UKBouldering.com

Broken phone advice needed (Read 2906 times)

Wood FT

• forum hero
Broken phone advice needed
September 13, 2012, 10:42:13 am
Did a not-so-smart thing and sat on my smart phone at the crag while sitting on my bag trying to avoid a dusty arse. Anywho, the LCD screen is cracked and was at first just half on then died line by line, it's now entirely blank  :wavecry:.  It's a Galaxy S2, it still charges and I can connect to my computer fine.

I've looked at getting the parts online and doing the job myself (£100+ ebay for LED & Digitizer) but further reading on various shouty forums has guided me towards taking it to a Carphone Warehouse to get it fixed, maybe the one on fargate (£79.99 parts + labour apparently??)

Has anyone got experience of this or have any other advice? I can't be the only knob head who's broke their expensive uninsured distractormathingy. 

oh yeah insurance, wouldacouldashouda. . . .mostly shouda.

Cheers

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#1 Re: Broken phone advice needed
September 13, 2012, 11:04:28 am
*Disclaimer - this may be of no use...*

I dropped my iphone and shattered the screen the day before an appointment with the apple store over a faulty camera. The faulty camera would have led to a free new phone but once I presented the phone with cracked screen they wouldn't entertain the fact that the camera was broken and ended up charging £120 for a replacement.... I did/do have insurance but as the excess was £100 anyway, I decided to keep the no claims and pay up. To say I was a bit gutted was an understatement.

Now the potentially (tenuously) useful bit - if I'd paid someone other than apple to fix the screen I would have voided my warranty. Don't if this will be the case with Samsung as they're not as well known for being bastards...

I also managed to drop my phone in a lake whilst fishing on Tuesday but after a night in a bag of rice and a day in front of a dehumidifier, it appears to be fully functional again...

Hope that was in some way useful (in a cathartic fashion...)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#2 Re: Broken phone advice needed
September 13, 2012, 11:53:05 am
Do you have home contents insurance as phones are often covered by this? The excess might be cheaper than getting it fixed and you get a brand new phone. This is also the reason that mobile phone insurance is even more of a con than most insurance and is pointless.

chris j

• forum abuser
#3 Re: Broken phone advice needed
September 13, 2012, 12:46:46 pm
Now the potentially (tenuously) useful bit - if I'd paid someone other than apple to fix the screen I would have voided my warranty. Don't if this will be the case with Samsung as they're not as well known for being bastards...

From Carphone Warehouse's paperwork (my Samsung Tab is in with them after I soft-bricked it trying to update to Android 4...)

Carphone Warehouse have express repair centres where if you call in apparently they will repair the phone within 48 hours. If not then they have a central repair centre to send the phone off to where they will repair within 14 days, if they can't do the job then they will send it back to the manufacturer.

http://selfhelp.carphonewarehouse.com/SelfHelp/request.do?view()=c{a34eb4e0-ce0b-11de-e56d-000000000000}

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#4 Re: Broken phone advice needed
September 13, 2012, 12:52:08 pm
I have replaced screens in loads of phones(not a GSII yet tho).
£100 sounds like too much money for screen and digitizer, do you need both(depending on the phone, some are bonded together).
I usually buy new LCD or digitizers or both from ebay. I always buy genuine parts.
Most LCD seller include the screwdriver you need in with LCD.

tomtom

• forum hero
#5 Broken phone advice needed
September 13, 2012, 01:30:54 pm
Have a google for independent repairers. Mrs TT got her ifern buttons fixed for £30, they did screens for 3's at £40 and for 4's £70... You'll find someone to do it for 60-70 I recon..

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#6 Re: Broken phone advice needed
September 13, 2012, 01:35:24 pm
Have a google for independent repairers. Mrs TT got her ifern buttons fixed for £30, they did screens for 3's at £40 and for 4's £70... You'll find someone to do it for 60-70 I recon..

Good job its only got one button (on the front) :clown:

Wood FT

• forum hero
#7 Re: Broken phone advice needed
September 13, 2012, 02:10:06 pm
cheers ukbeasts, i'll look into these avenues

tomtom

• forum hero
#8 Re: Broken phone advice needed
September 13, 2012, 02:16:32 pm

Good job its only got one button (on the front) :clown:

The guy who repaired it was c.25, medium sized house in the country, 3 yr old TT in the drive... he said he did 10-20 jobs a day.. looked like he was doing pretty well!

THe ifern must be a boon to repariers, as theres only two (really) models, but probably 10million or so in the country.. so limited range of spares required... straightforward range of repairs...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal