UKBouldering.com

Waterproof spray (Read 3314 times)

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
Waterproof spray
November 05, 2012, 07:26:31 am
I have a still very good Patagonia softshell that is not waterproof, and obviously gets wet when I use it to cycle to work in the rain. I can't afford to buy a new, waterproof one.
I was wondering if anyone can advise me one particular waterproofing spray among the many that are on the market.
I'd like to know whether they are effective or not.
Thanks s lot,
Soaked Nibs.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#1 Re: Waterproof spray
November 05, 2012, 09:31:51 am
Hi Lore.

I recently used the Nikwax products to clean and reproof all my outdoor clobber, and the results have been good. It would be pointless just trying to waterproof alone, you'd have to clean it first to get the best out of it. You can clean it with soap flakes if you don't want to spend the cash on the branded stuff, just make sure you don't just hoy it in the machine with the regulat washing powder and fabric softener you may use as it will knacker it. It'll become more like a sponge and soak water up rather than repelling it! I used to use Grangers products but they seem to have vanished so the Nikwax does the job for now.

Hope that helps.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2 Re: Waterproof spray
November 05, 2012, 09:41:27 am
+1 on the Nikwax stuff. My MHW winter jacket lost it's waterproofing so gave it wash in their stuff and it's now good for another 5 or so years.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#3 Re: Waterproof spray
November 05, 2012, 11:06:19 am
They have the spray for garmets with "wicking liners". What is a wicking liner?
Sorry...

SA Chris

• forum hero
#4 Re: Waterproof spray
November 05, 2012, 11:14:42 am
I think they mean jackets with some sort of insulation on the inside like ski jackets (as opposed to shells which don't have insulation) as I don't think you want the insulation waterproof as then it doesn't absorb moisture and draw it away from you.

I could be wrong though.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#5 Re: Waterproof spray
November 05, 2012, 11:16:27 am
Ah, OK. Thanks, it makes sense.
I'm quite sure my jacket has no liner. It's just the shell.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#6 Re: Waterproof spray
November 05, 2012, 12:31:12 pm
The spray is for the 'wicking liner' ones, so you can waterproof the outside without getting it on the fleecy inside. For a shell you can just use the wash-in stuff, which is much easier- it's a pain the arse getting the coverage even with the spray.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#7 Re: Waterproof spray
November 05, 2012, 01:05:48 pm
Yeah the wash stuff is way better.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#8 Re: Waterproof spray
November 05, 2012, 01:23:41 pm
Cheers guys!

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#9 Re: Waterproof spray
November 05, 2012, 02:03:44 pm
One other thing to consider, the proofers you can buy are usually heat activated i.e tumble dryer or very cool iron. Even if the jacket says do not tumble dry, you can get away with it on a low ish heat for say 30 mins. Its the heat that make it work. I recently did this to my Berghaus soft shell and it worked a treat.

sidewinder

• obsessive maniac
#10 Re: Waterproof spray
November 05, 2012, 02:10:23 pm
I thought the down side with the wash in ones was that they somewhat waterproof the inner layers/side which compromises the breathability, perhaps something to think about if biking in them.  I was under the impression that the new nikwax formula doesnt need heat to activate (backed up here http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/gear-news/new-nikwax-proofer-lasts-five-times-longer/8225.html)
I have had pretty good results washing shells with soap flakes and then using a spray on proofer, applied to the outside while the garment is wet (As suggested on the bottle) which allows you to spread it around fairly easily.  I think the key (once the initial DWR is gone) is frequent washing/reproofing as the aftermarket DWR is nowhere near as good as the originals.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal