UKBouldering.com

Correct use of grips for campus and fingerboards (Read 25597 times)

douglas

• obsessive maniac
Thanks for the advice.

psychomansam

• forum hero
heehee

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=67550

Read the answer to the second question!

:ohmy:

rodma

• forum hero
 :clap2:

awesome that, I've tried those in the past, but never without my fingers feeling dangerously fudgy afterwards. I'd love to be able to do them again.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
That first picture is brilliant!

miso soup

• obsessive maniac
 :offtopic: but I was more interested in the bit after that:

"I started to straighten up my body. Actually I was hunched. I thought because of my backside muscles got too big since I started climbing, I wanted keep my chest and body open to extending my reach. But it took a year to get better."

How do you do this?  I thought hunched shoulders were an inevitable part of being a climber.  I generally do some shoulder opening stretches after a session but I'd resigned myself to it never being enough to counteract all the hours of squeezing beforehand.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
:offtopic: but I was more interested in the bit after that:

"I started to straighten up my body. Actually I was hunched. I thought because of my backside muscles got too big since I started climbing, I wanted keep my chest and body open to extending my reach. But it took a year to get better."

How do you do this?  I thought hunched shoulders were an inevitable part of being a climber.  I generally do some shoulder opening stretches after a session but I'd resigned myself to it never being enough to counteract all the hours of squeezing beforehand.

It is a good idea to correct not just to improve reach but also as an injury prevention strategy as postural problems can place awkward loads elsewhere and shoulder imbalances may contribute to elbow injuries. This can be done via specific stretches, working on your posture and strengthening certain underdeveloped muscles though it won't happen overnight.

A good article on the subject of correcting kyphosis for bodybuilders who are also prone to suffering from the same condition. 

Yoga or pilates can be a less focussed route to achieve the same goal.

T_B

• forum hero
On Sunday I tore my first pulley (ring finger) in 26 years of climbing  :(.

Did it indoors, half crimped.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
How do you do this?  I thought hunched shoulders were an inevitable part of being a climber.

Press-ups, basically. Though yoga will do a lot more for your back health generally, whilst incorporating lots of press-up type manoeuvers.

andy_e

• forum hero
Also good for alleviating elbow pains I find.

quiffhanger

• regular
Also good for alleviating elbow pains I find.

Second that. I used to find elbow pain quite limiting when training. I now and try do roughly 2 press ups for every chin-up I do: anecdotally seem to have helped quite a lot.

In Sean McColl's training vid he does them in a very specific elbows-in kinda way. Not sure why...

-ross

rich d

• forum hero
Don't elbows in, hands together pressups work the triceps more?

a dense loner

• forum hero
Please someone just do some press ups, start worrying about subtleties later

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero

OK. Did 3 sets today alternating with sets of overhead squats (narrow grip with broomstick) in an attempt to do something about my woeful upper back / shoulder mobility.

In my younger days I used to pull-ups and no or very few press-ups, and had continually sore shoulders. A while ago I started doing pull-ups again but always did the same number of dips, and my shoulders were absolutely fine.

Now I get sore elbows from bouldering, so press-ups.

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber

I do 55 every morning :)

I do a descending pryamid set from 10 almost every morning of Pressups, Situps, and lunges...  It equals out to 55 of each.  Gets me going in the morning....

Eddies

• forum hero
Please someone just do some (Insert basic exercise), start worrying about subtleties later
That sentence applies to almost all threads under the training and injuries tab!

a dense loner

• forum hero
I know but uve just took a fair few posts off me now  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal