UKBouldering.com

weed smokers! (Read 17057 times)

boulderingbacon

• menacing presence
weed smokers!
September 08, 2012, 10:02:03 pm
what is it with climbing and smoking weed? i just dont get it and it really winds me up when your at a crag and then people spark up. even if they hide round the corner everyone can smell it and i feel its giving all climbers a bad name. i have no problem with people doing what they like in there own homes just annoys me that the image of the sport suffers because of it.

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#1 Re: weed smokers!
September 08, 2012, 10:26:38 pm
I wholeheartedly agree

andy popp

• forum hero
#2 Re: weed smokers!
September 08, 2012, 10:29:51 pm
Maybe I'm out of touch, but is it really that bad?

Also, I guess I don't really give a fuck about the image of the sport.

boulderingbacon

• menacing presence
#3 Re: weed smokers!
September 08, 2012, 10:39:06 pm
no its not bad if you do it in your own home or away from others who dont want to be tarred with the same brush. im sure this is the reason its not an Olympic sport still.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#4 Re: weed smokers!
September 08, 2012, 10:43:59 pm
I think I'd rather 'the image of the sport' included climbers being the types to have the odd spliff, than climbers being so uptight that they 'get really wound up' by someone having a spliff. Jeez.

tomtom

• forum hero
#5 weed smokers!
September 08, 2012, 10:48:14 pm
 Legalities aside I've found dogs to be far more of a nuisance...

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#6 Re: weed smokers!
September 08, 2012, 10:57:36 pm
There are some pluses sometimes... I went climbing once with two lads from Lyon who were in Buoux for the weekend- with a pipe, amongst other things. They were keen for a tour of the crag classics - but just belayed, and smoked, and belayed some more. I did a 3*** classic in  every sector. What a day.  Merci les gars!

dave

#7 Re: weed smokers!
September 08, 2012, 11:10:35 pm
im sure this is the reason its not an Olympic sport still.

If this is the case then I'm taking up smoking.

fried

• forum hero
#8 Re: weed smokers!
September 08, 2012, 11:41:26 pm
'cos you're never going to get an olympic sport where anyone takes drugs are you?

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
#9 Re: weed smokers!
September 08, 2012, 11:54:00 pm
Cigarettes, alcohol are all worse drugs man, its all the governments fault.

What was your point?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#10 Re: weed smokers!
September 09, 2012, 08:00:36 am
I take exception to people farting at the crag, it really smells.  If only they'd keep it to themselves and guff only in the comfort of their own home.  Hiding round the corner to trump just doesn't work, everyone can still smell it.  Its giving climbers a bad name and ruins the image of the sport.

I'm pretty sure this is the real reason why climbing isn't an olympic sport yet!

::)

ferret

• forum abuser
#11 Re: weed smokers!
September 09, 2012, 08:25:02 am

+1

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#12 Re: weed smokers!
September 09, 2012, 08:25:39 am
no its not bad if you do it in your own home or away from others who dont want to be tarred with the same brush. im sure this is the reason its not an Olympic sport still.

Didn't the winner of the first Olympic Half Pipe Snowboard comp have his medal taken off him for testing positive for weed?

Still an Olympic sport

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#13 Re: weed smokers!
September 09, 2012, 08:51:47 am
That pot-head Chris Sharma is ruining the image of climbing.  :tease:

(He was disqualified from a bouldering comp around 2001 for testing positive for THC, like its a performance enhancing drug  ::) )

tregiffian

• stalker
  • Struggling
#14 Re: weed smokers!
September 09, 2012, 09:04:54 am
I`m in the dog camp.

namnok

• forum abuser
  • John May Lives
#15 Re: weed smokers!
September 09, 2012, 09:25:44 am

Didn't the winner of the first Olympic Half Pipe Snowboard comp have his medal taken off him for testing positive for weed?

Still an Olympic sport

didnt he have it reinstated cos it was from passive smoking?

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#16 Re: weed smokers!
September 09, 2012, 09:45:39 am
This isn't very well thought out, but....

Generally, I dislike weed smokers. However,  I find the ones I meet through climbing to be mostly good, likeable people.

I do have a big problem with people smoking weed in front of the kids. Cigarettes too, but more so with weed. I work in substance misuse services and meet a lot of young adults whose lives have been seriously interrupted by becoming habitual weed smokers whilst still at school. Anything I can do to reduce the chance of my kids going the same way will be pursued with some vigour - including stopping people smoking weed at the crag when I'm out with the kids.

Most of my less-than-healthy substance use came about initially through climbing. I'm not implying that climbing is a "gateway drug", but if I'd taken up these habits at the age of 14 rather than 17 then my weak will and social immaturity might well have led me into a boat load of trouble. There's no predicting which older kids/adults a child will latch on to as a role model, so in my mind everyone at the crag has some responsibility for the children around them. Hopefully my kids will be better prepared to deal with the real world, but I'd still like to reduce their exposure to illegal drug use.

I appreciate that the presence of children at the crag will annoy many people.

As I say, this isn't a well thought out post, but you get the idea

tc

• junky
#17 Re: weed smokers!
September 09, 2012, 10:08:23 am

I don't think smoking weed will ever become an Olympic sport.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#18 Re: weed smokers!
September 09, 2012, 10:27:31 am
+1 on Andy popp and johnny browns comments. Has climbing really become so seriuosly dull and mainstream that people take offence at having a wee toot at the crag. I think every climber of the 70s would be turning in their grave( assuming they are dead) at this thread.

psychomansam

• forum hero
#19 Re: weed smokers!
September 09, 2012, 12:22:34 pm

total troll.

It's not a brush, it's a splif and if you're getting tar in your lungs then A. They used too much tobacco and B. you're standing too close.

Personally I dislike people climbing over and cluttering up the beautiful wild scenery. I don't mind when they do it at indoor walls or in their homes, but it's ruining our countryside.  :blink:

Also, everyone climbing inside only would increase the chance of a strong olympic team.  :slap:

i.munro

• junky
#20 Re: weed smokers!
September 09, 2012, 01:57:37 pm

yup!

buddah of brodie

#21 Re: weed smokers!
September 09, 2012, 03:53:45 pm
THATS IT!
final proof i have nothing in common with what this `sport` has become, just a load of wankers (literally) thinking this utterly pointless activity we all love has some significance, " you`d think these twats wandering around had discovered a cure for cancer" as my mate Danny said. We are mucking about on rocks, and its a lot more fun when yer baked, so wind yer neck in and get on with your oh so sad life, I will continue to keep the glowing end burning for Don Willans, Al Harris etc

tc

• junky
#22 Re: weed smokers!
September 09, 2012, 07:42:50 pm
I think every climber of the 70s would be turning in their grave( assuming they are dead) at this thread.

I'm not dead yet. And if some sanctimonious little shite gives me grief for having a smoke at the crag I'll batter him to death with my Lifetime Achievement Award for Pot Smoking. Jeeze, kids these days - sometimes I despair.

masonwoods101

• forum abuser
#23 Re: weed smokers!
September 09, 2012, 08:08:52 pm
drugs are bad hmm kay... dont do drugs

andy_e

• forum hero
#24 Re: weed smokers!
September 09, 2012, 09:36:34 pm
ARE ASYLUM SEEKERS BRINGING DRUGS TO OUR TEENAGERS AND LOWERING HOUSE PRICES?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal