UKBouldering.com

Percy's Roof, 72, Cratcliffe (Read 2469 times)

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
Percy's Roof, 72, Cratcliffe
October 15, 2012, 12:36:36 am
As above: which is the start hold for the problems on this block? Is it the really low, hollow sounding, often wet massive flatty? If so, what's kosher for feet? There's a wedged block directly beneath this, slightly hidden, jammed between the two massive floor blocks which I presume are both out.

It was too wet to really try the move from that today, so we started in the higher, big pocket type hold, and crossed over to the three finger pocket immediately left of it. Thinking back, I suppose I could've tried toehooking where we started with our hands?

I've had a brief search but can't decide from the guidebook description. It seems like it'd be a helluva move from the aforementioned flatty.

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#1 Re: Percy's Roof, 72, Cratcliffe
October 15, 2012, 11:36:49 pm
Percy? Cofe? Anyone?

cofe

• forum hero
#2 Percy's Roof, 72, Cratcliffe
October 16, 2012, 07:18:50 am
Not done it, but from memory it's fairly obvious at the back. P-Crack uses a hold in the lip, one in the roof and toe hooks in a big pocket. It does get wet/mossy down there. One for dry weather in winter.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#3 Re: Percy's Roof, 72, Cratcliffe
October 16, 2012, 08:42:50 am
From what I remember (it was ages ago) hands are on the left and feet out right in heeltoes, some sort of egyptian in roof, hard move into a pocket, some sort of crossover/through  :shrug:

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#4 Re: Percy's Roof, 72, Cratcliffe
October 16, 2012, 02:27:48 pm
Might wait for a dry spell and go back and look more carefully.

Bonjoy, sounds like the 7B (finish up the crack) maybe?

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
#5 Re: Percy's Roof, 72, Cratcliffe
October 16, 2012, 05:59:07 pm
Hi Drew. I started P Crack and 72 Direct from the juggy pocket/ slot high up on the back wall. Not in the roof, but not low on the back wall either, if that makes sense. Feet on the same block only.

For 72 Direct, traverse leftwards under the roof then out to and up the hanging arete above a spooky landing.

For P Crack head straight out on nice holds using double toe hooks in the big hueco over to the right. This seems spooky because your legs are above the block on the floor, but it's fine. When you get to the crack move to the right using a nice finger lock and layback to glory. Or moss.

Both took multiple cleaning visits before I found them in a climbable state, but are really good problems.

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#6 Re: Percy's Roof, 72, Cratcliffe
October 17, 2012, 11:08:53 am
Cool. That sounds like where I started for 72. Both hands in a jug/pocket/hole, cross over to three finger pocket, heel-toe lock in the starting handhold, reach out to arete with left, right hand to jug under lip, left up to slopey rail, traverse left, left toe into pocket, mantel through wet leaves. The arete on 72 Direct was utterly covered in moss, I don't think a Lapis Brush was quite going to be sufficient. Might go back with a broom. Or a sheep

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal