UKBouldering.com

Kneepad/Kneebar trickery (Read 134362 times)

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk
#150 Kneepad/Kneebar trickery
November 26, 2012, 09:37:37 pm
This thread is totally worth it now that three nine has been described as Barrows' attack poodle. That made my day.

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk
#151 Kneepad/Kneebar trickery
November 26, 2012, 09:40:43 pm
Think moon used the toe and MlM the heel?

Apologies guys, my BP history is whack...

Aside:

Mark used the toe. Ben used the toe shortly afterwards. I don't know which visionary climber first used the heel. It was probably someone inflexible.

petejh

• forum hero
#152 Re: Kneepad/Kneebar trickery
November 26, 2012, 09:45:31 pm
Pete - you're very focused on the resting knees. I use 2 others on DC - at the bottom of LF (this is Caff's invention I think?) and the knee on TC. Even without the rest I found these (with pads) bring the problem down to (at a guess) solid 8a+ instead of hard 8b, though it would still be a 'pure' power endurance problem. In a similar question to AJMs (which you didn't answer, presuming I could get that rest without pads - I have no idea if I could or not) - would this be as objectionable to you?

No it wouldn't, getting whatever benefit you can from just your legs would be better style in my blatantly screwed up view. Weird but there you are.

petejh

• forum hero
#153 Re: Kneepad/Kneebar trickery
November 26, 2012, 09:49:16 pm
AJM - it's the fact that an extra piece of kit is needed (we assume - maybe not as above) just for the purpose of manufacturing a rest, rather than for actually climbing the problem. I'm not trying to convince anyone else anymore  :lol: 

abarro81

• forum hero
#154 Re: Kneepad/Kneebar trickery
November 26, 2012, 09:50:21 pm
Even without the rest I found these (with pads) bring the problem down to (at a guess) solid 8a+ instead of hard 8b, though it would still be a 'pure' power endurance problem...- would this be as objectionable to you?

No it wouldn't, getting whatever benefit you can from just your legs would be better style in my blatantly screwed up view. Weird but there you are.

Hold on, let me get this right, so me using pads but not the rest wouldn't  be as objectionable to you? Or have we got crossed wires here?

Jack.G

• regular
#155 Re: Kneepad/Kneebar trickery
November 26, 2012, 09:53:11 pm
Well summarised, thanks Bonjoy. I will take that away and close my part.

petejh

• forum hero
#156 Re: Kneepad/Kneebar trickery
November 26, 2012, 09:54:45 pm
Hold on, let me get this right, so me using pads but not the rest wouldn't  be as objectionable to you? Or have we got crossed wires here?

Yep apologies we've got our wires crossed. I read it as being able to make something from the rest without aid of the extra knee pads. Which would be less objectionable. To me. I think.

abarro81

• forum hero
#157 Re: Kneepad/Kneebar trickery
November 26, 2012, 10:03:51 pm
I can't understand ANY objection to using knees without pads. That's fully moronic in my view (but given you couldn't work out who started the tit for tat maybe that fits?  :chair:  :hug: )

AJM - it's the fact that an extra piece of kit is needed (we assume - maybe not as above) just for the purpose of manufacturing a rest, rather than for actually climbing the problem.   

The right pad was on for the knee on LF and TC (for climbing). Then I found the rest, which I'm 90% sure would be possible without a left pad as most of the weight is on the right leg, i.e. the rest does not rely on wearing a pad 'for' the rest - you'd have it on anyway. Not that any of that really matters at all, except to you apparently.

petejh

• forum hero
#158 Re: Kneepad/Kneebar trickery
November 26, 2012, 10:12:14 pm
I'm not or ever have said that rests without pads are objectionable. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh killmenowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#159 Re: Kneepad/Kneebar trickery
November 26, 2012, 10:15:03 pm
If this thread gets to ten pages then I'm deleting my account ( this would be no great loss to ukb )

petejh

• forum hero
#160 Re: Kneepad/Kneebar trickery
November 26, 2012, 10:17:21 pm
Well if we keep padding it out it might.

abarro81

• forum hero
#161 Re: Kneepad/Kneebar trickery
November 26, 2012, 10:22:40 pm
Which would be less objectionable... I think.
Strong implication that it's still somewhat objectionable.

it's the fact that an extra piece of kit is needed [..] just for the purpose of manufacturing a rest, rather than for actually climbing the problem. 
!
I.E. objecting to using the pads for the rests rather than using the pads full stop :-\

That's from this one page, since your whole first few pages was basically built around bashing rests, not pads specifically, I'm sure I can find more.

I'm out.

tomtom

• forum hero
#162 Re: Kneepad/Kneebar trickery
November 26, 2012, 10:24:53 pm
Well if we keep padding it out it might.

I think you should leg it.

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#163 Re: Kneepad/Kneebar trickery
November 26, 2012, 10:59:14 pm
I've really enjoyed this thread so far. Good to see so many opinions.  :popcorn:

Still got to get my head round how this changes stuff, so can only imagine how it feels closer to the coal-face. Hey-ho.

Well done, Alex. Without this I would have just been watching another bushtucker trial.  :shrug:

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#164 Re: Kneepad/Kneebar trickery
November 26, 2012, 11:04:42 pm
Mark used the toe. Ben used the toe shortly afterwards. I don't know which visionary climber first used the heel.

Darren Stevenson

petejh

• forum hero
#165 Re: Kneepad/Kneebar trickery
November 26, 2012, 11:36:47 pm
I.E. objecting to using the pads for the rests rather than using the pads full stop :-\

That's from this one page, since your whole first few pages was basically built around bashing rests, not pads specifically, I'm sure I can find more.

I'm out.

I'll spell it out for you if you must be so profoundly thickheaded - I personally think that using extraneous pads to either:
a) manufacture rests on boulder problems, or
b) make use of knee bars which don't really work very well without the extraneous pads, on boulder problems

is a poorer style of climbing boulder problems. I think the above is fine on routes. How much clearer can I be than that. Agree/disagree I really couldn't give a monkeys, and anyone actually getting hot under the collar about it is retarded. Find a million and one holes in it too because it's not a watertight theory it's my viewpoint, other viewpoints are available.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 11:42:29 pm by petejh »

petejh

• forum hero
#166 Re: Kneepad/Kneebar trickery
November 26, 2012, 11:38:27 pm
I kneed to end this torture.

Tom de Gay

• stalker
#167 Re: Kneepad/Kneebar trickery
November 27, 2012, 12:07:08 am

Mark used the toe. Ben used the toe shortly afterwards. I don't know which visionary climber first used the heel.

It was Steve Mac. Seriously.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#168 Re: Kneepad/Kneebar trickery
November 27, 2012, 07:55:15 am
You should be allowed one pad, whether it's a knee pad or a bouldering pad is up to you.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#169 Re: Kneepad/Kneebar trickery
November 27, 2012, 08:36:47 am
"the dogs bark, but the caravan moves on..."

Three Nine

• forum hero
#170 Re: Kneepad/Kneebar trickery
November 27, 2012, 09:04:25 am

PeteJH, I think we all need to know how hard you climb so we can decide what weight your views carry. 

Three Nine

• forum hero
#171 Re: Kneepad/Kneebar trickery
November 27, 2012, 09:26:07 am
Just seen the 'attack poodle' comment, ace  :tease: (I'm not just saying that to show how i'm not fussed).

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#172 Re: Kneepad/Kneebar trickery
November 27, 2012, 09:35:01 am

PeteJH, I think we all need to know how hard you climb so we can decide what weight your views carry.

No we don't (as many already know, do a bit of searching and you'll find some info on him, no need for Pete to blow his own trumpet).

Three Nine

• forum hero
#173 Re: Kneepad/Kneebar trickery
November 27, 2012, 09:45:34 am
Its just that Barrows said he thought that PeteJH probably wasn't very good at climbing, like pretty much everyone else that climbs on the Orme, and that basically his posts were motivated by jealousy. That's why I puntered Pete (earning the 'poodle' smear). As pretty much the best (strongest and most technically proficent) climber in the Cave I think Barrows' arguments count for a bit more than Pete's, that's all.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#174 Re: Kneepad/Kneebar trickery
November 27, 2012, 09:56:23 am
Its just that Barrows said he thought that PeteJH probably wasn't very good at climbing, like pretty much everyone else that climbs on the Orme, and that basically his posts were motivated by jealousy. That's why I puntered Pete (earning the 'poodle' smear). As pretty much the best (strongest and most technically proficent) climber in the Cave I think Barrows' arguments count for a bit more than Pete's, that's all.

You need to do some more research on who people are and whats been done where by whom.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal