UKBouldering.com

Recycing Mobiles (Read 3200 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Recycing Mobiles
October 01, 2012, 02:45:59 pm
Decided to get rid of some old phones that are lying around and priced up an old HTC Hero on a few sites.

Most were offering ~£15 which seems a bit crap, but then phones have come on leaps and bounds and its pretty old now.  However, one site (CashForMobiles.com) was offering a whopping £65.20 for a working HTC Hero.

Posted this morning  :2thumbsup:

Thought it could be useful to collect other good deals on recycling mobile phones here.

underground

• forum hero
#1 Re: Recycing Mobiles
October 01, 2012, 03:57:27 pm
Ace heads up slackers

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#2 Re: Recycing Mobiles
October 01, 2012, 04:04:37 pm
Had you in mind whilst writing that, returning the favour after you got me a good deal in the first place ;)

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#3 Re: Recycing Mobiles
October 01, 2012, 04:08:58 pm
I normally sell my old phones on ebay and seem to get a pretty good price for them

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#4 Re: Recycing Mobiles
October 01, 2012, 04:17:09 pm
Had thought of that, but was put off by all the crap Golt had.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#5 Re: Recycing Mobiles
October 01, 2012, 04:21:00 pm
well I've sold loads and had no bother.
Eg I'm looked at selling an old Nokia N86 8mp, cash for mobiles offering £26, ebay averaging around £40ish.
No brainer if you ask me.
It looks like they may have made a mistake on the price they are offering for your HTC, it seems a lot higher than ebay average

andy_e

• forum hero
#6 Re: Recycing Mobiles
October 01, 2012, 04:25:31 pm
I just got rid of mine via envirofone. £20 (£23 on that site above, doh). I could have sold it on eBay but I'd have had to carry around the guilt of passing on that terrible phone to an unsuspecting victim.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#7 Re: Recycing Mobiles
October 01, 2012, 04:50:00 pm
well I've sold loads and had no bother.
Eg I'm looked at selling an old Nokia N86 8mp, cash for mobiles offering £26, ebay averaging around £40ish.
No brainer if you ask me.
It looks like they may have made a mistake on the price they are offering for your HTC, it seems a lot higher than ebay average

Golt's experience wasn't the only one that deterred me. I've heard/read of plenty of mobile phone scams on fleabay.

Which average (mean, mode or median), the used buy it now prices seem to be around the £70 mark (a couple at £65 and several higher).

Anyway, I digress, eBay is certainly an option for selling unused phones as well as shopping around on the various dedicated sites.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#8 Re: Recycing Mobiles
October 01, 2012, 05:23:59 pm
Tell us when they pay up, I've heard a few issues where some companies quote a good price then find excuses on why they shouldn't honour that price once they have received the handset. Been meaning to get rid of several phones for a while.

Interestingly on that site my old Nokia E71 is worth more than my current HTC Desire! Probably as the E71 is much better built.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#9 Re: Recycing Mobiles
October 02, 2012, 10:10:07 am
What's the best way of ensuring you've wiped everything off your phone now that they store so much shit?

tomtom

• forum hero
#10 Re: Recycing Mobiles
October 02, 2012, 10:22:40 am
What's the best way of ensuring you've wiped everything off your phone now that they store so much shit?

Theres normally a factory restore/reset option some where...

Though apparently goat prOn is especaily resistant to wiping... ;)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#11 Re: Recycing Mobiles
October 02, 2012, 10:26:00 am

What tomtom said.

Factory reset, and remember to remove the SIM and SD card before sending it back.

Tell us when they pay up, I've heard a few issues where some companies quote a good price then find excuses on why they shouldn't honour that price once they have received the handset.

Will do, thats the one concern that I have, but I charged it and checked it booted fine after the factory reset so they've nothing much to complain about.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#12 Re: Recycing Mobiles
October 02, 2012, 10:38:12 am
I've sold phones on eBay with no bother, however I ensure I have the funds in my bank account before posting (advised up front in the advert) and that the buyer has a agood rating etc (also advised).

Also used O2 for recycling the odd phone, I didn't think would go for much on eBay. Above average price and a big (reputable?) company. I guess when I've found higher prices with other less well known companies I've thought they might be too good to be true and I've read stories of folk being offered top dollar and then the company, once the phone is received, saying it's not as described and sending cheques for much less than the original quote.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#13 Re: Recycing Mobiles
October 10, 2012, 12:51:36 pm
Tell us when they pay up, I've heard a few issues where some companies quote a good price then find excuses on why they shouldn't honour that price once they have received the handset.

Just got an email from them saying I'll be getting a cheque for £65.20 in the next few days.  :2thumbsup:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#14 Re: Recycing Mobiles
October 15, 2012, 08:03:10 am
Cheque arrived over the weekend for the stated £65.20 for anyone else considering using this company.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#15 Re: Recycing Mobiles
October 15, 2012, 08:38:00 am
Nice work, thats a cracking price.

I managed to flog my last phone on eBay with no hassle, maybe I had been unlucky previosuly but I am still wary of it on the whole.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#16 Re: Recycing Mobiles
October 15, 2012, 09:49:45 am
Good work, sounds easy, I'm tempted to get rid of mine. They are locked to the 'Three' network so I'm guessing I wouldn't get a great price on ebay compared to an unlocked phone.

underground

• forum hero
#17 Re: Recycing Mobiles
October 15, 2012, 06:36:25 pm
Toby I unlocked my htc for free just by signing up for a free Netflix trial and the website (trial pay) emailed the unlock code. Let me find it and ill post here

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#18 Re: Recycing Mobiles
October 24, 2012, 05:26:14 pm
Quick update, what I traded in was an HTC Hero (my wife's old phone).

I'd bequethed my phone to my brother, and it was actually the T-Mobile G2 Touch which is....an HTC Hero, simply branded up for T-Mobile.

Initially cashformobile.com informed him that because it wasn't an HTC Hero they would offer him nothing for it.

He wrote to them saying that yes its a T-Mobile G2 Touch, which is an HTC Hero, and......they've honoured the original amount.  :clap2:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal