UKBouldering.com

Wood burning stove (Read 1883 times)

ducko

• junky
Wood burning stove
October 13, 2012, 03:13:44 pm
Afternoon folks,

I'm installing a woodburner into my house at the moment, I have just checked online and it says it has to be HETAS approved for the council, I was wondering if anyone has installed a stove and knows a cheap way to get around this as it costs around £150 apparently!

Thanks

SamT

• forum hero
#1 Re: Wood burning stove
October 13, 2012, 04:58:08 pm

Loads of info here....

http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/stove-installation-building-control.html and the various links from it.

either you notify your local authority building control dept and then do it yourself - ensuring it conforms to Part J regs (and Part F ventilation) and a LA building control officer will inspect and sign it off.

Or

You get it installed by a HETAS certified installer - and he'll sign it off for you

Or

You do it yourself and dont tell anyone about it, but expect issues if you come to sell the house and you don't have the necessary paper work. 

If you are in a smoke control zone (most cities) you'll need a DEFRA approved stove which ensures it burns cleanly, or use smokeless fuel only. (logs are not smokeless).

That stoves online site is really useful.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#2 Re: Wood burning stove
October 13, 2012, 07:13:04 pm
make sure you don't kill yourselve or the rest of your household with carbon monoxide

SamT

• forum hero
#3 Re: Wood burning stove
October 13, 2012, 07:56:07 pm

CO Detector is part of Hetas sign off, however, if your lining your flue (highly recommend doing this), and you have a modern stove, the chances of any CO issues are very very slim. 

ducko

• junky
#4 Re: Wood burning stove
October 13, 2012, 10:59:22 pm
thanks for the advice guys, i have the hearth made so im aiming to get someone to slap the stove in and sign it all off, dont worry i have done it safe i dont want to kill myself or any (most) visitors  ;)

tomtom

• forum hero
#5 Wood burning stove
October 13, 2012, 11:06:34 pm
My neighbour (in 'ull) had a c.£400 burner, lined chimney, slate slab and the surround plastered and tidied for £800 total last year... I thought that was a pretty good deal....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal