9 Re: fingerboard fixings
February 21, 2013, 09:28:21 am
Cheers

having looked about web and getting thoughts here, I've decided plywood baseboard expansion bolted to wall is the way to go. Then just screw things to that.

Going to builders merchants see if can get offcut.

What thickness ply would be best for screwing things to? They do ply 6mm to 18mm.
One site recommended 12mm, but that wouldn't give my hold/board screws much depth? And I'm quite a big chap.

Any experiences please

punkpunk

• player
#10 Re: fingerboard fixings
February 21, 2013, 11:50:28 am
I'd go 18mm personally and I don't weigh much. Like folk have said it's not fun if it comes off the wall..

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Duma

• forum hero
#11 Re: fingerboard fixings
February 21, 2013, 11:55:51 am
Like folk have said it's not fun if it comes off the wall..

^This is putting it mildly:

http://www.heatfund.org.uk/

stay safe.

crimp

#12 Re: fingerboard fixings
February 21, 2013, 12:17:01 pm
Jesus. That's a terrible accident, and a sobering lesson that even small falls badly landed can have devastating consequences. Time to save up for a crash pad

I'll go with the 18mm ply for baseboard. Any thicker would cause problems with the expansion bolts, and don't wanna have to use weaker rawlplugs Instead.

It's all coming together slowly.

Concretesnail

#13 Re: fingerboard fixings
March 26, 2013, 07:24:39 pm
If you haven't done it yet I would suggest something a bit more change friendly.

If you mount two blocks of timber to the wall with m10 t nuts in them you can fix them down hard and just bolt whatever boards you like to them. M10 bolt through 18mm ply will carry a sh**** load of weight. And the timber blocks can be fixed as Perminant as you like.

As a random tip once you have drilled the holes for the expansion bolts smear some wood glue in the holes, it will soak into the plaster and help stop it crumbling and wearing as the bolts take hold. (This works for rawl plugs too)

crimp

#14 Re: fingerboard fixings
March 26, 2013, 07:48:58 pm
Cheers

change of plan anyway. Can't get through the massive RSJs above me doors.

Going to mount my 18mm ply baseboard to two chin up bars with jubilee clips and put in door frame.

Was lucky to pick up a metolius simulator well cheap.

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds

crimp

#16 Re: fingerboard fixings
March 26, 2013, 11:45:49 pm
Yep. I've already clocked those beauties.

Getting one is definitely on my to do list. Problem is i don't have any plastic. I be cash only. Makes mail order difficult.

I will eventually get round to bothering someone with a card to order me one of they, but in the meantime, gotta make do and cobble together what i can.

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#17 Re: fingerboard fixings
March 27, 2013, 12:11:08 am
Hard currency is not the only means of transaction in my neck of the woods...

:alky:

crimp

#18 Re: fingerboard fixings
March 27, 2013, 07:53:53 am
Not much to barter with either.

Unless you want a pair of ice hockey sticks. Good fun on snowy frozen roads, but it only snows in bristol one day every decade.

JJP

• addict
#19 Re: fingerboard fixings
November 12, 2020, 01:58:10 pm
Looking for advice on fixing a bolt hanger to be used for pulley under FB.

Is there a specific type of screw should use?  On previous set up had just used normal wood screw but it tended to spin a lot.  Its been fixed to wood.

Cheers for any advice

tomtom

• forum hero
#20 Re: fingerboard fixings
November 12, 2020, 02:09:29 pm

Is there a specific type of screw should use?  On previous set up had just used normal wood screw but it tended to spin a lot.  Its been fixed to wood.

Cheers for any advice

I've got a hook - then a maillon linking it to the pulley. Just screwed into the bottom of the beastmaker. If I put more than 25kg through it then it starts to bend :D but I don't need that much... (now)

remus

• forum hero
#21 Re: fingerboard fixings
November 12, 2020, 02:13:18 pm

Cheers for any advice

I use these https://www.screwfix.com/p/marine-eye-plates-x-2-pack/22320

I've hung ~100kg off it and it didn't snap off. There's some cheaper galvanised versions too, but I thought the shiny ones looked nicer  8)

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#22 Re: fingerboard fixings
November 12, 2020, 02:17:04 pm

Cheers for any advice

Depending on how big the hole in the hangar is (10/12mm?) id just bang a few screws in it, much like the way walls use multiple normal screws to hold bolt on holds in place. Tbh I think the things Remus has linked would be better though, or any other kind of eye fixing.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#23 Re: fingerboard fixings
November 12, 2020, 04:34:12 pm
I've got an old van loadbay tie-down fixing (basically similar to a bolt hanger) bolted into the door frame studwork with an m8 x 50 coachbolt: 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/turbocoach-coach-screws-yellow-zinc-plated-8-x-50mm-50-pack/39627

I've bounce tested by 75kg on it and it didn't squeak.

JJP

• addict
#24 Re: fingerboard fixings
November 12, 2020, 06:24:45 pm
Cheers for all the suggestions

The turbocoach screws Fultonius suggested is what I had in mind but wasnt sure what they were called.  Will get these and use with my bolt hangers (ye 12 mm) if can get right length or get a couple of the "marine eye plates" as suggested by remus which do look smart!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal