UKBouldering.com

Kneepad/Kneebar trickery (Read 134415 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#400 Re: Kneepad/Kneebar trickery
December 19, 2012, 01:43:14 pm
"The grade of any new route will drift like a floating interest rate until some local climber—usually the biggest twat at the crag—deems himself important enough to be the one to publish a guidebook. The Guidebook Author becomes, for all intents and purposes, the self-proclaimed God of Grades and he wields his absolute power by getting the final say in what grades appear in his book."

No names mentioned?

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#401 Re: Kneepad/Kneebar trickery
December 22, 2012, 01:36:20 pm
"The grade of any new route will drift like a floating interest rate until some local climber—usually the biggest twat at the crag—deems himself important enough to be the one to publish a guidebook. The Guidebook Author becomes, for all intents and purposes, the self-proclaimed God of Grades and he wields his absolute power by getting the final say in what grades appear in his book."

No names mentioned?

I think Shark was saying that I'm the biggest twat at the crag, or maybe he meant Pete Harrison? Pete is pretty bad, but I think on balance I'm slightly more of a twat than him.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#402 Re: Kneepad/Kneebar trickery
December 22, 2012, 03:56:17 pm
I think Shark was saying that I'm the biggest twat at the crag, or maybe he meant Pete Harrison? Pete is pretty bad, but I think on balance I'm slightly more of a twat than him.

I'll take your word for it

Doylo

• forum hero
#403 Re: Kneepad/Kneebar trickery
December 22, 2012, 04:01:02 pm

No names mentioned?

It's fucking close  ;)

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#404 Re: Kneepad/Kneebar trickery
December 22, 2012, 04:45:43 pm

No names mentioned?

It's fucking close  ;)

Especially if you consider all the other collossal twats who hang out in the Cave. Some of them deserve special awards for services to twatdom.

Doylo

• forum hero
#405 Re: Kneepad/Kneebar trickery
December 22, 2012, 04:49:34 pm
There's some right massive gashes in there

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#406 Re: Kneepad/Kneebar trickery
December 22, 2012, 10:43:04 pm
TBH I was thinking he was referencing Ru, but I guess if you are a self proclaimed God you think everyone is talking abou you :)

petejh

• forum hero
#407 Re: Kneepad/Kneebar trickery
December 22, 2012, 11:55:11 pm
Stop talking about me everyone.

Si you're by far a much bigger twat than me. But if Doylo ever stops looking at granny pr0n and writes a guidebook he'll easily out-twat the both of us.

Doylo

• forum hero
#408 Re: Kneepad/Kneebar trickery
December 23, 2012, 09:40:29 am
I think you mean Grandad pr0n

iwasmexican

• obsessive maniac
#409 Re: Kneepad/Kneebar trickery
December 26, 2012, 01:23:34 pm
hate to resurrect this but whats the status of using kneepads in competitions, are they allowed? just out of curiousity...

mr__j5

• menacing presence
  • Peter J
  • tall, bendy and weak
#410 Re: Kneepad/Kneebar trickery
December 26, 2012, 05:16:30 pm
I can't see anything in the rules that says the only equipment allowed for WC bouldering is shoes and a chalk bag, but I would expect that that is the case.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#411 Re: Kneepad/Kneebar trickery
December 27, 2012, 07:50:11 am
All this talk of twats and not a single mention of BenF whose names is officially spelt T.W.A.T.  What is the world coming to!! :wall:

iwasmexican

• obsessive maniac
#412 Re: Kneepad/Kneebar trickery
February 25, 2013, 07:20:05 pm

:bow: masterful  :bow:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#413 Re: Kneepad/Kneebar trickery
March 18, 2013, 09:32:51 am

1:40 stick that in yer pipes.

turnipturned

• forum abuser
#414 Re: Kneepad/Kneebar Faggotry
March 19, 2013, 09:12:07 am
Kneepads just change the goalposts of the climbable and, possibly, make the game more interesting, just like chalk, sticky rubber, bouldering pads and the rest
and extendable ladders I think they are a complete game changer (especially for highballs), so far it seems that its mainly a UK thing!!

Anyway a quick question for experienced kneebarers! Any advice on how to make them not slip? I presume Barrows is wearing shorts in the middle of winter as the pads tend to grip better to skin rather than your trousers?

abarro81

• forum hero
#415 Re: Kneepad/Kneebar trickery
March 19, 2013, 10:43:05 am
If you really want zero slippage it's a big faff, but here's the American beta:
1. Shave your upper leg. This is essential to avoid severe pain after the next steps.
2. Get some of this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mueller-Sports-Strapping-Support-Adhesive/dp/B001C0I450/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363687401&sr=8-1
Spray it on your leg before you put the pad on. Don't do this if you have a pretty dress to wear in the near future as it leaves a weird black mark that looks like you have a bruised leg.
3. Gaffa tape: once round the leg, then once half on the leg half on the pad and once round the pad. The final round may need to be half on the leg and half on the pad instead of all on the pad on some kneebars as otherwise you'll find the gaffa in the way.

You're only likely to need one of steps 2 and 3 unless it's hardcore knees and then you want both. (e.g. for pilgrimage I used spray and gaffa on the right leg but just using spray was fine for the left. Spray may not be needed for the 5.10 ones as they have a less slippy interior material than the rock and resole ones I've been using recently.

As for when they're over trousers, I'm not sure how to stop slippage well as it's the trouser that usually does the sliding rather than the pad

scottygillery

• player
#416 Re: Kneepad/Kneebar trickery
March 19, 2013, 12:47:21 pm
If you really want zero slippage it's a big faff, but here's the American beta:
1. Shave your upper leg. This is essential to avoid severe pain after the next steps.
2. Get some of this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mueller-Sports-Strapping-Support-Adhesive/dp/B001C0I450/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363687401&sr=8-1
Spray it on your leg before you put the pad on. Don't do this if you have a pretty dress to wear in the near future as it leaves a weird black mark that looks like you have a bruised leg.
3. Gaffa tape: once round the leg, then once half on the leg half on the pad and once round the pad. The final round may need to be half on the leg and half on the pad instead of all on the pad on some kneebars as otherwise you'll find the gaffa in the way.

You're only likely to need one of steps 2 and 3 unless it's hardcore knees and then you want both. (e.g. for pilgrimage I used spray and gaffa on the right leg but just using spray was fine for the left. Spray may not be needed for the 5.10 ones as they have a less slippy interior material than the rock and resole ones I've been using recently.

As for when they're over trousers, I'm not sure how to stop slippage well as it's the trouser that usually does the sliding rather than the pad

wow, Alex you are a bigger nerd than I realised ;)

csurfleet

• menacing presence
#417 Re: Kneepad/Kneebar trickery
March 20, 2013, 04:43:35 pm
This kneebarring bollocks is becoming more appealing the geekier it becomes!

Doylo

• forum hero
#418 Re: Kneepad/Kneebar trickery
March 20, 2013, 05:43:16 pm
Ideal trousers for 5.10 pad??

petejh

• forum hero
#419 Re: Kneepad/Kneebar trickery
March 20, 2013, 07:55:15 pm
Rubber ones?

You of all people must own a pair.

Doylo

• forum hero
#420 Re: Kneepad/Kneebar trickery
March 20, 2013, 08:06:03 pm
I do. They limit flexibility too much ...

abarro81

• forum hero
#421 Re: Kneepad/Kneebar trickery
March 20, 2013, 09:27:46 pm
Even with that hole you cut out on the ass?

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#422 Re: Kneepad/Kneebar trickery
March 21, 2013, 08:22:45 am
It’s only a matter of time before someone invents kneebarring trousers with stitched in pads.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#423 Re: Kneepad/Kneebar trickery
March 21, 2013, 08:40:38 am
Snickers?

ziggytang

• addict
#424 Re: Kneepad/Kneebar trickery
March 21, 2013, 09:48:39 am
It’s only a matter of time before someone invents kneebarring trousers with stitched in pads.

Pretty certain I saw Doylo in the cave with jeans on that had bits of old five ten rubber glued all over the knees...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal