UKBouldering.com

Cycle to work scheme, got 1k to spend, on what is the question though. (Read 12271 times)

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
This whole affair gets more frustrating  :wall:

I am heading to Wheelbase at Staveley to have a gander at some road bikes. Quite fancying the Cannondale CAAD8 as recommended.

http://www.wheelbase.co.uk/product_15694.htm

They accept the Cycle Scheme voucher so all good.

However, a quick google search reveals what appears to be the same bike or near enough (Please enlighten me if they are different) at Royles for £150 less?!

http://www.royles.biz/product/7192/Cannondale_CAAD_8_Tiagra_C_BBQ_2011

These guys take the voucher as well, or at least I think they do.

I'm hoping Wheelbase can do some sort of deal tomorrow, but at present, I am begrudged to use my voucher as the prices seem to fluctuate massively  :-\

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Shopping around is fristrating?  Surely its simply a case of whether or not saving the £150 is worth the effort, if it is then why are you frustrated by it?

Perhaps ask Wheelbase if they have a price-match/"we won't be beaten" policy?  If they're local this will engender you to use them for servicing and parts in the future.

chappers

• forum hero
I remember chappers got very very angry with his bike to work scheme because he had to pay a lot for some reason.

ha! true, i did.

at the time the govt changed the t&c's basically you stood to pay a percentage amount of the total retail value of the bike at the end of the loan. this was to the tune of 25% (i think). so for me...bike = £1000. paid back about £700 through the loan and then stood to pay back £250 at the end...where is the saving??

cycle scheme have over come this problem, it works thus:
i have paid a bridging loan of 7%. in one lump sum at the end of the loan term with my employer.
so i now "hire" the bike from cyclescheme.co.uk with no additional payments for the next three years, at which point i "buy" the bike from them at a cost of...7% (which they have taken already).

why they want ownership of my fucked up cyclocross race bike defeats me? it would be worth about 50 quid judging by the dent in the top tube!

ah well, nothing is ever quite as good as its cracked up to be, but not as bad it could be!

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
 :2thumbsup:

I now have a Cannondale CAAD 10 sitting in my kitchen, yipee!!!!!!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Anyone got experience of buying two bikes through the same scheme?

Mrs S can do so through her work scheme however the guy at Halfords said that they (scheme administrators) can be a tad suspicious if you were to buy say a kids bike and one for yourself (obviously) or the blokes and birds version of the same one (also quite obvious).

But if she wanted a bigger version of the same MTB for when she rides to work on the road and a 4 inch smaller frame one for riding uphill through the park....

Haven't broached the subject with the shop yet but it seems a plan.

Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
I think your sister-in-law's husband did exactly that after negotiating with the man at Halfords.

You just have to say that both bikes are for Brian and that you're Brian and so is your wife

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
She mentioned some idiot had managed it so it must be possible. I'll give him a call.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal