UKBouldering.com

Over brushing verging on new hold creation at Rivelin (Read 10254 times)

Danny

• junky
So let's put it down to a brain fart on your part for the time being.
I would be interested to learn otherwise, but until then I'll be merrily lapis-brushing away :)

old cheese

• obsessive maniac
  • does my arse look big in this
 :offtopic:Personally I use snow leopard ear hair brushes. Expensive yes but soft on the rock. Save the rock I say

masonwoods101

• forum abuser
Is there anyway you can advertise UKB as being the only climbing forum with resident geologists at hand to answer any questions... :smartass:

andy_e

• forum hero
So let's put it down to a brain fart on your part for the time being.

Brain fart due to being bored at work if you please...

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Bonjoy:

Hmmm, it's a different force acting on it. Usually holds with lots of foot-traffic become polished (unless the outer layer is removed such as Hanging Arete at Higgar) because pressure is exerted downwards and the pressure is spread out over a wider area whereas brushing exerts downwards force and force backwards and forwards with brushing and is localised in a small area. Look at New Jerusalem for example, nobody stands on that hold and yet it's become massive through overbrushing.

Sorry Andi but you are failing to see the wood for the trees. Pressure on footholds is multi-directional for various obvious reasons (do I really need to go into those reasons). Rotational force is particularly common on footholds and especially damaging. The difference in area over which load is spread is irrelevant as it is hugely outweighted by the difference in in scale between the force. Let me illustrate this another way. Which would be more damaging to your teeth, me brushing them with a toothbrush, or me jumping up and down on them?

The bottom bit of the Higgar arete is soft damp rock and never had a resistant crust to speak of. As someone who does the odd new problem I can tell you that some rock (especially near ground level), is shit from day one. I've actually heard people blame the damaged footholds on this problem on brushing. Do these people never notice the sand on their boots every time they use such footholds?!*
Can't comment on NJ as I haven't seen it for years. Where a handhold is so fragile is crumbles under a toothbrush I tend to favour re-enforcement with superglue rather than a doomed to failure brushing veto.

* I sealed these footholds with rock sealant some years ago so they should be stable, but haven't been back to check in a long time.

andy_e

• forum hero
Good point. Both brushing and standing on holds can damage them. I didn't realise the holds at Higgar had been stabilised, they're still quite sandy and crumbly (I avoided using them on the few goes I had on it).

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
It was ages ago using some rock sealant. Probably needs re-doing with superglue (much more effective).

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Blood Falls had a pocket so soft it got damage by use and brushing. Hopefully that's now stable.

dave

I rescaled the higher arête a couple of years after love joy, not sure how well it's held up.

andy_e

• forum hero
How does superglue look/feel once applied? Is it invisible?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

It looks Super!

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Next to invisible. Very minor reduction in friction. That's assuming it's applied well i.e. the excess is sopped up with a rag.

Boredboy

• menacing presence

The hold I posted about had definitely been abused by over brushing, you can tell because the rock had a 'scoured' look about it in a wide area.

That American person had a good point. I'll be putting away my denture brush for a nice soft Lapis from now on. 

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
which hold is it that you are referring to?

Boredboy

• menacing presence

The one that's by your face when you get the left hand slopey cusp thing. It's chalked a bit with a pale crumbly look to it and is different to the natural colour of the grit around it, you don't need it when you do the problem, I don't think it was like that about 8-ish years ago. 

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
Sounds like the crozzly crimp with thumb sprag on the side that I did actually use, found it easier that using the pinch below.
The little ear flake out right looked more worn to me. Can't imagine either would get brushed really hard though, they're both out of reach so surely any brushing would be done with a stick

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal