UKBouldering.com

Easy Webcam/microphone setup for Desktop PC (Read 1080 times)

James Malloch

• forum hero
Easy Webcam/microphone setup for Desktop PC
October 27, 2020, 10:52:23 am
There's a few of my elderly relatives who would like to get set up for video calls on their desktop PC. They are fine on computers and use them regularly for council work, documents, the odd blog post, internet, youtube etc. However now that some communications are moving to Zoom they would like to get set up (they've just been using a tablet or phone up until now).

I use a laptop with a webcam & just plug a USB headset in so it's nice and easy.

Is it basically the same on a desktop? I was thinking of ordering a webcam & headset for them, but as I can't be there to help, I'm unsure whether these things just generally work straight away, or whether settings need to be changed etc to use, say the headset over the speakers.

I noticed a lot of webcams have microphones built in as well. Could I just get one of these and then they could use the existing speakers for audio? Would the computer be smart enough to just get the settings right or would manual intervention be needed?

I'm a bit crap on computers and find things generally just work as I need them, but I'd like to order something pretty idiot proof so I can easily help remotely.

Any advice would be appreciated on how best to help get them set up.

remus

• forum hero
I bought this a couple of weeks ago https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07VTPQ9NQ/ Plugged it in and it worked straight away (windows 10). It's got a mic built in, though it wouldn't win any awards for sound quality.

tomtom

• forum hero
I bought a (different from Remus) one off amazon for £20 and it was shite. VGA quality (despite saying HD) and turd audio quality.

I then deskified my laptop and read a load of NON amazon reviews and bought myself one of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07Y4QY4VK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And its much better (though £50 or so.. edit - just checked and its £35 I think..).

It seems that with WFH etc.. all the stock of branded decent webcams disappeared really fast and they've stryggled to catch up - so the market hole has been filled by ones that should sell for £5 going for £20 etc...

Like Remus' one mine just plugs into the USB and instantly picks up the mic and camera - and uses laptop speakers etc..

One final suggestion - if their laptop has an HDMI output (and assuming their TV has an HDMI input - if its less than 20 years old it will) then that makes family zoom time MUCH better.. and the web cam can quite happily sit on top of the telly and the sound comes through the TV speakers. We've done this for a few family zoom chats. If you have lots of people it also works better as the small boxes of peoples faces are larger obvs... (this might be a step too far for your relatives - but its really not that hard...)

James Malloch

• forum hero
Many thanks for the responses.

I might order the one you linked TT & see how it goes. They are contemplating getting a laptop (just on desktop at the moment) which would solved their immediate problems but not sure how it would be longer term.

Like the idea of linking it to the TV too - sounds like a nice way of catching up with people. Luckily we're really close now but will be moving away soon.

tomtom

• forum hero
Many thanks for the responses.

I might order the one you linked TT & see how it goes. They are contemplating getting a laptop (just on desktop at the moment) which would solved their immediate problems but not sure how it would be longer term.

Like the idea of linking it to the TV too - sounds like a nice way of catching up with people. Luckily we're really close now but will be moving away soon.

Cool. The TV thing works really well - means you can slum on the sofa instead of huddled around a desk...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal