UKBouldering.com

Fingerboard progression (Read 14625 times)

Styx

• regular
#25 Re: Fingerboard progression
August 24, 2012, 09:36:28 am

Also I'm a bit confused. Are you looking at doing:

Repeater 1 - holds 6 and 10,switching holds each 7 second hang?
  10 min rest
Repeater 2 - Holds 7 and 8, switching holds each 7 second hang?
  10 min rest
Repeater 3 - Holds 6 and 3, switching holds each 7 second hang?

Or:

Repeater 1 - LH 6 RH 10, 3min rest
Repeater 2 - LH 10 RH 6, 3min rest
Repeater 3 - LH 6 RH 10, 3min rest
Repeater 4 - LH 10 RH 6, 3min rest
Repeater 5 - LH 6 RH 10, 3min rest
Repeater 6 - LH 10 RH 6, 3min rest

Rest 10 min and repeat above for other grip combos.

Sorry, I over complicated what I was trying to say, you got the right end of the stick with your interpretation. I'm aiming for three sets of repeaters.

Thanks for the tips, it all sounds good.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#26 Re: Fingerboard progression
August 24, 2012, 10:35:49 am
Eva has updated about when weighted deadhangs are suitable which differs from what she seemed to imply initially when recommending the Progression fingerboard which I took to be synonymous with the weighted hangs approach:

Anyway.....

http://www.facebook.com/EvaLopezBlog

"There is something important that I want to remind all of you.
Climbers with:
- a low or medium level of finger strength: >15 seconds from a 24mm-deep edge, <40 seconds from a 20mm edge and <10 seconds from a 10mm edge;
- between 2-4 years of systematic climbing practice: > 4 climbing days/week,
- and/or those who haven't previously undergone intensive finger training or are younger than 18-20 and older than 16...
get significant results using medium intensity methods WITHOUT the need of using ADDED WEIGHT, because their body weight is enough to provide the load needed to induce positive adaptation.

Furthermore, based on Morrison and Schöffl (2007) there is really no place for the campus board, or the use of additional weights in deadhangs, in anyone under the age of roughly 18-20 years old."

The references on her blog to using unweighted hangs are:

"-Climbers with a low or medium level of finger strength, and/or those who haven't previously undergone intensive finger training, get significant results using mediu...m intensity methods without the need of using added weight, because their body weight is enough to provide the load needed to induce positive adaptation." ("Why progression?" entry);
-"Now regarding the use of methods without added weight: they are indicated for lower and medium level climbers, and I guess for you too, because you still don't reach the 8-second mark on a 10 mm edge. With them you can certainly improve a lot, and they are what's used during the first phases of training on Progression. But once you have consolidated the basics (more than 35-40'' on 20 mm or 15-20'' on 10 mm), I suggest you use added weight and edges of 20 or 18 mm" (in: Frequently Asked Questions about Progression and Finger Strength Training (II));
- "It is desirable to use the easiest possible intensity, volume, rest periods and method that are enough to yield gains. It is more effective to slowly increase the difficulty of methods and intensity level than to progress by leaps or very fast, because the long term progress will be greater and it will be safer when it comes to avoiding injuries" (in (in: Frequently Asked Questions about Progression and Finger Strength Training (I))
- "However recently I have observed that the lower level climbers can equally benefit from performing only the small edge method. This is because their body weight provides enough stimuli to induce gains; it is also in line with the recommendation of using at every stage the easiest method and intensity that still provokes adaptation to provide a sustained long-term development instead of a faster, short-term one." (article published in UKClimbing.com)"

« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 11:42:35 am by shark »

Styx

• regular
#27 Re: Fingerboard progression
August 28, 2012, 06:37:56 pm
I just finished the workout I mentioned above, one word... fierce.

... for a weakling like me. It felt great though, I hadn't tried working back three before and it got me much more worked than hangs on front 3.

I'm looking forward to my toe healing so I can get down to the climbing wall and see how this fingerboarding has translates to real world performance.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#28 Re: Fingerboard progression
August 28, 2012, 06:57:09 pm
see how this fingerboarding has translates to real world performance.
I can already give you an answer, the answer that none of us like: "not very well". Or at least not as one would expect. You'll probably feel much better on some holds, but the road to overall climbing progression is much harder, sadly.
Remember that unless you take care of it, core tension suffers a lot from prolonged fingerboarding.
Anyway, I've never met a climber who thinks his/her fingers are too strong, so...
Back to the fingerboard!!!
 :2thumbsup:

Styx

• regular
#29 Re: Fingerboard progression
August 28, 2012, 07:03:50 pm
see how this fingerboarding has translates to real world performance.
I can already give you an answer, the answer that none of us like: "not very well". Or at least not as one would expect. You'll probably feel much better on some holds, but the road to overall climbing progression is much harder, sadly.
Remember that unless you take care of it, core tension suffers a lot from prolonged fingerboarding.
Anyway, I've never met a climber who thinks his/her fingers are too strong, so...
Back to the fingerboard!!!
 :2thumbsup:

Aye, I'm not expecting miracles but finger strength has always been a massive downfall for me. My technique is good and has got me to where I am but on certain routes/problems I get totally shut down because I don't have the ability to stick the hold, even though I can reach it every time. It's all part of a much grander scheme to get me fighting fit for later this year anyhoo.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#30 Re: Fingerboard progression
August 28, 2012, 07:08:01 pm
Good to know you have a precise idea, stick at it!

Styx

• regular
#31 Re: Fingerboard progression
September 29, 2012, 05:06:30 pm
Bit of an update:

My toe has been super slow to heal, after several x-rays, MRI's and consultants appointments it looks like I have some nerve damage to deal with as well. Climbing shoes were totally out of the question for a couple of months so I stuck to beasting it on the fingerboard 2-3 times a week and getting out on my mountain bike.

In the last few weeks I've been able to climb indoors by wearing flat, stiff soled shoes that are a full size too big. Surprisingly, I was able to redpoint a super sustained 6c after a couple of sessions and then flashed a 6c+ in the following session. Not bad considering my previous best was 6b+ and I was wearing shit shoes!

I've been sticking to the workout I detailed above but it's starting to feel relatively easy so I'm going to kick it up a (small) notch today and see how I get on.

Thanks for all the input folks!

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#32 Re: Fingerboard progression
September 30, 2012, 06:18:55 pm
Good job sticking with the fingerboard!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal