Ben Folds Five - The Sound of the Life of the Mind

This is very good.

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#51 Re: Best Albums of 2012
December 22, 2012, 05:22:50 pm
I've just fallen head over heels in love with this lot:

A thrilling blast of amped up Replacements-esque/Paul Westerburg wonder that made me go in search of this album:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celebration_Rock

..and then drop heavy hints to my wife about what she should be buying me for Christmas.

Talk about blowing the fucking cobwebs out!  :punk: as, but with bits that sound like a more energetic National. If you search through youtube, like I did, you'll see what I mean.

Amusing Pitchforktv film here replete with rousing, air punching anthem and life on the road stuff:

Dr T

• forum hero
#52 Re: Best Albums of 2012
December 22, 2012, 05:24:16 pm
Still not as good as Copper Blue though....
Still one of my favourite albums....

back on topic bought a fair few albums this year but none that were released this year...
I'm getting old.  :'(

Pantontino

• forum hero
#53 Re: Best Albums of 2012
December 22, 2012, 05:36:27 pm
Going back to what SA Chris said at the start, I was blown away by this:

I was into them about ten years ago circa Mr, you're on fire Mr but had lost track of them.

I just love the messed up Underworld meets the Butthole Surfers groove. Hands down, the best song film I've seen for a very long time.

Pantontino

• forum hero
#54 Re: Best Albums of 2012
December 22, 2012, 05:51:38 pm
...and another second for the mighty Walkmen. Saw them again in Manchester recently and they were even better than a few years back. Such a great band; straight from the heart stuff that floors me every time.

Loving  these two off the new album:

Gritter

• menacing presence
#55 Re: Best Albums of 2012
December 22, 2012, 07:31:09 pm
What a great track and vid Heaven is! :punk:

AndyR

• forum hero
#56 Re: Best Albums of 2012
December 22, 2012, 08:16:14 pm
No particular order, and no doubt missing some crackers initially i'm going for:

Grizzly Bear - Shields

Ditto for Grizzly Bear - went to see them in Portland recently - really quite extraordinarily good.

Would also add Swing Lo Magellan by the Dirty Projectors - even if only for the first track - spectacularly crunchy guitar.

This is a great thread!

Dr T

• forum hero
#57 Re: Best Albums of 2012
December 22, 2012, 08:47:02 pm
Still not as good as Copper Blue though....
Still one of my favourite albums....

back on topic bought a fair few albums this year but none that were released this year...
I'm getting old.  :'(

Not that it negates my feeling of getting old but I did buy one 2012 release...
Oceania - Smashing Pumpkins
Return to form, sounds like the mid to late 90's again - probably why I forgot it was a 2012 release

Also, whilst I haven't actually got round to buying it, the new Killing Joke album sounds mucho promising

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#58 Re: Best Albums of 2012
December 23, 2012, 10:44:51 am
Some great suggestions.  Keep 'em coming.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#59 Re: Best Albums of 2012
December 23, 2012, 12:22:44 pm
Tending to prefer Dying Fetus to Pig Destroyer, HTH.

J_duds

• menacing presence
#60 Re: Best Albums of 2012
January 03, 2013, 07:44:27 pm

deadmau5 
> album title goes here <

Good (but not as good as 4x4=12)

And unexpectedly i now have some Jay-Z, and Jay-Z & Kanye West:

Pantontino

• forum hero
#61 Re: Best Albums of 2012
January 04, 2013, 02:46:52 pm
Forgot to mention the new Dinosaur Jr album; got it for Christmas (another heavy hint to my wife) and haven't stopped playing it since. J Mascis is the man, the main man! I could listen to him playing guitar forever.

andy popp

• forum hero
#62 Re: Best Albums of 2012
January 04, 2013, 05:16:19 pm
Forgot to mention the new Dinosaur Jr album; got it for Christmas (another heavy hint to my wife) and haven't stopped playing it since. J Mascis is the man, the main man! I could listen to him playing guitar forever.

It is good, though I don't think it quite matches 'Farm.' Got tickets to see them Feb 1, actually contemplating wearing some form or ear protection for first time ever.

Got to second or third the Grizzly Bear - wonderful, didn't think they could match Veckatimest but think they might have done (also another to see them this summer - I might do a round up of gigs later).

Tindersticks 'The Something Rain,' is also wonderful.
Dirty Three, 'Toward the Low Sun', blistering.
Enjoying the atmospherics of Smoke Fairies 'Blood Speaks.'

I know there's more I've bought this year but can't think right now.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#63 Re: Best Albums of 2012
January 04, 2013, 09:05:01 pm
actually contemplating wearing some form or ear protection for first time ever.

I stick a bit of cottonwool in my ears for gigs now, just to take the edge off. Got tinnitus from 2 years in artillery plus too many clubs and gigs, and it sucks, best avoid it if you can.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#64 Re: Best Albums of 2012
January 04, 2013, 09:35:56 pm
I wear ear plugs for anything indoors now thats remotely amplified.  My hearing is f*cked from playing in bands, too many loud gigs, surfers ear and headphones.

andy popp

• forum hero
#65 Re: Best Albums of 2012
January 04, 2013, 11:10:32 pm
How could I forget Part II: the new Godspeed album.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#66 Re: Best Albums of 2012
January 05, 2013, 03:25:26 pm
I am probably one of the few in my cohort totally underwhelmed by Allelujah! Don't bend! Ascend!

I really liked the Dinosaur Jr album though (and for pretty pathetic reasons: it sounds more or less exactly as “Where you been”, and I was still just twenty then so music was still good....  :-[ )

Pantontino

• forum hero
#67 Re: Best Albums of 2012
January 05, 2013, 05:30:35 pm

It is good, though I don't think it quite matches 'Farm.' Got tickets to see them Feb 1, actually contemplating wearing some form or ear protection for first time ever.

Got to second or third the Grizzly Bear - wonderful, didn't think they could match Veckatimest but think they might have done (also another to see them this summer - I might do a round up of gigs later).

I like Farm too, but I guess I'm just pleasantly surprised that they still keep coming up with the goods.

That Manchester Ritz gig is very tempting - I've only seen them play once before and that was more than twenty years ago!

fried

• forum hero
#68 Re: Best Albums of 2012
January 05, 2013, 05:50:42 pm
The internet's back up and running and I've been going through some of the stuff from this thread. Honestly, most of it sounds so over-produced. I had a couple of old bits of stuff from Julian Cope's 'Copendium' mixed in; a couple of Stooges tracks,Black Sabbath stuff,  which I haven't listened to for years (and I'm not a metal fan). The old stuff sounds fresher.

I bought a turntable this year and dug out some of my old stuff, I've always been a big Neil Young fan but for some reason I'd only listen to 'On the beach' once. I think there were too many songs with 'blues' in the title for an indie kid. It was the only 'wow' moment this year. Neil sings like he's passed out on a table half-way through a line of coke, bought into the hippy dream and arrived at the ocean to find the real sharks weren't in the sea. That's my find of the year.

I've been listening to Scott Walker's 'Bish Bosch' today. I like it.

andy popp

• forum hero
#69 Re: Best Albums of 2012
January 05, 2013, 06:28:30 pm

I like Farm too, but I guess I'm just pleasantly surprised that they still keep coming up with the goods.

That Manchester Ritz gig is very tempting - I've only seen them play once before and that was more than twenty years ago!

Come over Simon, you can have a doss at mine. I'm going with my son and his mates so another old fogey  :-[ would be good. Totally agree, who'd have ever guessed this reunion would keep delivering.

joeb

• addict
#70 Re: Best Albums of 2012
January 05, 2013, 09:03:45 pm
...and another second for the mighty Walkmen. Saw them again in Manchester recently and they were even better than a few years back. Such a great band; straight from the heart stuff that floors me every time.

Loving  these two off the new album:

Thanks for this listened on my laptop and wasn't really grabbed but through my nicer speakers the harmonies etc sound great. I'm hooked.

Pantontino

• forum hero
#71 Re: Best Albums of 2012
January 12, 2013, 01:06:29 pm

Come over Simon, you can have a doss at mine. I'm going with my son and his mates so another old fogey  :-[ would be good. Totally agree, who'd have ever guessed this reunion would keep delivering.

Think this is going to clash with my mate's 50th party. I'll let you know if it doesn't.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#72 Re: Best Albums of 2012
January 12, 2013, 06:42:11 pm
A couple of  others  to add:

Frank Ocean - Channel Orange.  The soul guy from Odd Future.  A really good groove electronic thing.  Kind of Prince'y with some Moodymann and 70's feel.

Sleep - Dopesmoker.  Finally remastered and reissued.  One hour long stoner rock single track.

Jim Jones Revue  - The savage Heart.  Garage rock n'roll at its best.

Burial - Truant/Rough Sleeper.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal