UKBouldering.com

Keen Roof repeat (Read 13252 times)

turnipturned

• forum abuser
Keen Roof repeat
August 16, 2012, 05:33:56 pm
Big lanky fucker did Keen Roof must be dry! EFFORT MR NEWBERRY!!! But surely you're not missing thursday night depot sesh???

tim palmer

• forum abuser
#1 Re: Keen Roof repeat
August 16, 2012, 05:36:26 pm
keen roof or keen reach?

turnipturned

• forum abuser
#2 Re: Keen Roof repeat
August 16, 2012, 05:48:02 pm
Dunno!Roof I think anyways whatever he defo got the best tan of all ascentionists!

Doylo

• forum hero
#3 Re: Keen Roof repeat
August 16, 2012, 05:50:51 pm
keen roof or keen reach?
Keen Reach , ha ha

tim palmer

• forum abuser
#4 Re: Keen Roof repeat
August 16, 2012, 05:57:35 pm
keen roof or keen reach?
Keen Reach , ha ha

oh well, I couldn't hold back the pettiness anymore
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 06:06:13 pm by tim palmer »

Doylo

• forum hero
#5 Re: Keen Roof repeat
August 16, 2012, 06:18:04 pm
keen roof or keen reach?
Keen Reach , ha ha

lanky cheating bastards  :spank:

tim palmer

• forum abuser
#6 Re: Keen Roof repeat
August 16, 2012, 06:21:34 pm
keen roof or keen reach?
Keen Reach , ha ha

lanky cheating bastards  :spank:

Exactly, someone has to stand up to these acromegalic f*cks

nodder

• obsessive maniac
#7 Re: Keen Roof repeat
August 16, 2012, 09:27:08 pm
ah fuck you all. 
cunting short bastards, its not our fault you have shit genetics

turnipturned

• forum abuser
#8 Re: Keen Roof repeat
August 16, 2012, 10:54:47 pm
Wind it in Palmer, your biceps aren't meant to be the same size as your quadriceps :P How did you get on with fat lip?
Newberry's = UK answer to Dave Graham!

tim palmer

• forum abuser
#9 Re: Keen Roof repeat
August 17, 2012, 12:13:01 am
ah fuck you all. 
cunting short bastards, its not our fault you have shit genetics

True but it is your fault you choose to lank and knee bar your way through boulder problems

dave

#10 Re: Keen Roof repeat
August 17, 2012, 07:46:08 am
Apparently oompa-loompas don't have knees, I'd better get my thin violin out then.

tim palmer

• forum abuser
#11 Re: Keen Roof repeat
August 17, 2012, 08:09:49 am
? Thin violin.

It is a hard life, impossible to keep the weight down when you are paid in chocolate

andy_e

• forum hero
#12 Re: Keen Roof repeat
August 17, 2012, 09:12:51 am

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#13 Re: Keen Roof repeat
August 17, 2012, 09:32:04 am

granticus

• forum abuser
#14 Re: Keen Roof repeat
August 17, 2012, 11:10:51 am
Greffort Tom!  :clap2:  Take the 8b and take abuse for being a lanky git too.  Expecting a few N.Devon projects to be dispatched in due course.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#15 Re: Keen Roof repeat
August 17, 2012, 11:12:52 am
Phil Rose was also reported as doing this recently.

Who else has done this to date? How big a deal is the problem?

dave

#16 Re: Keen Roof repeat
August 17, 2012, 11:58:21 am
I saw polish dave fall off this repeatedly a few years back after having one hand on the lip and pissing to that point, not sure if he's done it since. This convinced me that its not a path if you're tall and very strong. I'd say its still a biggish deal as 8bs go, but being all there, roadside and not highball or silly crimpy or whatever it must be one of the more accessible 8bs.

Interestingly, on the big lip hold on this there used to be a very sharp little spike on it that mysterisouly disappeared about the same time that the early repeats started to come in.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#17 Re: Keen Roof repeat
August 17, 2012, 12:04:26 pm
Apparently oompa-loompas don't have knees, I'd better get my thin violin out then.

You tall folk have really big hands too. Or is that just fat handed twatism.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#18 Re: Keen Roof repeat
August 17, 2012, 12:11:14 pm
I saw polish dave fall off this repeatedly a few years back after having one hand on the lip and pissing to that point, not sure if he's done it since. This convinced me that its not a path if you're tall and very strong. I'd say its still a biggish deal as 8bs go, but being all there, roadside and not highball or silly crimpy or whatever it must be one of the more accessible 8bs.

Interestingly, on the big lip hold on this there used to be a very sharp little spike on it that mysterisouly disappeared about the same time that the early repeats started to come in.

Thanks for the context/background.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#19 Re: Keen Roof repeat
August 17, 2012, 12:30:23 pm
, but being all there, roadside and not highball or silly crimpy or whatever it must be one of the more accessible 8bs.

Ticks all the boxes.

Paul B

• forum hero
#20 Re: Keen Roof repeat
August 17, 2012, 12:33:15 pm

Interestingly the right hand pocket was also said to have enlarged after being blow torched, I have no idea if this is true.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#21 Re: Keen Roof repeat
August 17, 2012, 12:36:38 pm
, but being all there, roadside and not highball or silly crimpy or whatever it must be one of the more accessible 8bs.

Ticks all the boxes.

And a whiff of scandal too

dave

#22 Re: Keen Roof repeat
August 17, 2012, 12:51:43 pm
got a rich simpson link too, if you look back to the old threads when originally done. All it needs now is a replaced chockstone and a patio landing.

andy_e

• forum hero
#23 Re: Keen Roof repeat
August 17, 2012, 01:11:22 pm

You tall folk have really big hands too. Or is that just fat handed twatism.

That's a symptom of acromelagy.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#24 Re: Keen Roof repeat
August 17, 2012, 01:53:51 pm
I saw polish dave fall off this repeatedly a few years back after having one hand on the lip and pissing to that point, not sure if he's done it since.

Yeah, he has. Think he thought it was still 7C ish from that point. For him it was a power endurance problem.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#25 Re: Keen Roof repeat
August 17, 2012, 02:16:13 pm
got a rich simpson link too, if you look back to the old threads when originally done. All it needs now is a replaced chockstone and a patio landing.

;D

http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,6056.0.html

:worms:

Whilst completing meaningless tasks at work today, I gave a lot of consideration to the above topic. After thinking it over I feel compelled to follow up my previous comments, in which I held back a little with the fear of sounding bitter or bringing a controversial nature to what is a good effort by James. However, in doing so important history of this problem has been held back to.

I cannot see how James line can be classed as a first ascent. I climbed this line, sans the first 2 moves (English 5c/6a) several times, but considered it only progress on what was to be the full line from the back of the cave starting as per bens roof, hence no first ascent claim.

Obviously James considers his line to be the most worthy way to start the problem, yet this adds pretty much nothing to what had already been climbed previously- starting from the two good holds and climbing out.

Therefore, as discussed throughout this thread, James line should be considered a variation on what I climbed, except I feel my line is a non-line and somewhat incomplete without a starting at the beginning of Bens roof.

Obviously opinions differentiate, yet surely one cannot claim a first ascent, nor remove significance of a previously climbed line by adding 2 moves of relative ease.
From a previous discussion at this problem, James was aware that I had climbed this problem from the stated place and also agreed that the line is 8a+ from here.
I feel it's important that just because I didn't shout about, nor publicize my incomplete ascent, there is still no reason for it to be brushed under the carpet until superseded- which it is yet to be.

Im sorry for bringing as downer on a somewhat impressive effort. However this line, although attempted very little, meant a great deal to me and I am not happy for it to be bought into disrepute

« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 02:29:13 pm by shark »

Paul B

• forum hero
#26 Re: Keen Roof repeat
August 17, 2012, 02:55:23 pm
Yeah, he has. Think he thought it was still 7C ish from that point. For him it was a power endurance problem.

The end is a pretty good little problem in itself.

dave

#27 Re: Keen Roof repeat
August 17, 2012, 03:02:01 pm
I presume 7c grade is from one hand in the big keen undercut in the roof - from both hands on the lip its a really good 7a+ish up the keen roof finish.

r-man

• forum hero
#28 Re: Keen Roof repeat
August 17, 2012, 03:13:38 pm
Yeah, bringing the other hand out is the tough bit.

dave

#29 Re: Keen Roof repeat
August 17, 2012, 03:18:36 pm
yeah that move looked a right bastard.

tim palmer

• forum abuser
#30 Re: Keen Roof repeat
August 18, 2012, 12:24:29 am
Yeah, bringing the other hand out is the tough bit.

the only really hard move on the problem is going off the pocket and undercut crimp to the lip, the rest is trivial in comparison.  If you don't do do that move i.e. reach past it and go jug to jug, it is easier, that is all my silly comment was eluding to. 

c.j.d.

• forum abuser
  • Great.
#31 Re: Keen Roof repeat
August 18, 2012, 11:37:38 am
Maybe it should just get English 7a then Tim  ;)!   This has been done by various people of varying shapes and sizes, all putting forward the same grade.  Both Polish Dave and Welsh Nodder Dave did it with different sequences, along with other shorter people doing it with different sequences all at 8b.  Good effort to them all on a sound 8b.

Its the same old British story really - lets give people negative feedback for cool bits of climbing, and bicker until everything is 7c+, one of the main reasons why international standards are increasing with great and fun scenes, and we are all becoming known as a nation of grumpy know it all cnuts, still stuck where we were 10 years ago.

More interestingly though - Tim - how did you get on with Fat Lip?  I looked at this, but didn't try it.  Looks good - did you do it?

Also, a real challenge - Keen Roof to finish up the original Hook (not the cop out using the hold out left with heel hook).  Definitely not 'morpho', whatever the fuck that is, but most certainly an eliminate (albeit a very cool and powerful one, and direct).

r-man

• forum hero
#32 Re: Keen Roof repeat
August 18, 2012, 12:39:41 pm
the only really hard move on the problem is going off the pocket and undercut crimp to the lip, the rest is trivial in comparison.  If you don't do do that move i.e. reach past it and go jug to jug, it is easier, that is all my silly comment was eluding to. 

James also came unstuck on the comparitively easy 7A+ section several times before he did the FA. It's not just tall person syndrome! I'm going to stop defending tall people now, they really don't deserve it.

Also, a real challenge - Keen Roof to finish up the original Hook (not the cop out using the hold out left with heel hook).  Definitely not 'morpho', whatever the fuck that is, but most certainly an eliminate (albeit a very cool and powerful one, and direct).

I can tell who you've been hanging around with!

Has anyone repeated Fat Lip yet? Surprising if not, it's a good line. I did the crux moves individually and got quite excited, but never went back. So it's probably only 7C+.  ;)

tim palmer

• forum abuser
#33 Re: Keen Roof repeat
August 19, 2012, 03:36:31 pm
Has anyone repeated Fat Lip yet? Surprising if not, it's a good line. I did the crux moves individually and got quite excited, but never went back. So it's probably only 7C+.  ;)

More interestingly though - Tim - how did you get on with Fat Lip?  I looked at this, but didn't try it.  Looks good - did you do it?

A definate no chris, Fat lip is much harder than keen roof (but keen is harder than mandala sit) with the standard horses for courses caveat.  Doing the individual moves isn't that hard when it is in good nick but linking them is really really tricky.  Climbs really well though.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 03:43:00 pm by tim palmer »

c.j.d.

• forum abuser
  • Great.
#34 Re: Keen Roof repeat
August 20, 2012, 08:35:10 am
Good effort on doing the moves.  I'm proper psyched on the Tor right now due to a whirlwind tour a couple of weeks back. Lots of good stuff to go at!

turnipturned

• forum abuser
#35 Re: Keen Roof repeat
September 03, 2012, 10:57:19 am
Its the same old British story really - lets give people negative feedback for cool bits of climbing, and bicker until everything is 7c+, one of the main reasons why international standards are increasing with great and fun scenes, and we are all becoming known as a nation of grumpy know it all cnuts, still stuck where we were 10 years ago.

Nice words Chris.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal