UKBouldering.com

Avon gorge, south of the river, beta please (Read 5175 times)

crimp

Beta request please.

Hoping to get out in next few days for a boulder, and scout areas for when my daughter visits at Easter.

Does anybody have any beta on the south side donkey slide and gift from above?

Number of, and grade range of problems, any topos, photos, rock condition, etc?

Basically, is it worth the cycle trudge to go check it out?

Cheers

crimp

I wasn't expecting a flurry of replies. We're few down yer. Lukeyboy did give good useable info on my charlcomb cornice request, and don't reckon my status report on gollums probably retained to anybody.

If i go visit donkey slide and gift from above bouldering areas, does anybody care if i put photos and beta on the UKB Bristol wiki page?

Martin Crocker (legend) is working on definitive Avon guide. Will be some time yet. In the meantime, is it even worth me putting local details on site?

i_a_coops

• forum abuser
    • Ian Cooper
I might be moving to Bristol next year, although unless it's way better than Gollum's I'm definitely not interested  :P

I think it's always worth putting esoteric bouldering info on the internet, I'd never have found Forest Rock and Nunckley otherwise. The only caveat being, if it's totally crap then don't pretend it's some undiscovered Fontainebleau of the south west.

crimp

i say what i see (check other weeks status update from gollums, it's very shit right now)

Questioning whether it's worth putting bristol region stuff on wiki here. It's a bit peakscentric (and folks will give you grief over whether it's peak or peaks (who gives a shit what anyone calls it, we all know where we're on about))

i_a_coops

• forum abuser
    • Ian Cooper
I say do it if you can be bothered, people go on holiday, I've been really glad of internet info on Devon, Cornwall and Leicester and I don't live in any of those places.

Duma

• forum hero
Hi Crimp, I'm bristol based, and despite having wandered/ran/cycled past those bits many times, have never bothered to pull on, maybe better than it looks though?. The slide is fun though! Not much bouldering of worth in cycle range of town really IMO (ring road prob better later in the year) maybe best bet some easy routes on the north side?
If you can get to the coast north of weston there some stuff worth doing?
Oh, and I did appreciate the gollums update, cheers!

crimp

Cheers duma.

Was starting to feel a bit isolated on here.

If you're interested, was up trym valley at weekend. Rock is looking good, but ground above and below crags is horribly swampy. Best area elephant rock.

Monk

• regular
I'd be interested in an update on the gift from above boulder - I've been meaning to get there for years, but never got around to it as it's more hassle for me to get to the south side of the river.

crimp

When i visit, I'll try to put some photos and info up here for you.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Good to see all this local esoterica beginning to be collected in one place.

Meanwhile, as suggested by the thread title, a musical interlude:

crimp

Nicely done Duncan.

You're not DJ Derek are you? (It's a bris thing).

Hopefully going to donkey slide and gift from above on Wednesday (weather depending).

Will post pics and info.

Regards

shaun

crimp

Going to donkey slide/gift from above tomorrow (as long as weather holds off.

Hoping to put some info and photos on bristol  wiki.

Unfortunately, i am shit at modern tech stuff, despite slacklines assistance. I've followed wiki picture embedding page, i can't make it work.

If i email somebody photos or work out how to get them on am interweb effort; would somebody be kind enough to embed them to the wiki page for me?

Thanks in advance

ps they'll be mobular phone pics so won't be stunning, but may give people an idea whether its worth a visit.

Duma

• forum hero
Did you get over the river yesterday?

crimp

Hi duma.

Weather put me off yesterday, and again today. Am going tomorrow for a bike ride and a look see, whatever the weather (and hopefully touch rock). Will be there about
1 o clock if you want to say hello.

Cheers

Duma

• forum hero
Yeah, weather has got a bit grim. Hope you manage to stay dry tomorrow, I'm working then and all weekend sadly, otherwise would nip down (Off to font on monday though, so can't complain too much...).

crimp

No. Worries.

Will get some info up, unless i spend time there cowering from rain.

Be good to meet up sometime.

Enjoy font trip.

Regards

crimp

I might be moving to Bristol next year, although unless it's way better than Gollum's I'm definitely not interested  :P

I think it's always worth putting esoteric bouldering info on the internet, I'd never have found Forest Rock and Nunckley otherwise. The only caveat being, if it's totally crap then don't pretend it's some undiscovered Fontainebleau of the south west.

coops

there ain't no font of the south west. I am starting to put info on bristol wiki. There is plenty of seriously good bouldering shit hereabouts. Gollums is a shithole, and ain't one of them.

Look forward to seeing you hereabouts

crimp

Right. Today is my birthday!

So, what better time. I am finally saddling up my iron horse, and off to have a bimble and a look see at the gift from above. Birthday-gift. You get my drift.

I will of course report back on what i find.

There are another 4 pubs between here and there though, and i have a pannier full of blackthorn, so may take a while.

I shall be returning by the gorge (if only to tell people to stop treading on slow worms, and chat to the new quarry goats). If you're climbing there and you think you see me, say "happy birthday Adge", and I'll give you a can of cider and an insult. Can't say fairer than that.

crimp

There will be no gift from above update today.

I was having pints over pill. Was given abuse by fucking savages. They hate us. Pricks

Was picked up on their slipway by a shirehampton boat under a hail of mud and pint glasses.

Gift from above report another day.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal