UKBouldering.com

Ride Sheffield Winter Open Meeting - Monday 26 November at The Lescar 7.30pm (Read 4327 times)

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
  • High Rocks? Best crag in the country mate.....
    • John Horscroft - Writer
Sure you guys already know about this but no harm flagging it up again.  Be great to see a good UKB contingent.

http://www.ridesheffield.org.uk/2012/10/ride-sheffield-winter-social/

Snoops

• obsessive maniac
John I won't be able to make it.
Perhaps you could highlight the need for riders, (mainly younger ones) to respect trods and paths etc. In recent weeks I have seen riders coming down from houndkirk to burbage brook and up higgar, going from stanage Pole to stanage across the moorland where everyone (including walkers) is asked not to go , and down Wyming Brook (the path not the bridleway) which is an SSI.
It seems with the advent of decent lights people think they can do what they want when it is quiet.

I ride myself and it upsets me for 2 reasons:

(1) Moorland is getting trashed
(2) It hurts our cause as riders when we are applying for access/MTB tracks etc.

Cheers

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
Righto Snoops.  Crossing open moorland on a MB seems like utter lunacy.  I'll try and come up with a way of addressing the issue....

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
Bet the first victim would be a fell runner....  ;)

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
John I won't be able to make it.
Perhaps you could highlight the need for riders, (mainly younger ones) to respect trods and paths etc. In recent weeks I have seen riders coming down from houndkirk to burbage brook and up higgar, going from stanage Pole to stanage across the moorland where everyone (including walkers) is asked not to go , and down Wyming Brook (the path not the bridleway) which is an SSI.
It seems with the advent of decent lights people think they can do what they want when it is quiet.

I ride myself and it upsets me for 2 reasons:

(1) Moorland is getting trashed
(2) It hurts our cause as riders when we are applying for access/MTB tracks etc.

Cheers

Snoops, don't disagree with what you're saying and I don't endorse riding those paths.  I certainly can't understand why anyone would want to, let alone would, ride straight out across Stanage Moor.  But perhaps part of the reason people are riding different trails is the 'maintenance' performed at places like Blacka (endorsed by Ride Sheffield) which has ruined excellent challenging trails turning them into trail centre blue runs and forcing folk to find fun elsewhere?

How long before the Plantation is paved over? (That should get a few people on here interested if they don't consider the context  ;))

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
Not keen on the work done on Blacka then Norton? ;)  Not sure I'd say it was 'endorsed' by Ride Sheffield.  We were consulted by the SCC Rights of Way team who have a statutory duty to maintain bridleways.  The horse riders were finding it more and more difficult to negotiate the parts of Piper House Gate where the ruts had become particularly deep so some work was going to be carried out whether we liked it or not.  It's worth pointing out that the horsey folk asked that the rocky areas should be retained because, "We know the MBers like those bits."  The ROW team suggested that maintenance should be minimal and that they'd get the contractors to patch the worst areas while retaining as much technical interest as possible.

So, now we have a trail that is not as it was, not to all tastes and easier than before.  However, two years ago, the ROW contractors would simply have blasted through with two metres wide of hardcore.  The work that was done cost much more than if they had followed the old protocol so accomodating MBers as far as possible is expensive. 

It's a shared trail, not exclusively for MBers, therefore we have to compromise.  I loved the old PHG but given the choice between a motorway or the work that's been done, I'd choose the latter every time.  Now, the old classic run down to the ford, that's a different matter....  :-\

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
....and if we really want to start a debate, this is what I really think about the current state of rights of way legislation.....

http://www.johnhorscroft.co.uk/portfolio/biking/-/rights-of-passage/

:whistle:

cofe

• forum hero
Yeah, Ride Sheffield are doing great work.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
I'm afraid I have to agree with John and disagree with John.  Keep it up gents, I'll get back in my box for a few more months.

cofe

• forum hero
I didn't think the little dig at RS was necessary is all, when they're helping MB'ers have a voice, locally at least. All the Blacka stuff was explained pretty well at the meeting, including the eyesore that is the bit down to the stepping stones.

See you in a few months ;)

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
I'm afraid I have to agree with John and disagree with John.  Keep it up gents, I'll get back in my box for a few more months.

....you've lost me there Norton.  Are you trying to have your cake and eat it?  Genuinely nonplussed.  Are RS doing a good job or not?  Need to know as if we're not representing you, I'm pretty sure there are other riders who think the same so we're not carrying everyone with us.....not good   :shrug:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal