UKBouldering.com

It's all in yer genes! (Read 13218 times)

Greg C

• forum hero
It's all in yer genes!
May 13, 2004, 11:11:55 am
Hi all,
The forgoten classic gets a second ascent...
http://www.lakesbloc.co.uk/8.html

P.S. Sorry know this is blowing my own trumpet (if only I could) a bit, but I think its a worthwhile piece of news, in our parts at least.  :?

Doylo

• forum hero
#1 It's all in yer genes!
May 13, 2004, 11:18:34 am
I have seen it and it is very good, Nice1.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#2 It's all in yer genes!
May 13, 2004, 11:20:24 am
Nice one  :)

Like the name "Carlisle Slappers" for that other problem too...

Nigel

• forum hero
#3 It's all in yer genes!
May 13, 2004, 12:40:05 pm
Genius problem and a fucking good effort by Greg. Absolutely makes a mockery of Peak ideas of a good traverse (step forward the second half of Jerry's traverse, or the polished footholds of Powerband), top notch rock and moves. Can I have V10 for getting to the last move last year? Ah well! Nice one Greg, let the floodgates open  :8)

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#4 It's all in yer genes!
May 13, 2004, 01:00:22 pm
Quote from: "Nigel"
Genius problem and a fucking good effort by Greg. Absolutely makes a mockery of Peak ideas of a good traverse (step forward the second half of Jerry's traverse, or the polished footholds of Powerband), top notch rock and moves. Can I have V10 for getting to the last move last year? Ah well! Nice one Greg, let the floodgates open  :8)

Go do Sweet Release and the eatswood Traverse then come back and tell me about peak traverses :wink:

cofe

• forum hero
#5 It's all in yer genes!
May 13, 2004, 01:05:14 pm
to be fair powerband int that bad. it does start and end in the middle of nowhere and isn't really a line, but after working on it recently the moves really are quite good and the holds aren't painful - a rare treat on peak crimestone.

so there. :blows raspberry:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#6 It's all in yer genes!
May 13, 2004, 01:12:45 pm
Not to mention Jerry's Traverse at Cratcliffe - superb line.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#7 It's all in yer genes!
May 13, 2004, 01:30:54 pm
Inertia Reel trav has got to be the best trav in the country, if not the PEAK.

dave

#8 It's all in yer genes!
May 13, 2004, 01:39:29 pm
Quote from: "cofe"
isn't really a line,

it is a line - its following a break for christ sake, what more of a line do you want? :roll:

cofe

• forum hero
#9 It's all in yer genes!
May 13, 2004, 01:43:45 pm
Quote from: "dave"
Quote from: "cofe"
isn't really a line,

it is a line - its following a break for christ sake, what more of a line do you want? :roll:

yeah but you don't walk up to that end of raven tor, look at the rock and go  :idea:

who cares.

Greg C

• forum hero
#10 It's all in yer genes!
May 13, 2004, 02:00:09 pm
Not that Im totally grade orientated  :oops: but be interesting to know how the Peak Limestone traverses compare to the South Lakes ones.

The Big G commented that when he did Hybrid Moments he was going to give it V10 but as Stamina Band was widly excepted as V11 he had to give it V11 as its slightly harder  :?

Greg C

• forum hero
#11 It's all in yer genes!
May 13, 2004, 02:11:17 pm
I have just realised what I have written and its a bit pointless really. I mean how the fuck would a guy who climbs V15, gave Traci Lords sit start V12 (Its fucked up), who gave a problem Andy Earl couldn' touch V7, did Work Hard and forgot to tell anyone, who is working a route which would get 9c+ in Europe, who thought Walk Away was easy when he did it and who is working a boulder project that would get V17 in Europe (seriously) know the difference between V10 and V11  :roll:

squeek

• junky
#12 It's all in yer genes!
May 13, 2004, 02:41:59 pm
<light hearted joke>

When's the wedding?

</light hearted joke>

Greg C

• forum hero
#13 It's all in yer genes!
May 13, 2004, 03:02:02 pm
Unfortunately he's already married and as a devote Christian, not an Arab, is only alowed one wife  :lol:  :wink:

dave

#14 It's all in yer genes!
May 13, 2004, 03:04:51 pm
lets face it greg, i don't think being an arab wife is all the fun and games its cracked up to be.

:saythat:

Nigel

• forum hero
#15 It's all in yer genes!
May 13, 2004, 03:32:10 pm
Like Greg says John is already married and to be honest I wouldn't be too impressed if Greg started trying to split us up.

Doylo

• forum hero
#16 It's all in yer genes!
May 13, 2004, 04:09:17 pm
Quote from: "Greg Chapman"
Not that Im totally grade orientated  :oops: but be interesting to know how the Peak Limestone traverses compare to the South Lakes ones.

The Big G commented that when he did Hybrid Moments he was going to give it V10 but as Stamina Band was widly excepted as V11 he had to give it V11 as its slightly harder  :?

I've tried them both and would guess that staminabands harder, i did powerband two years ago and have tried the extension on/off ever since. I reckon i could do hybrid in significantly less time. I did the last bit quick and its more beta dependent than powerful. Haven't done that drop move or tried to link it yet though so who knows. Nige has tried both. Will come up for a blast in the summer. Hybrid certainly gets first prize in the quality stakes anyway!

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#17 It's all in yer genes!
May 13, 2004, 04:21:27 pm
Which way did you do the last move on SB Chris, the lanky way avoiding the pocket move or the mans way :wink: ?

Doylo

• forum hero
#18 It's all in yer genes!
May 13, 2004, 04:28:08 pm
Lanked it  :oops: and before any old skool peak hommes start jibing me, i couldn't give a rats ass. i only climb for myself and know what grade it was for me personally to traverse that bit of rock. I can't be sacked with eliminate rock climbing either!

dave

#19 It's all in yer genes!
May 13, 2004, 04:32:40 pm
having being trying to do the finish any which way i can over the last couple of weeks i can say i don't think theres any difference in difficulty between the 2 finished from my point of view. the "trad" way means hanging a gash Bi-pocket above your head for a drop down, and the "lanky" way just means hanging a slightly better bi-pocket a lot lower for a drop-down.

anyway, i don't see anywhere where it says you have to climb things exactly the same as the FA. I don't see people queueing up to dsolo right unconquerable in plimsols.

Greg C

• forum hero
#20 It's all in yer genes!
May 13, 2004, 04:35:23 pm
Don't worry Chris I got jibed by the Big G for doing the last crux move on Cloning Tech the obvious - but not the "official" - way.  :lol:
Still hard like, so who cares!

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#21 It's all in yer genes!
May 13, 2004, 04:35:42 pm
I'm only goading you Chris  :poke: . As a non lankster i don't got the choice. Anyway you've done it and i haven't so i'll shut up now.

Nigel

• forum hero
#22 It's all in yer genes!
May 13, 2004, 04:36:13 pm
Gaskins only thinks that because he obviously finds Staminaband easy (well he did find it necessary to do PUTP after it!) due to his mutatedness. So he is right, but probably only for him - I would definately find Staminaband harder, but then that's me! Main thing, Hybrid Moments is a better traverse  :arrow:  :8)

Doylo

• forum hero
#23 It's all in yer genes!
May 13, 2004, 04:37:42 pm
I know, these days people seem to do powerband whichever way they can, i'm sure a few old tor wads would begrudge them the ascent though. If your tall you can lank both ways to be honest, i've done powerband both ways although i think using the gnarly pocket is a bit harder for me. It is a total height think though, saw ste mac do powerband, he had his feet above his head, it looked desperate. Solid font 7c+ if your that short!

Doylo

• forum hero
#24 It's all in yer genes!
May 13, 2004, 04:39:11 pm
Quote from: "Greg Chapman"
Don't worry Chris I got jibed by the Big G for doing the last crux move on Cloning Tech the obvious - but not the "official" - way.  :lol:
Still hard like, so who cares!

yeah these olds boys need to get with the times, follow the easiest line of resistance!

Nigel

• forum hero
#25 It's all in yer genes!
May 13, 2004, 04:42:09 pm
P.S. Can I just make Dave aware of a non big-bastard's take on Powerband last move! The move is only the same difficulty if you are tall enough to lank it, because then you can lank it off the 2-finger pocket with your foot on a jug. If you're short then the lank way is impossible and the "man's way" uses a wack egyptian off a shit foothold which is desperate.

You biggies :tom:  :lol:

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#26 It's all in yer genes!
May 13, 2004, 04:48:38 pm
Couldn't agree more Chris - I had all that 'approved' method bullshit thrown at me when I did Powerband back in the early 90s. I'm quite tall and I've got long arms, of course I'm going to take advantage of my reach. I still get nailed on bunched up problems.

Adam Wainwright keeps banging on about an 'approved' method on the Barrel (i.e. missing the undercut at the end of the trav) - apparently this is how Jerry originally did it. It is slightly harder, but so what, if I climb with a blind fold it'll be slightly (actually a lot harder!)

Same deal with Jerry's Roof - according to him and Ray Wood you ain't done it if you go low on the first few moves, because this is not how Jerry did it.

It is amazing how a simple principle, namely: 'follow the easiest line of resistance' can prove beyond the comprehension of otherwise intelligent adults.

:roll:

Doylo

• forum hero
#27 It's all in yer genes!
May 13, 2004, 04:59:28 pm
Dropping down on Jerrys or using the undercut on the barrel is actually the most pleasant ways to do those problems too. Its not like those boys were using an aesthetically superior method! Eliminates have there place but theres no need for it on natural line. Anyway i'm gonna have to tear myself away from this forum. If i don't nail 2000 words by tomorrow i'm up shit creek without a paddle.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#28 It's all in yer genes!
May 14, 2004, 12:29:37 am
u guys  :roll: learn from an old master

"traverse grades are meaningless"

dave

#29 It's all in yer genes!
May 14, 2004, 09:04:56 am
Quote from: "Nigel"
If you're short then the lank way is impossible and the "man's way" uses a wack egyptian off a shit foothold which is desperate

:nopity:  :cry:

dave

#30 It's all in yer genes!
May 14, 2004, 09:06:10 am
Quote from: "the owen"
...Come to think of it I remember Ray gettin a bee in his bonnet about the way to do Jason's Roof at Burbage north!

go on then spill the beta. I've got money on it being not the way i use!

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#31 It's all in yer genes!
May 14, 2004, 09:09:41 am
Hold on a sec, so I take it the low beta (share on finger jam avoiding pinch and drop-down) on the mid crux of powerband is also in, that should make life a bit easier, for the short :lol: ? And the jug on jerry's trav, sweeeet.

dave

#32 It's all in yer genes!
May 14, 2004, 09:42:18 am
i dont recon that'd make it any easier lovejoy - those pinch moves are the easiest on the problem anyway.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#33 It's all in yer genes!
May 14, 2004, 09:51:41 am
True, but the drop down is one of the two moves i fall off on the link and the low way removes it. To be honest I wouldn't do it that way cos i would feel like i'd cheated, call me a misguided bouldering dinosaur if you like, but thats just the way i'd feel.

Doylo

• forum hero
#34 It's all in yer genes!
May 14, 2004, 10:06:11 am
Did you not have some weird way of getting through those undecuts on SB, missing out the burly moves if i remember correctly  :lol:

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#35 It's all in yer genes!
May 14, 2004, 10:11:12 am
Quote from: "Chris Doyle"
Did you not have some weird way of getting through those undecuts on SB, missing out the burly moves if i remember correctly  :lol:

I was doing some crazy cross-over shit, but i sacked it off for the normal way in the end.

Doylo

• forum hero
#36 It's all in yer genes!
May 14, 2004, 10:26:48 am
i is just goading yer bonjoy  :poke:
Lets face it'd probably find it easier than you if i wore wellies cos of the height thing. But then again your stronger than me which might even things out a bit.

cofe

• forum hero
#37 It's all in yer genes!
May 14, 2004, 11:05:16 am
that'll be why he matches it on stick it then. blinkered or what.

Doylo

• forum hero
#38 It's all in yer genes!
May 14, 2004, 11:08:49 am
yeah i saw mooney do it, matching the hold, he didn't seem to consider using the arete. It looked quite nails his way, he struggled :!:

dave

#39 It's all in yer genes!
May 14, 2004, 11:18:18 am
Quote from: "the owen"
But apparently Jerry does it by matchin the thing out right. Ray was sayin that arete was "out".

what a load of shite eh! its a sitter to the "arete and pinch" problem, so how can the arete be out! some people must have a funny idea about what a line is.  i don't even think matching the pinch/edge thing would be any harder.

the way i look at it is that using the arete gives you as far as i'm concerned one of the best problems in the valley, and quality speaks for itself.

Pantontino

• forum hero
#40 It's all in yer genes!
May 14, 2004, 11:54:20 am
I remeber back in my Almscliff days we used to have a rule on the Slopey Traverse, that you couldn't heel hook, but it was pretty stupid, because you were allowed to on Grape Strain just across the way.

There is nothing wrong with doing eliminates - hell, I could write a dissertation on my Roadside favourites, but this stuff should always play second fiddle to the pure non eliminate line.

Once I've done every true line that I'm capable of in the Pass I might go back and do the Barrel without the undercut, but that could be 10 years away!

Pantontino

• forum hero
#41 It's all in yer genes!
May 14, 2004, 12:05:19 pm
Thought of another example: When I first did King of Drunks I had a desperate sequence which even Leo couldn't do, despite his quick despatch of the stand up version of Wavelength.
Subsequently John Dunne sussed the - admittedly obvious - standard sequence, and, such is life, my 'hard' problem became a soft touch V6.

I better hassle Ray into doing it with the old sequence - that'll shut him up (or probably not, knowing how strong he is at the moment).

a dense loner

• forum hero
#42 It's all in yer genes!
May 14, 2004, 01:30:34 pm
But apparently Jerry does it by matchin the thing out right

jerry may do it that way but it is called jason's roof. must be so borin for them guys when they only have a few things left to do. glad i'm not mutant

Nigel

• forum hero
#43 It's all in yer genes!
May 14, 2004, 02:15:21 pm
Gonna keep bangin' on this drum! The reason Moony does Jason's that "blinkered" way is because that is the only way he can. There are two types of people in this world - those who can reach the pinch/edge, and those who can't. Those who can't don't do it and play the "too short" card (I know I do!) - not Moony! He can't quite reach the pinch but he can get the very vague piece of shite on the right hand side of it as a sloper. Fuuullll stretch! Then jumps his left hand from the undercut to the edge which means he has to cut loose and hold a big swing on shit holds. If he went for the arete there is no way he could hold the swing!

When I told him that some people do it by reaching straight through to the good edge in their right hand he said something along the lines of  "Lanky twats" :clapclap:  :lol:

dave

#44 It's all in yer genes!
May 14, 2004, 02:27:15 pm
although i've never had to try it myself, i wonder if with the heel toe in the back someone who couldn't reach quite far enough could come off the best bit of the undercut (like where the glue spooges out) and pinch the main body of the undercut to gain like 6inch extra reach? you'd think it'd be possible to do that.

Nigel

• forum hero
#45 It's all in yer genes!
May 14, 2004, 02:32:29 pm
It works when you're stood on the ground but the problem is the heel toe which you'd need holds you such that you can't reach any further when you're on the problem.

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#46 It's all in yer genes!
May 14, 2004, 03:24:46 pm
And then there are some of us who would call Mooney tall. I  can't reach the crapness to the right of the pinch at full stretch so..

I've not done it, but I got very close by crimping a little rugosity in the wall betwixt pinch and arete with my right, toe hook undercut, slap up arete to a good pebble with left, dyno R hand to good edge, fall off easy top move, have a paddy.

dave

#47 It's all in yer genes!
May 14, 2004, 03:28:24 pm
sounds like an innovative sequence :shock:

Doylo

• forum hero
#48 It's all in yer genes!
May 14, 2004, 04:36:10 pm
Quote from: "Ru"
And then there are some of us who would call Mooney tall. I  can't reach the crapness to the right of the pinch at full stretch so..

I've not done it, but I got very close by crimping a little rugosity in the wall betwixt pinch and arete with my right, toe hook undercut, slap up arete to a good pebble with left, dyno R hand to good edge, fall off easy top move, have a paddy.

oh no that should be illegal

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal