UKBouldering.com

Unknown Area Avon Gorge closed due to Rockfall (Read 2228 times)

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Martin Crocker reports on the ClimbBristol FB page:

[24.01.13]
"A large rockfall has occurred at the extreme left-hand end of Unknown Wall. An 8mx8m section of the cliff immediately left of Halcyon Days' has collapsed - littering 100 cubic metres of blocks on the slope uphill of the start of Unknown Wall. Some of the discharged material is precariously poised and ultimately could do with being rolled to a lower, stable position. An official appeared to be inspecting the site today but I will nonetheless let Bristol City Council know that we are aware of it now. The climbs didn't appear to be directly affected, but care will be required hereabouts especially when scrambling up to Desecrator etc."

[31.01.13]
"I have talked with Bristol City Council's engineer. Access to all the Unknown area, apart from Upper Wall, is closed i.e. access is not permitted to any routes commencing from any part of the flat ground and wooded slope behind the roadside stone wall. Signage/taping is in place top and bottom. Apart from the threat from precariously loose boulders on the slope I am told that there are signs of serious instability to the cliff right of the rockfall (ie the cliff containing Halcyon Days'). Consultant geologists and contractors are in the process of assessing the site and will formulate a remediation plan. I am told that the works will have a significant effect on the climbing here. Another issue that has come to light as a result of the rockfall is that the land beneath this section of the cliffs is now known to be private (and the rockfall has raised liability concerns). Clearly it's important that we stay out of the restricted area, especially now we have set out to raise the profile of climbing in Bristol. I have asked to be kept informed so that I can relay status reports from time to time on Facebook."

(my highlighting)

iain

• forum abuser
Thanks for posting Duncan

crimp

More recent bad news regarding another big rockfall in the region from climbbristol facebook, that people might wish to be aware of.

Note for all those who climb at Wintours Leap the first pitch of "Perfumed Garden" has fallen down and has left a mess at the bottom and leading down to GO wall. Its a large amount of rock maybe 10m by 5m section and it has fallen in the last 2 days!!! 2

The saturated ground and that cold robs seem to be taking their toll. Be careful out there.

crimp

Quick update from climb bristol

Unknown Wall Rockfall

At an early stage I asked that Bristol City Council keep us informed. Colin Knowles and I attended a Downs Committee meeting yesterday where it became clear that a geological consultants' report has now been prepared. I have asked for more information. Meantime: it appears likely that remediation proposals will affect some of the adjacent climbs, and I have made a plea on behalf of the BMC and climbers generally that we are allowed an input. Whilst significant works may be unavoidable, the possible loss of any climbs should be factored in to the decision-making process. The access restrictions in the Unknown area remain in place for the time being. Cheers, Martin

also note some routes may be off limits on weekdays for a few hours on sea and main walls over the next 4 weeks for the climb bristol team to remove loose rock from routes.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal