UKBouldering.com

Ben's Roof - Right Hand Finish? (Read 3689 times)

gcarmichael

• menacing presence
    • Vimeo Profile
Ben's Roof - Right Hand Finish?
June 10, 2011, 08:00:24 pm
Does anyone know where Ben's Roof Right Hand Finish goes?
Thanks,
George

Kingy

• forum hero
#1 Re: Ben's Roof - Right Hand Finish?
June 10, 2011, 08:18:37 pm
Yes, when you come onto the left wall, reach with the left hand to an edge a bit nearer and higher than the jug you go for on the left hand version with your RF in the toe hook. Then reach up with your RH to an undercut in the roof (hard move) - the right thumb is crucial here, it kind of catches on an edge near the undercut. Then pull in on this undercut and slap for a sloper (satisfying move) then build the feet up and go up for the finishing jugs. Its shorter but a bit more powerful than the left hand version and apparently the way it was first done. Enjoy!

gcarmichael

• menacing presence
    • Vimeo Profile
#2 Re: Ben's Roof - Right Hand Finish?
June 10, 2011, 09:03:50 pm
cheers!

James Malloch

• forum hero
#3 Re: Ben's Roof - Right Hand Finish?
April 25, 2014, 11:02:03 am
Thought I'd add to this rather than start a new beta thread.

Bit of a weird question, but at the start of bens roof when you have the RH pinch and are going for the LH pocket before going for the knee bar; if using the high right toe hook how do you pull on it?

It feels shit to me. Do you need to get a fair amount of force through the right foot and sink into it a bit and use the left mainly for balance? I cannot get it to work at all.

Also tried a low toe clamp but couldn't make that stick. I can get to it with left heel at the start, but it's very stretched out and I can't hold the swing without smashing into some mats on the way. Or should I just get stronger?

bendavison

• obsessive maniac
#4 Re: Ben's Roof - Right Hand Finish?
April 25, 2014, 12:00:34 pm
The high right toe hook didn't do all that much for me, just made me a bit closer to the LH pocket so the swing is less. I also tried a lower toe clamp, with LF in a pocket (I think) and RF hooking on a positive spike just behind. With the low toe clamp I could walk my feet around (so move LF onto the edge/pocket you get with your LH on the second move, footswap, and LF out) with no swing, but took longer.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#5 Re: Ben's Roof - Right Hand Finish?
April 25, 2014, 12:18:07 pm
Yeah, they're the two methods that I've tried. I will give them another go tonight cheers. Might persist with the clamp as I felt better on it but it was hit and miss as to how good it felt.

Wasn't sure if I was missing something with high toe hook or not...

bendavison

• obsessive maniac
#6 Re: Ben's Roof - Right Hand Finish?
April 25, 2014, 01:26:10 pm
I don't really know any micro beta, sorry! Maybe try toe hooking further along the high toe hook on the more positive bit.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#7 Re: Ben's Roof - Right Hand Finish?
April 25, 2014, 02:20:38 pm
This might help

James Malloch

• forum hero
#8 Re: Ben's Roof - Right Hand Finish?
April 25, 2014, 02:50:31 pm
It avoids the toe hooks that feel shit. But having never done a lock off before I may struggle with that method!!

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#9 Re: Ben's Roof - Right Hand Finish?
April 25, 2014, 03:08:22 pm
I got a took hook lower down, see pic, right foot is on the toe-hook. Kingy told me this beta.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#10 Re: Ben's Roof - Right Hand Finish?
April 27, 2014, 01:05:42 pm
Cheers. I managed to get the move done with the low clamp, and the high toe hook. Think I'll end up using the high way. Just the cut loose getting onto the left wall to work out...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal