UKBouldering.com

Och aye the Yes! Or Noooo.... (The Scottish Independence thread) (Read 108595 times)

DaveC

• junky
  • Old skool...with emphasis on the "old".
So that will be a reasonably definite "no" then. Looking at the world as whole in its current state, probably the right result.

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
There's a few sad faces around the rig this morning.

andy popp

• forum hero
Its starting to look as though the consequences of the No might be almost as interesting and important as those that would have come from a Yes.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
I am a strong supporter of the Union.

In truth, I'd like to see a Federal Europe, I find petty tribalism a little trite.

Yet, I feel strangely disappointed...

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Cameron "wins" but still comes out of it looking like a useless tit and Gordon Brown is hailed as a hero.

Who'd have thought?  :)

petejh

• forum hero
That was disappointing, see you all in 40 years!

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
Disappointed, but glad we got 45%. If we don't see real change, there will be turmoil!

I do wonder if there was a third option, FULL Devo-MAx (not this half baked, last-minute, unexplained promise), what the outcome would have been.

Snoops

• obsessive maniac
Disappointed, but glad we got 45%. If we don't see real change, there will be turmoil!

From my (English perspective), if your getting even more change (power), then I hope we do too, and that the amount of loot heading over the border gets reanalysed  ;)

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
Yeah, me too. The Barnett formula is there to account for the money that goes from the oil fields South of the border. I don't mind scrapping it as long as we get the tax revenue ;-)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Yeah, me too. The Barnett formula is there to account for the money that goes from the oil fields South of the border. I don't mind scrapping it as long as we get the tax revenue ;-)
What are you on about? The Barnett formula has got nothing whatsoever to do with oil revenues. It's based on population split and total public spending.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
I'm relieved with the result .

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Ditto. I suspect this will be much better for Scotland too; they've achieved a big enough 'yes' vote to precipitate further devolution, but they'll keep the security and stability of a proper currency union.

tomtom

• forum hero
I'm disappointed.

But very pleased with how its made people north and south of the border have a stern look at our present system and how representative it is..

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
What are you on about? The Barnett formula has got nothing whatsoever to do with oil revenues. It's based on population split and total public spending.
Ok, fair enough.

The bottom line is, Scotland still puts more into the coffers than it gets out.

I think there will be a lot of pressure to reform the formula. I just hope Scotland, Wales and NI don't lose out.

Final thought on Public expenditure - if you think it's unfair that public expenditure per capita is higher in Scotland than England, what do you think about the fact public expenditure is [modified because the article is slight misleadng] a lot higher in London than the NE of England? http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2014/aug/07/london-gets-24-times-as-much-infrastructure-north-east-england

I think you want to look closer to home if public spending discrepancies worry you....

rich d

• forum hero
 Great result for the whole of the UK as Peirs Morgan promised to go back to America.

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
I'm deeply disappointed that the fear enslaught from the establishment won the day, but... on the positive side, the turn out was incredible and the sense of political engagement remarkable.

But what happens next?

Will those last minute promises made by the No campaign be kicked into the long grass - Hague was already back peddling on radio 4 this morning and a Tory rebellion is waiting in the wings.

petejh

• forum hero
Night of the long knives? Salmond's head on a spike on london bridge.

gme

• forum hero
I am very happy with the result. Disregarding the pros and cons i just thought it was a backward step to be creating more walls at a time where we need to all work together more.

The one bit that made me angry was i felt that the scots were running away from an issue that they should be fighting to change. Lots of people in England feel the same about the government we have and agree with many of the yes campaigns ideas but just saying "we dont like what your doing so we are not playing" and therefore looking after them selves to the detriment of others seems a bit counter to there political ideas.

a dense loner

• forum hero
Funny you should say that Pete. The only thing guys on the rig are actually saying is "fat cunt out"

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
time for me to make my move to become Dictator of All South Yorkshire and Emperor of Abyssinia

tomtom

• forum hero

But what happens next?

Will those last minute promises made by the No campaign be kicked into the long grass - Hague was already back peddling on radio 4 this morning and a Tory rebellion is waiting in the wings.

Echoing some twitter commentary this morning - I suspect the increased devoloution will be rolled into 'English MPs only voting for English matters' stuff that the Tory back benchers will demand.. and thus the process will take ages...

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

Ok, fair enough.

Stating stuff as fact or "the bottom line" when it isn't makes you sound like Salmond.

It completely depends on which set of biased statistics you want to use.

E.g. Total public expenditure in England can include tuition fees as they are spent by universities despite the fact that the ultimate cost is passed on to individuals. How can that be right when calculating who puts more in or takes more out?

It's that sort of  simplistic rhetoric and lack of research that made me so distrust the Yes campaign in the end.

As for public spending in London vs the rest of England it's hardly surprising/not good but it's also disingenuous to use those figures when they're so skewed by crossrail.

And I'm actually not concerned in the slightest about the share of public money that Scotland currently gets. There are much more important things to worry about!

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos

Ok, fair enough.

Stating stuff as fact or "the bottom line" when it isn't makes you sound like Salmond.

It completely depends on which set of biased statistics you want to use.

E.g. Total public expenditure in England can include tuition fees as they are spent by universities despite the fact that the ultimate cost is passed on to individuals. How can that be right when calculating who puts more in or takes more out?

It's that sort of  simplistic rhetoric and lack of research that made me so distrust the Yes campaign in the end.

As for public spending in London vs the rest of England it's hardly surprising/not good but it's also disingenuous to use those figures when they're so skewed by crossrail.

And I'm actually not concerned in the slightest about the share of public money that Scotland currently gets. There are much more important things to worry about!

I wish I could remove the previous posts. I'm just pissed off and venting. I agree that's it's way to complex to sort out in a few lines on a forum and that what needs to happen is a proper re-think on UK-wide spending.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
I agree.

On a lighter note, Sloper was wrong again (see the other thread) but somehow managed to back both horses because tomtom owes him a pint.

How did that happen? Bloody lawyers.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal