UKBouldering.com

Boulder near Boulder in March (Read 2332 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
Boulder near Boulder in March
December 01, 2012, 06:49:41 pm
I'm lucky to have been invited to talk at a workshop in Boulder CO for to days at the end of March.. I probably can't stay too long either side of this (MrsTT will get narky) but could probably swing 2-3 days before or after...

I know nothing about the area - except that there's loads of climbing about. So will it be too cold? Snow? Places to recommend? I'm guessing a rental car is required (it is NAmerica after all).. Pad rental..? Any words of advice much appreciated,

Thanks TT

andy popp

• forum hero
#1 Re: Boulder near Boulder in March
December 01, 2012, 07:07:35 pm
No words apart from ... you lucky, lucky bastard. I've been trying to cultivate links with UofCo at Boulder to no great effect so far.

Stubbs

#2 Re: Boulder near Boulder in March
December 01, 2012, 07:20:34 pm
As I understand there are year round bouldering options around Boulder, I think Flagstaff is one of the main winter ones, along with Boulder Canyon.  Hopefully someone will be able to give you a direct contact there, but The Spot was a dead friendly wall, and I don't think you'd struggle to find people to go out with.

Boulder is ridiculous, anaffluent town in stunning surroundings, not only home to some of the best climber in the US, but also the best skiers, road cyclist runners, etc, etc.  You'll have a great time even if you don't get out climbing!

tomtom

• forum hero
#3 Boulder near Boulder in March
March 23, 2013, 01:01:31 pm
Just a quick Bump.. I'm off there on Monday - with the whoe following weekend free before I have to come back.. Cheers for the beta Stubbs, any other advice? It's been cold there this week but due to warm up 1-2 night, 8-10 day (Celsius)..
T

tesla

• addict
  • long mover
#4 Re: Boulder near Boulder in March
March 23, 2013, 01:46:55 pm
What are you talking about at the workshop?

I visited CO recently and Horsetooth looked like it was pretty cool, but I didn't get to climb there as it was snowing. :-( a bunch of classic Gill problems in a beautiful setting.

Its only an hour or so away from Boulder. You could maybe try to PM Blunk for beta as he is a CO local.

tomtom

• forum hero
#5 Boulder near Boulder in March
March 23, 2013, 02:00:00 pm
Cool - ill pm Blunk.. Nice one.. Re workshop.. I don't know! Not been asked/told yet :)

tesla

• addict
  • long mover

runt

• obsessive maniac
#7 Re: Boulder near Boulder in March
March 30, 2013, 06:18:45 pm
Just got back and saw this, hope you find some dry rock, there was plenty about last week once the snow had gone. Everything seems to dry pretty quick, even if some top outs were still covered in snow. You can hire pads at neptune mountaineerings shop in south boulder, and I had good short sessions at flagstaff and the satellites. Watch yourself if you head out skiing, minging snowpack and a fair few avalanches this year.

and try a smash burger, lovely

tomtom

• forum hero
#8 Re: Boulder near Boulder in March
March 30, 2013, 10:54:38 pm
Thanks runt,
Just been out today doing some routes (eeek! a rope whats that..) off Boulder Canyon road... really nice day out. And hooking up with Blunk tomorrow to head out to Horsetooth I think... It dumped 1-2ft of snow last friday but its been 16-20 deg C for the last two days so its pretty much all melted where the sun is.. can't get over the zero humidty.. its weird!
T

runt

• obsessive maniac
#9 Re: Boulder near Boulder in March
April 02, 2013, 12:08:17 pm
Nice, glad you're getting decent conditions. Makes you realise how bloody damp the uk is, having to actually use a humidifier to avoid sandpaper throat, enjoy horsetooth

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal