UKBouldering.com

North Wales Limestone update (Read 28043 times)

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#25 Re: North Wales Limestone update
July 11, 2014, 09:29:20 pm
Good to hear Pete. Looking forward to seeing it in v12!

petejh

• forum hero
#26 Re: North Wales Limestone update
July 12, 2014, 08:29:33 pm
Somebody (unknown/unconnected to me) posted on ukc about the release of the NW Lime guide, and within a couple of hours the thread got zapped. To me that's a paranoid and sinister level of censorship - preventing climbers, who are completely unconnected to me or this guide, talking on ukc about a soon-to-be released climbing guidebook?!
Bullying, controlling, craziness.

How many times can UKC keep banning and censoring people before enough of them get fed up that it affects Alan's advertising revenue?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#27 Re: North Wales Limestone update
July 13, 2014, 12:40:32 pm
Looking forward to this.  Will there be a combined price for physical  & electronic versions?

Great work putting in all the rebolting & new routing work too.

petejh

• forum hero
#28 Re: North Wales Limestone update
July 13, 2014, 07:10:33 pm
I'd have liked to, and if I had any energy left and if I was making any money from the book then I'd put in the legwork to make this happen. But no, as things stand they'll be two separate products.

I'd also liked to have sold the books direct and had pre-orders, but again it isn't worth my time setting it up and I'm too knackered to do the legwork. It's opened my eyes for future possibilities though. A 4 year lesson.

It's only now I've reached this stage that the dynamics of actually selling the thing have taken shape in my mind - now I just want rid of it and to see it in shops and being used at the crag.

grumpybearpants

#29 Re: North Wales Limestone update
July 14, 2014, 03:27:29 pm
Pete,

It was me that posted. They have said in the past that someone not associated can place a reference on the forums but now they have the following;

Non-commercial Post Promoting an Event, Product or Web Site
Although we will occasionally allow people to use the UKC forums to
promote free events, charity events and free web sites, we prefer to be
approached first so that we can make a decision on this.

My post was to see other peoples opinion about the app/guidebook approach (which I think is an excellent development) and to consider whether it to be the next step (missing in the rockfax portfolio? Did they have a paddy?) for climbing guides.

GBPCG

remus

• forum hero
#30 Re: North Wales Limestone update
July 14, 2014, 06:11:43 pm
Excellent news Pete! I eagerly anticipate arrival in the shops!

Thanks again for all the hard work you've put in to the guide and the area.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#31 Re: North Wales Limestone update
July 14, 2014, 07:13:38 pm
nice one Andy & Pete, looks great, can't wait to get a copy.

petejh

• forum hero
#32 Re: North Wales Limestone update
July 15, 2014, 09:19:24 pm
My post was to see other peoples opinion about the app/guidebook approach (which I think is an excellent development) and to consider whether it to be the next step (missing in the rockfax portfolio? Did they have a paddy?) for climbing guides.

GBPCG

Hi GBPCG. I think the most likely explanation for your thread being deleted by UKC is Alan was 'having a paddy' that somebody else other than rockfax is releasing an app version of their guidebook and receiving 'free publicity' about it on his website.

Alan has been very careful to censor any mention of TheSend on UKC since the first app came out more than 3 years ago, to the extent that very few users of that forum actually know that TheSend exists and produces a free top-quality App platform for guidebook authors to use. Every post mentioning TheSend is removed under the guise of not advertising a commercial product. Even though people freely discuss cams and nuts, other guides and clothing/equipment etc. all the time...

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#33 Re: North Wales Limestone update
July 16, 2014, 02:21:43 pm
What do you expect from a pig but grunts?

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#34 Re: North Wales Limestone update
July 19, 2014, 03:09:32 pm

GBPCG

Hi GBPCG. I think the most likely explanation for your thread being deleted by UKC is Alan was 'having a paddy' that somebody else other than rockfax is releasing an app version of their guidebook and receiving 'free publicity' about it on his website.

Alan has been very careful to censor any mention of TheSend on UKC since the first app came out more than 3 years ago, to the extent that very few users of that forum actually know that TheSend exists and produces a free top-quality App platform for guidebook authors to use. Every post mentioning TheSend is removed under the guise of not advertising a commercial product. Even though people freely discuss cams and nuts, other guides and clothing/equipment etc. all the time...

I didn't theSend existed, and it looks perfect for what I want. Cheers!

petejh

• forum hero
#35 Re: North Wales Limestone update
August 13, 2014, 05:19:15 pm
Just a quick update on the progress of the book in case anyone was wondering where it's at. I've been having a bit of back and forwards with the printers over the last two weeks about getting the files just right for printing and this has led to a small delay. All a bit frustrating, but everything's sorted out now and they contacted me yesterday with a firm delivery date of Sept 2nd to Cordee (so in the shops a couple of days later) and a possibility that it may be a bit earlier. So not the 3-4 weeks at the printers we'd hoped for, oh well. Not far away. V12 and Joe Brown in Llanberis will have the first copies delivered direct.

Teaboy

• forum hero
#36 Re: North Wales Limestone update
August 13, 2014, 06:00:29 pm
No point rushing at this late stage after all the effort you've put into getting it perfect,coincides with the end of the school hols as well. Can't wait.

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
#37 Re: North Wales Limestone update
August 14, 2014, 12:12:23 am
Just a quick update on the progress of the book in case anyone was wondering where it's at. I've been having a bit of back and forwards with the printers over the last two weeks about getting the files just right for printing and this has led to a small delay. All a bit frustrating, but everything's sorted out now and they contacted me yesterday with a firm delivery date of Sept 2nd to Cordee (so in the shops a couple of days later) and a possibility that it may be a bit earlier. So not the 3-4 weeks at the printers we'd hoped for, oh well. Not far away. V12 and Joe Brown in Llanberis will have the first copies delivered direct.

Cheers for the update Pete, no rush!

T_B

• forum hero
#38 Re: North Wales Limestone update
September 03, 2014, 08:50:26 pm
Is the guidebook still due out this week?

Doylo

• forum hero
#39 Re: North Wales Limestone update
September 03, 2014, 08:57:05 pm
Expected to arrive at Cordee next Monday or Tuesday now.

petejh

• forum hero
#40 Re: North Wales Limestone update
September 03, 2014, 09:00:45 pm
It was supposed to arrive yesterday but I received this email on Monday:
I'm afraid the books won't be ready until Thursday this week so they will arrive at Cordee on next Monday or Tuesday.

I will arrange for the x 2 file copies to be dispatched on Thursday so they will be with you Friday or Monday.

All my books are running behind schedule this week, there was a miscommunication on the delivery date from the factory which should have been the dispatch date.

Apologies for this.

I was too fed-up to update people.

andy popp

• forum hero
#41 Re: North Wales Limestone update
September 03, 2014, 09:41:52 pm
It'll be worth it Pete ...

Duma

• forum hero
#42 Re: North Wales Limestone update
September 10, 2014, 08:30:16 pm
Looks like it's arrived from the pic that just appeared on my fb feed...

Doylo

• forum hero
#43 Re: North Wales Limestone update
September 10, 2014, 08:41:42 pm
I was with Pete when he got his copy. Had to give him a hankie as he had a little tear in his eye. Is superb!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#44 Re: North Wales Limestone update
September 11, 2014, 08:47:22 am
Congratulations Pete!  :thumbsup:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#45 Re: North Wales Limestone update
September 11, 2014, 09:43:37 am
 :punk: :punk: :punk:

csurfleet

• menacing presence
#46 Re: North Wales Limestone update
September 11, 2014, 02:29:37 pm
Woooo!

Doylo

• forum hero
#47 Re: North Wales Limestone update
September 11, 2014, 05:51:55 pm

205Chris

• forum hero
#48 Re: North Wales Limestone update
September 11, 2014, 07:44:03 pm
When does it hit the shops  :bounce:

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#49 Re: North Wales Limestone update
September 11, 2014, 07:59:37 pm
Can order copies from v12 from there website but not in stock yet.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal